Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Did Trump Say It or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    "Trump is kicking 200,000 Salvadorans out of the United States and forcing them back to a gang violence-ravaged and impoverished disaster zone." -Sally Kohn on CNN

What a shithole El Salvador sounds like...
    whoosh indeed.

No one disagrees that El Salvador or Haiti are in very bad shape right now. That does not mean the people from those countries shouldn't be allowed to immigrate to the US, and that's what Trump said. He wants people from Norway, not Haiti or El Salvador. That's the racism in his remarks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kembal View Post
    whoosh indeed.

No one disagrees that El Salvador or Haiti are in very bad shape right now. That does not mean the people from those countries shouldn't be allowed to immigrate to the US, and that's what Trump said. He wants people from Norway, not Haiti or El Salvador. That's the racism in his remarks.
    They need to immigrate to Norway before immigrating here. It is that fucking simple.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Rocktar~ View Post
    Because they don't want to go back and don't want their kids to go back so they should become citizens.
    People on TPS can't get a green card or naturalize absent marrying a US citizen (or having a family relationship that allows them to be sponsored for a green card), an employer sponsoring them for a green card (forces the employer to pay them higher wages and costs money to do, so not easily happening), or applying for asylum.

It still has tons of natural resources. It's a corrupt dumpster fire and has been for decades. Next door, on the SAME ISLAND is the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is much better educated, richer, has less crime and is a vacation hot spot. Meanwhile, Haiti is still a corrupt, broke, ignorrant, shithole. The people of the Dominican Republic have worked all along to build education, national pride, fight corruption and build the rule of law. The very same things that have made the rest of the developed world rise above shitholes like Haiti. Blaming Haiti's lack of buildup on others is simple minded. OH and the Clintons stole or squandered billions in hurricane relief aid and somehow have avoided much scrutiny over it.
    Yes, the US government came in, overthrew the government of the country, occupied it for 19 years, and then installed a corrupt dictator to rule it afterwards. Not exactly the way to build lasting institutions to overcome corruption. The fact that the Dominican Republic is doing well is because it avoided all that. You literally proved my argument for me.

Big difference! No wonder everybody is calling out Sen. Durbin for his misrepresentation.

The debate over President Trump's use of vulgar language when discussing immigration appears to be shifting, leaving some to question what exactly the president said in his Oval Office meeting last week. National Review editor Rich Lowry says the president didn't use the word sh*thole but rather, sh*thouse.

"He used a different -- my understanding from the meeting, he used a different, but very closely related vulgarity. He said 's-house,' and not 's-hole.' That's not going to make a difference to anyone. But the general remarks -- yes -- I'd like to have a transcript, because everyone is putting so much weight on this to see exactly what was said in what ways, but the general tenor of the discussion has been reported accurately," Lowry told ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos on Sunday.

Neither word has positive connotations, and their meanings are similar. A "sh*thole" is "an extremely dirty, shabby, or otherwise unpleasant place," according to Oxford Dictionaries, while a "sh*thouse" is "a toilet" or "an extremely unpleasant place." But Washington Post reporter Josh Dawsey reported that this difference is the basis for the recent denials of Sens. Tom Cotton, R-Arkansas, and David Perdue, R-Georgia, that Mr. Trump used "sh*thole" to refer to the countries. Both senators were present at the meeting when the president was said by Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, to have uttered the phrase.

More...

whoosh indeed.

No.

President Trump is saying that entry into this country via legal immigration should be merit based and not based on some other metric.

Typically, people from Norway are more educated, have better skills and can contribute to the tax base instead of being a drain on it.

Yes, the US government came in, overthrew the government of the country, occupied it for 19 years, and then installed a corrupt dictator to rule it afterwards. Not exactly the way to build lasting institutions to overcome corruption. The fact that the Dominican Republic is doing well is because it avoided all that. You literally proved my argument for me.
    Because the corrupt dictator they deposed was so much better and healthy for them, or don't you remember the issues under Papa Doc? How about the issues under Aristide? And then the fact they have basically swapped back and forth among the same 3 corrupt pieces of shit since then hasn't helped. Are you actually arguing in favor of Papa Doc or Aristide? Seriously? Do you even history? The issues they have are self imposed, I might believe it's a valid excuse if it was just 3-5 years after such happened. They have had multiple elections and after 2 decades, it's a choice.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Because they don't want to go back and don't want their kids to go back so they should become citizens.
    They don't want to go back right now. That's the point of temporary protected status. This isn't a Republican vs. Democrat issue, people from this part of the world enjoyed this status throughout the Bush administration. Natural disasters have happened to be more frequent there recently, and most of us understand that we can take reasonable steps to alleviate the suffering caused by natural disasters, and we all benefit when we do.
    Because the corrupt dictator they deposed was so much better and healthy for them, or don't you remember the issues under Papa Doc? How about the issues under Aristide? And then the fact they have basically swapped back and forth among the same 3 corrupt pieces of shit since then hasn't helped. Are you actually arguing in favor of Papa Doc or Aristide? Seriously? Do you even history? The issues they have are self imposed, I might believe it's a valid excuse if it was just 3-5 years after such happened. They have had multiple elections and after 2 decades, it's a choice.
    Papa Doc won his elections with 100% and 99.9% of the vote. A reasonable person might look at these and conclude that they were rigged, and pretty blatantly so. It is of course your right as an American to conclude that the people of Haiti actually did self-impose this dictatorship, but I think you are going to have to go a long way to find anyone who takes such a conclusion seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    No.

President Trump is saying that entry into this country via legal immigration should be merit based and not based on some other metric.

Typically, people from Norway are more educated, have better skills and can contribute to the tax base instead of being a drain on it.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Axios has a list of how this "uniquely American obscenity" has been translated in other countries..

• China: "Cesspit."
    • Taiwan: "Countries where birds don't lay eggs."
    • Japan: "Countries that are dirty like toilets" or "dripping with excrement."
    • Korea: "Beggars' den."
    • Croatia: "The place wolves like to f–––."
    • Tanzania: "Dirty countries."

More...

China and Tanzania got it about right. Um, Croatia?

I'm disappointed that Japan wasn't listed as tentacle rape capital.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible