Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something Amazing Just Happened

Default Something Amazing Just Happened

Wait for it.

So I'm at the local farmers market here in Chattanooga where I moved a little over 2 years ago. I haven't been much all summer because it is more market than farmers and I don't need to buy the same touristy craft stuff every week in a row, it stays packed, parking is hard, etc. There are very few farmer vendors with anything of value.

But I have family visiting from out of town so we go so they can see it. It is a huge market, the largest in the state or the southeast or something like that I think.

My daughter is getting face painted and the line takes forever I wander over to a nearby booth selling artisanal soaps. I like soaps, I'm interested in soap making and would like to try making my own. I also have a rustic home and I like using these fancy rustic soaps in the guest bathrooms. So we're talking and I instantly like this guy, I do, maybe a lot because he reminds me of Patrick Rothfuss, like a lot, he is balder but has less grey in the beard, so I'm not sure who is older. It could easily be Patrick's brother though. So I ask him after paying if he knows who Patrick Rothfuss, and he says he does because he worked with him a little bit when he worked for a game company. I also know Patrick and he is very into board games, always goes to Gencon, and he has launched a few games on Kickstarter so this makes sense. I tell him he looks like Patrick and we get into a pretty heavy fantasy author nerd conversation. Books he likes, books I like, recommendations, and the like.

We talk for a good long while, about Scott Lynch, and Joe Abercrombie, Peter V Brett, Brandon Sanderson, David Duncan, some guy I don't remember that he really likes, George R.R. Martin.

So I ask him, how he went from game design to soaps. He says he wasn't getting along with his boss, his boss thought he could do his job better than him, kept changing his mind on things, was just hard to work for, etc. So he came back to Chattanooga where he is from. So I asked him what company it was. He says Simutronics.

Boom, my face just exploded and I was speechless for a few seconds. Buying soap in Chattanooga, and through a normal conversation I find out I'm talking to Solomon (for that is who it was). This game community is fucking tiny, what are the odds?

So as you can imagine then we really had something to talk about.

Haha that's fucked. He must be looking ultra scraggly these days if you didn't recognize him (I'm just assuming you knew what he looked like).

He unfriended me on fb after Trump won so I can only speculate. Always got along until then but whatever. Crazy shit either way running into him like that.
    Last edited by Methais; 10-15-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

That is a fairly unbelievable thing to have happen. Dang.

I always assume eventually I'm going to run in to someone from GS (player or GM) like this, but it hasn't happened yet. Good story.
    Last edited by Viekn; 10-15-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Thats pretty crazy. Small world.
    If you shoot for the stars you will burn up in the atmosphere

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    I always assume eventually I'm going to run in to someone from GS (player or GM) like this, but it hasn't happened yet. Good story.
    You probably have but just don't know it because how the fuck do you bring up a 30 year old text based RPG in regular conversation with a stranger?

Blog Entries

I remember that he was doing woodcarving or something after he left Simu.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    I remember that he was doing woodcarving or something after he left Simu.
    Did he move into a van down by the river?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Did he move into a van down by the river?
    I suppose going from woodcarving to soapmaking isn't much of a jump.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

That is an awesome story. How did he feel when you told him Gemstone IV is pretty much online slots nowadays?