Thread: Southern Reach trilogy- books + movies

Default Southern Reach trilogy- books + movies

The first book in the series, Annihilation, is due out next month. The three book series, Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance, tell different parts of the same story involving a mysterious "area-x". Frankly, the less said about the specifics of the book the better. Generally speaking, the books are sci-fi/horror/thrillers. They focus on details and a little bit of knowledge about the subjects and discussions that occur inside the story. There are very few specific answers and a lot of the story is up for debate. They are fairly quick reads and I personally found myself sucked into the world. I read all three books over the course of about a week.

The movie seems to be fairly close to what I was expecting in some regards and might be veering off into another direction in others. This isn't entirely unexpected given the source material but could end up causing the whole thing to crash and burn. I am hopefully optimistic about it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Reach_Trilogy

The critical response for the series was extremely positive. Slate called the trilogy one of "the most uncompromising—yet most rewarding—genre series" while authors like Stephen King praised the series calling it "creepy and fascinating". The New York Times wrote a full page review of the final book, Acceptance, calling it "pure reading pleasure" and adding that "VanderMeer has created an immersive and wonderfully realized world."

The series ended up being highly honored, with Annihilation winning the Nebula[12] and Shirley Jackson Awards for Best Novel. The entire trilogy was also named a finalist for the 2015 World Fantasy Award and the 2016 Kurd-Laßwitz-Preis.

Anyone else read the series or interested in the trailer?

I listened to the whole series on audible, they are really great and disturbing for long dark drives home in winter. I didn't know they had been optioned, thank you for posting this.

The trailer looks a lot more action-packed than I remember Annihilation being, so I'm a little skeptical that they will stick that closely to Ghost Bird's characterization in the later books if they proceed with filming the trilogy... But I would see this movie. I don't have trouble viewing adaptations as something basically separate from source material.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GS4-Seomanthe View Post
    I listened to the whole series on audible, they are really great and disturbing for long dark drives home in winter. I didn't know they had been optioned, thank you for posting this.

The trailer looks a lot more action-packed than I remember Annihilation being, so I'm a little skeptical that they will stick that closely to Ghost Bird's characterization in the later books if they proceed with filming the trilogy... But I would see this movie. I don't have trouble viewing adaptations as something basically separate from source material.
    I'm always looking for good audible recommendations since I commute so much. Downloaded. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by GS4-Seomanthe View Post

Yeah, as most people are aware, I have poor reading comprehension and retention. I'm going to re-read the series again to see how much is changed.

So, kinda a spoiler - you COULD say that the movie is closer to what REALLY happened considering the whole unreliable narrator part of the first book.
    Last edited by AnOrdim; 01-10-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks for posting this, I'm going to have to read this series now. Also, hurray Natalie Portman!
    You slap Walkar's cheek, hard.
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jhynnifer View Post
    Thanks for posting this, I'm going to have to read this series now. Also, hurray Natalie Portman!
    She overuses her eyebrows and it annoys me. Almost as much as Julia Robert's horse laugh that she uses in every fucking movie. I just want to slap them both.
    Last edited by Tisket; 01-10-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    She overuses her eyebrows and it annoys me. Almost as much as Julia Robert's horse laugh that she uses in every fucking movie. I just want to slap them both.
    LOL. How do you feel about Emilia Clark? I think she uses the eyebrow thing twice as much as Portman.
    You slap Walkar's cheek, hard.
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jhynnifer View Post
    LOL. How do you feel about Emilia Clark? I think she uses the eyebrow thing twice as much as Portman.
    Absolutely. I just want to shave them off.
    I like penis.