Thread: Air wizard + water?

Default Air wizard + water?

I've never been good with skills, and I think it's time I become true to my name (sorry, it's from the late 90's). I'm pretty sure I want to attune to air. Most people associate monsoon with rain, but rain is more of a side effect. Monsoon is really a seasonal reversing wind (whatever that means), and air criticals seem quite nice mechanically, though my water lore has made my Minor Water dish some high damage. Anyway, I'd like to focus purely on air and water (but attune to air). Does that seem like a good plan, or should I stick to one?

Half-elf, if that matters.

LORE
    21 Air, 71 Water

I need help with my lore training. I'm close to level 80. I can't remember why, but over the years I stopped at 21 Air Lore. Maybe for 511? I've been getting low on TPs, and I'm unsure what to do with my lore training (hence this thread). I've temporarily stopped at 71 Water Lore in case I need to adjust the mix.

SPELLS
    Currently at 81 Major, 41 Minor, and 81 Wizard.

I do dabble in enchanting (nothing super hard), but hunting (and not dying) is more important. I figure I can work on wizard ranks post-cap.

Thanks for the help!

I could also use advice on stats. My starting stats weren't great, and someday I may want to fix them. Which stat(s) should I tank? After messing with the stat planner worksheet, I think my plan so far is to tank AGL (starting at 70) and INF (starting at 40).

This is what I plan on fixstating to (also a half-elf):
    STR 86
    CON 82
    DEX 59
    AGL 78
    DIS 77
    AUR 49
    LOG 62
    INT 62
    WIS 70
    INF 35

This will give you all 100s, except WIS 98 and INF 82 at 100th level.

As far as lores go, I'm not sure it matters if you're not primarily a bolter except getting 20 ranks of fire lore is good for getting Minor Steam.

My wizard is also around level 80. I'd strongly second Tenser on his stat plan and picking up 20 ranks of fire lore for Steam (evoked 903). A great secondary bonus is the AS boost(s) from 513. There is nothing wrong with picking water/air lore. Most wizards tend to lean towards fire due to the mechanical benefits. Since you have tons of water lore you will be able to infuse enchanting potions much faster. You should also be able to complete 7x projects with ease due to being 1x in wizard spells. Also not sure if you have read about the changes to Earthen Fury (Boil earth/917) but water lore adds a chance for a bonus cycle and you can cast the cold version vs fire/earth. Which would be great for hunting in the Bowels. Which area are you currently hunting in? Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

The original reason for 21 ranks in Air Lore had to do with the old 506 (haste). You needed 20 ranks for Tonis Bolt and the 1 extra rank would allow the previous 506 to be another second reduction to RT.

Now you either stop at 20 for Tonis Bolt or 25 for the e-blade 1x weapons benefit. More Air Lore will primarily help warmages with 506 RT reduction with the new Celerity. It has a plethora of other benefits, but most of them are less noticeable to your average "pure".

Pures do tend to get the most out of Fire lore for the 513 benefits, and other various fire perks that add to your offensive prowess. With your 1x ranks in Wizard spells, you'll see an added benefit from Fire when using 917 (Earthen Fury) - which will work very well with your setup against like-level foes that are "squishy".
    Last edited by Maerit; 10-19-2017 at 12:54 PM.

I'm 95 right now with 95 MjE/62 MnE/95 Wiz spell ranks. I have 5 water lore and 55 air lore and I use 917 almost all the time while hunting in OTF. Once in awhile I fire off a cone of elements (air version) after knocking everything down with a 909 tap. I keep wanting to train those 20 ranks in fire, but I'm too addicted to spell ranks.

I mainly trained the air lore for the old haste benefits as I did most of those ranks back during the GS3 to GS4 migration. However, I really enjoy the RT reductions the 55 air lore gives me when I'm put in RT by a combat manuever so I decided to keep the air lore ranks. Maybe when I use my fixstat I'll change things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    I've never been good with skills, and I think it's time I become true to my name (sorry, it's from the late 90's). I'm pretty sure I want to attune to air. Most people associate monsoon with rain, but rain is more of a side effect. Monsoon is really a seasonal reversing wind (whatever that means), and air criticals seem quite nice mechanically, though my water lore has made my Minor Water dish some high damage. Anyway, I'd like to focus purely on air and water (but attune to air). Does that seem like a good plan, or should I stick to one?

Half-elf, if that matters.

LORE
    21 Air, 71 Water

I need help with my lore training. I'm close to level 80. I can't remember why, but over the years I stopped at 21 Air Lore. Maybe for 511? I've been getting low on TPs, and I'm unsure what to do with my lore training (hence this thread). I've temporarily stopped at 71 Water Lore in case I need to adjust the mix.

SPELLS
    Currently at 81 Major, 41 Minor, and 81 Wizard.

I do dabble in enchanting (nothing super hard), but hunting (and not dying) is more important. I figure I can work on wizard ranks post-cap.

Thanks for the help!
    Just keep in mind that your attunement will be completely separate from your lore training. Attune is mostly for eblades and which element spells like 502 will default to.

And don't forget to pay tribute to the true Monsoon...
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Air lore is great for the extra disk space, too bad it is seed 10.

Another stat placement option, which I used on my dark elf mage:

Strength (STR): 69
    Constitution (CON): 70
    Dexterity (DEX): 49
    Agility (AGI): 73
    Discipline (DIS): 78
    Aura (AUR): 51
    Logic (LOG): 62
    Intuition (INT): 62
    Wisdom (WIS): 73
    Influence (INF): 73

This gives all 100s except 84 str and 88 con, I did it for the mtps and have never regretted it. You may need to tweak it a bit for halfelf.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by Askip; 10-20-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    "You're well beyond training for a reason."...Gelston