Thread: Stupid-Check Me Please

Default Stupid-Check Me Please

Hoping to get some of you smart people to stupid check my new character. Because I'm needy, and usually miss something.

Elf Ranger, proposed starting stats follow:

STR 75
    CON 70
    DEX 50
    AGI 65
    DIS 75
    AUR 75
    LOG 80
    INT 60
    WIS 65
    INF 45

Found it difficult to find stats I really liked. But this will give me a 3 second longbow RT from the open with 509 by level 15, which is nice for quality of life. Otherwise it leaves room for decent growth. Some of my prime stats start out a little bit lower than I'd normally like, but DEX for example will grow up to a decent bonus of 15 by level 20. Anyone see any glaring issues or reasons why I might reconsider?

Any issue with the lower dex or int? I'm noticing I'm sucking at skinning way more than i expected I would with 604 and 1x each. Rarely ever get exceptional quality. But i'm not sure if that's resulting from my stats or just being low level, i've never really had a serious skinner before.

Training follows:

1x armor to 30 ranks for brig
    2x ranged
    1x dodge
    1x PF
    1x harness power
    1x ambush to start, then I start doubling a decent bit around 20. Ends up at 1.5x by around 40.
    .5x climb and swim
    2x hiding/stalking
    2x perception
    1x Survival
    1x First Aid

Spells by level 20: Ranger 20, Mns 3. Then planning to 1x for life. (up to 640 then 120)

Only thing I'm really seeing in training is that I've got no points left over for spirit mana control. I could drop back to 1x on the ambush and afford it, or could just as easily drop the extra 3 spell ranks prior to 20. Any opinions on ambush? I'd like to be a sniper sooner than later, but since I can't start 2xing until around 20 anyway I'm not sure it'll get me to effectively aiming THAT much faster...would make more sense to try and pre-load the 2x of anything, but just cant afford it. Anyone mind giving me a rough estimate on when hiding/sniping becomes effective for a ranger...I remember it being around 20-25 on my rogue but that was years ago and with different weapon types/training.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Is your character wearing his PT belt?

Anyone mind giving me a rough estimate on when hiding/sniping becomes effective for a ranger...I remember it being around 20-25 on my rogue but that was years ago and with different weapon types/training.
    Around level 30. Don't bother training in ambush until 30-40 and you should be able to find the points for it. You may never be able to 2x it unless you're going to give up lots of tertiary skills -- depends on what you want to focus on.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

I've not been able to get SMC on my ranger and he's lvl 65 now but I do wish I had. I did my spells the same way you did and if I were doing it again I'd skip that 3 spirit spells and keep at Ranger = Level. Use those points for something else. Also consider taking 1 rank in blessing and then try to get 25 in summoning.

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    I've not been able to get SMC on my ranger and he's lvl 65 now but I do wish I had. I did my spells the same way you did and if I were doing it again I'd skip that 3 spirit spells and keep at Ranger = Level. Use those points for something else. Also consider taking 1 rank in blessing and then try to get 25 in summoning.
    Thanks for the advice. Are you 2x ambush as well?

I like the idea of having 103 and 101 at my disposal, but honestly they're so easy to get from an outside source the temptation to save the points is huge.
    Last edited by Nosh; 01-08-2018 at 02:00 PM.

I was doing Ranged and Brawl which ate a ton of points but I did everything I could to get 2x perception and 2x ambush with 1x s/h. I used UAC on undead and animals (things that are hard to hide from) and Sniping on bandits or other dumb critters. Sniping worked pretty well by level 20. Although I couldn't guarantee crit kills to the eyeball all the time it was still quite effective.

What Society are you?

[QUOTE=cwolff;2000357

What Society are you?[/QUOTE]

I'm currently in Sunfist, but I'm not sold on it. Getting 5 warcamps is a bitch, and I'm finding elves have way less stamina than I expected on account of CON and DIS being garbage. I think i'm showing him at 68 stamina around level 30 which doesn't seem like it'll give much flexibility for signs outside of keeping up bane and offense.

That being said, hunting undead does not seem like it's in the archer wheelhouse (unless I got UAC as well) and I'm an elf so spirit loss isn't attractive either.
    Last edited by Nosh; 01-08-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Ya sunfist is hard. I try to get it done from level 5-18ish. Before they start using bad spells on you. It's a good one for the archer ranger though and especially if you don't have brawl. Sigil Determination lets you keep shooting through rank 2 arm wounds that otherwise will cut a hunt short. As a sniper though, it'll be harder to hurt you but you'll still get hurt.