Thread: Dealing with boxes as a warrior

Default Dealing with boxes as a warrior

Ok, so, I find that I don't really profit from the boxes I find. Sloot opens them at the locksmith and sells the contents, sure, but it seems like the locks cost about as much to open as the amount of coins you get out of them. So, basically, sloot seems to break even, at best. I have tried saving money on picking by using "disarm" and "unlock" spells but haven't had that much luck with those. Going to east tower to get them picked one by one is more hassle than it's worth. So... is this a normal warrior situation? Anything I should be doing different?

bash the box over your head

I don't think this is a "warrior" issue. I think it's an anyone who isn't a rogue issue. You could even take it a step further and it's an issue for any class who doesn't like the RT from using a PC rogue vs. the town locksmith. If you're looking at straight silvers spent vs. silvers received from the box, it's generally a loss. On average though, the gems and other items you receive from boxes should make it a net gain over time. It's usually not going to feel like that though unless you track everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    ...I have tried saving money on picking by using "disarm" and "unlock" spells but haven't had that much luck with those. Going to east tower to get them picked one by one is more hassle than it's worth. So... is this a normal warrior situation? Anything I should be doing different?
    Using those spells depends on your overall ranks in minor elementals. What you can do is (either more ranks in that), disarm training and at least 1x perception, 2x is better (for various other reasons).

There will still be some boxes you cannot open yourself but with bash, and learning which traps are safe to set off (in town or out) you can, if you want to spend the time, open more of them yourself.

Or learn Pick locks.
    Last edited by Roblar; 12-18-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Doesn't bashing destroy most of the contents? Or I'm not remembering it right...

Once mastered I have never had a problem with broken items from bashing, and I bash a lot. I got the t? Vambrace that lets me know if there is a trap or not on a box (30k BS at duskruin) so I never miss a trap and if it’s dangerous I detect, if I can’t see it or it’s deadly to bash it goes to the locksmith for break even profits I started learning disarm so I could at least SEE the traps, and with 50 ranks I almost always see the capped box traps on first try, but I also have maxed perception.

Traps safe to bash: plate, jaws, needle, gascloud (I always bash this outside of town and it immediately disperses)

Traps dangerous to bash: poison/disease scarabs (need empath or cure), springs trap (wear a greathelm! If it does hit you you will “remove your helmet” and burn your hands (you don’t actually remove it)) spore trap (need empath to keep you healed, purify air probably helps), fire trap (this one is sketchy as fuck because as you burn you can’t do most things besides “roll” to try to put out the fire, friends can help roll you to try to put out the fire)

Deadly (maybe) to bash: red/onyx/opalescent scarabs, sulphur trap, rods trap, scales trap

Hope that helps, I know I missed a few
    "Hi, my name is Ososis and I'm blaming my shitty life for being such a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser. My triggers are: Red reputation, ANY mention of MacGuyver and being called a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    Doesn't bashing destroy most of the contents? Or I'm not remembering it right...
    Only if you aren't that skilled with bashing. By the time you master it, you aren't destroying the contents.