Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense against CMANs

Default Defense against CMANs

Greetings.

Trying to find the best way to hunt bandits as a pure and am wondering all the facts that go into general defense against CMANs. Bandits wreck me as a pure as there are too many crit kills from sbash and other various skills.

My question is, what skills provide general defense to CMANs? I know that cunning defense at rank 5 gives a +15 to end roll against all CMANs. Is there anything else that helps? IE perception, PF, survival, dodge, etc. Anything at all?

Thanks for any help you can give. All I have found so far is that someone told me that training in CMAN itself gives you a +1 to end roll for every 10 ranks of CMAN trained. I haven’t found this anywhere on the wiki or forums, just from an individual.

Thanks!
    "Freedom for those who fought for it, is a taste the protected will never know" -Unknown

I think perception will help reduce the DS pushdown when a bandit ambushes from hiding, and it'll also help spot traps.
    Looking for: krodera items, the gleaming krodera long knife, oldstyle katanas

August 20, 2006
    >just ban
    You are currently banished from Wehnimer's Landing.

>ask clerk about citizen
    The clerk says, "Hrrrm, Mogonis, you do seem to be eligible for full citizenship. Just WRITE your name in the book if you wish to make it official."

>write book
    You sign your name into the citizenship registration book, fully agreeing to the duties and privileges full citizenship provides you.

I’m 1x perception now...might have to go 2x. I know perception helps with traps and so does survival. Didn’t know about pushdown benefits.
    "Freedom for those who fought for it, is a taste the protected will never know" -Unknown

I think the only defense against CMans is CDefense and learning any CMan you can that is being used against you. Obviously there's a limited list for pures.
    Looking for: krodera items, the gleaming krodera long knife, oldstyle katanas

August 20, 2006
    >just ban
    You are currently banished from Wehnimer's Landing.

>ask clerk about citizen
    The clerk says, "Hrrrm, Mogonis, you do seem to be eligible for full citizenship. Just WRITE your name in the book if you wish to make it official."

>write book
    You sign your name into the citizenship registration book, fully agreeing to the duties and privileges full citizenship provides you.

5. Default

I rub the moonstone cubes too.

Solid moonstone cube
    A solid moonstone cube is a magical item commonly found in the treasure system that is imbeded with Martial Prowess (1705), a spell that adds +10 to Combat Maneuver offense and defense rolls within the CML. They give no benefit to non-CML maneuvers.
    A solid moonstone cube can be activated using the RUB verb, with no Magic Item Use skill requirement, and generally contains one to two charges. This item is very similar to a heavy quartz orb, however meant to benefit weapon users instead of magic users.
    Heavy moonstone cubes are exactly the same as solid moonstone cubes, except that they are rechargeable.
    bid 1337
    Dett *BANGS* his gavel! "The bidding is now open for lot number 21: a grey-swirled coraesine relic! Who will start the bidding at 20 silvers?"
    >

The auctioneer nods to you as you bid 1,337 silvers.
    >
    The auctioneer calls out, "Ardwen bids 175,000,000 silvers! New bids must be at least 192,500,000 silvers."

le sigh.

Blog Entries

Solid Moonstone Cubes contain the spell Martial Prowess (1705) to give you +10 against CMANS (but not critter maneuver attacks). Those are good to use for Bandits.

Bah, beat by less than a minute.
    Last edited by Fallen; 12-25-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

CMAN training, physical fitness, perception, moonstone cubes. Not sure what your profession is, but as an empath you have easy access to 3x physical fitness, which assists heavily into defense against cmans. As noted, you should be getting CDEFENSE when the points allow, but multi training cman as a pure is very difficult. Your best bets are training CMAN as applicable, multi training physical fitness and perception.

Walk slowly when doing Bandits. That will help mitigate traps and initial ambushes but you'll still get hit. Try to survive the first attack and then throw an AOE spell. After that pick them off one by one. Most of us can get spelled up enough that regular melee attacks don't do much, but those CMAN's and maneuvers are a bitch and I've always been surprised how fragile my pures are when they get cman'ed by some A-hole bandit.

Sorcerer. Already 1x PF and 1x perception. I have the TPs where I could 1x in CMANs but really the CMAN to help a lot with bandits are cdef. I don’t die unless insta killed from sbash, sstrike, or something of the likes. I guess I can pick up cdef and then go 2x perc. Other than that, just keep tinkering.

Blog Entries

Using Animates to help protect you when you're pinned in RT can be quite useful as a Sorcerer. Bandits themselves make pretty damned good animates if you have the MAL to use them.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites