Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New-style fusion general speculation

Default New-style fusion general speculation

So, I never really did the fusion thing so I'm mostly unaffected by this, but a recent critter find has me interested.

What kind of prices would you be willing to pay for new-style fusion orbs? Especially high-end ones, considering that they're both a bigger change from best to worst condition and have a higher low-end. Best case would be if orb refurbishment is offered in the same way as enchant unlocking (something that most GALD merchants will do if asked). If it's less frequent, what people are willing to pay for a high-end orb will obviously suffer. But then, a high-end newstyle orb, fully degraded, will still be equivalent to a middle-end orb (a +14 skill orb will degrade to +7 over the course of a year).

Not having been in the fusion market, I can't contribute much. But let's take a +10 weapon skill orb as a test case. AT WORST it is exactly as good as a +5 old style orb, and I imagine that people would generally be willing to pay at least as much for a +10 new style as a +5 old style. However, the +10 new style is objectively worse than a +10 old style, so we definitely won't pay more for a new style than we'd pay for an equivalent old style. Degradation is relatively slow, which is a plus. However, it's another thing to keep track of, which is a huge minus. We don't know how easy it'll be to refurbish - if it's restricted AT ALL (IE, only done at certain times of year/events or has a limitation on number of times it's done - really anything short of all GALD merchants being able to at will) that's a huge minus and, to me, would make a +10 newstyle orb only slightly preferable to a +10 oldstyle. If GALDs can do it, I rarely go a month without getting a GALD so it'd be something I'd pay for, but still well under the equivalent old style.

Another question is whether there will be any way to upgrade newstyle (T2) to oldstyle (T3) orbs. It'll definitely be a rare thing, but it might impact what people are willing to pay for newstyle orbs.

I can't say I'm happy with the new system, but I'd rather have it than useless items with really good enhancives going to waste. It all comes down to the availability of refurbishment IMO.

PS is this the right place for this discussion?

It will be larely useless. You can already get sweet enhancives that dont have all the crap associated with them. For instance, I have a spear with +13 polearm bonus and +8 CM bonus and 7 lore bonus. I have a two handed sword with +8 2hw bonus, and +4 str bonus. You get the idea. I can just use those and I am good to go, as compared to newstyle fusion. Or I saw some +4 str bonus jewelry in someone's shop for 20m-ish. Keep in mind none of these options use a script slot like fusion does.

Old style fusion could complete with the above soley because it was fun to be able to customize, and convenient. New style fusion wont be fun, nor convenient, so it wont be able to complete with the above.

In summary, it will be kind of like the overly gimped "fusion" garli jewelry from briarcove, possibly weaker, and we all know what happened with that system.
    Last edited by gilchristr; 12-15-2017 at 08:13 AM.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

My speculation is that it will be a complete disaster and Simu will insist that we're enjoying it and that we should be grateful.
    Last edited by Methais; 12-15-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

Because they never stop degrading the value is severely diminished. Even as a niche use like meeting qualifications for a spell or a boost to skinning, your orbs will rot in the socket (or the locker.)
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Fusion orb recharging will be unreasonably rare. Fresh +X new style orbs will be worth about as much as +0.6x old style orbs. Maybe more like +0.55x.

When did we start calling new style T2 and old style T3? WTF is T1 fusion at this point?
    Last edited by Goat; 12-16-2017 at 02:47 AM.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Glaves: "Dergoatean is swedish for Stillfront"

Will it help to pull our old orbs out of our fusion gear, or is it too late/doesn't matter?

Too late to do that
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    To my understanding a T1 is a T2 orb that has eroded 50%.
    I thought a t1 was a damaged t2 (from bad luck prying) that could degrade to 0?
    "Hi, my name is Ososis and I'm blaming my shitty life for being such a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser. My triggers are: Red reputation, ANY mention of MacGuyver and being called a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ososis View Post
    I thought a t1 was a damaged t2 (from bad luck prying) that could degrade to 0?
    Looks like I was mistaken. This is from GM Coase:

Quote Originally Posted by GM Coase
    T3 ("old-style" fusion orbs)

T3 orbs do not decay their enhancive bonus. T3 orbs, when damaged due to PRYing, will gain the functionality of T2 orbs. The net result is that the old shattering chance (complete destruction of orbs) and degradation of bonus has been removed. Instead pried-out orbs can be damaged. Damage chance of 5% when pried. Special merchant services will exist to allow for risk-free pries in exchange for a fee.

T2 ("new-style" fusion)

T2 orbs will degrade their enhancive bonus at a rate of 4% a month (real time) to a maximum degradation of 50%. For example, +10 would lose 0.4 bonus points per month (becoming effective only when a full -1 value is reached, so only after 3 months in the case of the +10 item would any degradation of the bonus actually occur). It would take 13 months to reach max degradation in most cases. Values of 1 would round down to 0.

T2 fusion orbs can be refurbished to full base bonus as a future merchant option.

Prying T2 orbs will have a chance to damage the orb, similar to T3. When damaged, a T2 orb will gain the functionality of a T1 orb (which uncaps the maximum degradation of the enhancive bonus all the way to zero). Further damage would increase degradation rate by 1% per month per damage cycle.
    Last edited by Fallen; 12-19-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Yep, Coase was pretty quick answering my questions on refurbish rarity, at least. New style orbs will be around half the perceived value of equivalent old style, if not less (only so many sockets to fill, why buy a new style when better old style orbs are still out there). Might make a decent bargain for people looking for stopgaps while they wait for better orbs to come up for sale, I guess.

I never got into fusion, so the only way this affects me is that it means the +14 SA runestaff I found recently is still pretty worthless. Not that I'm a fan of the change.
    Last edited by dott; 12-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.