Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wizarding Styles

Default Wizarding Styles

Just wondering two things basically. 1) I currently have a Wizard who is specializing in fire. Is there a major difference in playing wizards that are other elements, say water or air instead? Or is it largely flavor with little real difference?

2) It seems like Wizards are currently designed to be entirely bolt based.. yet their CS for warding can be pretty strong from what I have been able to research. But other than chromatic circle there seems to be like one or maybe two other spells useful for hunting that are cs based? Is it just a really insane idea then to build a wizard to be a non-bolter?

1) 908 is my main attack spell, the splash can stun as well for crowd control. That being said I have not found a reason to Attune to an element, it seems more an RP choice than a hunting benefit.

2) 502 can be a nice setup if the critter stuns but basically mages bolt, the other CS spells are either mana intensive or not as damaging for the cost. 519 was down-tweaked but 917 hits harder than in the past, still a lot of mana until near cap. As for 409/415 - feh, 3 or 4 casts of 903/904 seem more effective. 901 actually gives the biggest bang for the mana buck if you have the time the cast it repeatedly without rapid fire.

"You're well beyond training for a reason."...Gelston

Other than warmages, I'd say its still possible to have a CS based non bolting wizard. But with the changes to 519/415 its not as powerful as it once was. Not to mention will be extremely mana intensive. As for 502, its more of a setup spell to be used along with bolt/ball spells. My wizard is near cap and I will be doing 101 in wizard circle, 75 in MnE, and 127 in Mje. As a DE he will have a CS of 553 but I will be utilizing that CS for mana leeching not really 519/502.

Another option to consider is pumping even more ranks into Wizard and utilizing 917 as your main form of attack. But 917 is less effective on heavier armored foes.

Thank you! That helps a lot! He is attuned to fire basically for RP reasons. I was debating making a second wizard and doing a different element or trying a more CS based path if it would be viable but I think I will stick with what I have for now. If I keep playing with new characters I will never cap...sheesh.

Out of curiosity, if I want to get into enchanting, is there anything outside of the "normal" wizard build that I need to deal with? I was looking at the enchanting documentation and it didn't seem like my fire wizard would have any particular issues as he is (other than I need to get some water lore).

My wizard is fire attuned and has 52 ranks in fire lore, mostly for the bonus to 513 but also so he can use throwaway +28 runestaves [ebladed deringo]. I'm not built for enchanting but with only .5x in AS, 1x in MIU, and 1x wizard circle I have "you can only fail if you are horribly unlucky" (~99% success) reading on 6x HCP armor in "perfect" conditions (workshop, no encumbrance, and familiar present). So you can be a decent enchanter just based on wizard spell ranks. I did pick up 5 ranks of water lore so I can "collect" mana but its the bare minimum. One slightly annoying thing that comes with fire lore/attunement is mana spell ups automatically choose the fire aspect for 520. While I much prefer the earth aspect of 520.

Quote Originally Posted by Scisco View Post
    Just wondering two things basically. 1) I currently have a Wizard who is specializing in fire. Is there a major difference in playing wizards that are other elements, say water or air instead? Or is it largely flavor with little real difference?

2) It seems like Wizards are currently designed to be entirely bolt based.. yet their CS for warding can be pretty strong from what I have been able to research. But other than chromatic circle there seems to be like one or maybe two other spells useful for hunting that are cs based? Is it just a really insane idea then to build a wizard to be a non-bolter?
    Immolate wizards used to be good but Estild ruined all things CS based for wizards because he's stupid.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
    One slightly annoying thing that comes with fire lore/attunement is mana spell ups automatically choose the fire aspect for 520. While I much prefer the earth aspect of 520.
    Prep 520, Cast Earth

Quote Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
    One slightly annoying thing that comes with fire lore/attunement is mana spell ups automatically choose the fire aspect for 520. While I much prefer the earth aspect of 520.
    That's based on just your attunement.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    That's based on just your attunement.
    Attunist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
    Attunist.
    I can't be attunist. I have a friend who's an earth mage. I also used to be fire attuned but now I'm water attuned. Looks like the real attunist here is you. Attunist.

EDIT: Reported.
    Last edited by Methais; 01-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.