Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Puerto Ricans American Citizens?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Are Puerto Ricans American Citizens?

Hillary Clinton says Puerto Ricans are American Citizens.

Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton called out the Trump administration Sunday for its response to the devastation in Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria.

"President Trump, Sec. Mattis, and DOD should send the Navy, including the USNS Comfort, to Puerto Rico now. These are American citizens," Clinton said in a Sunday morning tweet, referring to the Department of Defense, Secretary James Mattis and a US Navy ship that serves as a medical facility.

More...

Really? Puerto Rico is not a state. Unlike the states affected by hurricanes -- Texas and Florida -- Puerto Rico did not vote for Trump. They couldn't vote in the general election, but Puerto Rico didn't vote for him in the primaries either. As explained below, it's not as simple as Clinton makes it sound.

On March 2, 1917, the Jones–Shafroth Act was signed, collectively making Puerto Ricans United States citizens without rescinding their Puerto Rican citizenship. In 1922, the U.S. Supreme court in the case of Balzac v. Porto Rico ruled that the full protection and rights of the U.S constitution do not apply to residents of Puerto Rico until they come to reside in the United States proper. Luis Muñoz Rivera, who participated in the creation of the Jones-Shafroth Act, gave a speech in the U.S. House floor that argued in favor of Puerto Rican citizenship. He declared that "if the earth were to swallow the island, Puerto Ricans would prefer American citizenship to any citizenship in the world. But as long as the island existed, the residents preferred Puerto Rican citizenship."[20] The Jones Act allowed locals to renounce the United States citizenship and remain exclusively Puerto Rican citizens, at the cost of being stripped of the right to vote.[21] Despite these arbitrary limitations, 287 residents completed the process to forfeit the statutory recognition.[21]

In 1952, upon U.S. Congress approving the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, also reaffirmed that Puerto Rican citizenship continued in full force. This was further reaffirmed in 2006 while the U.S. Senate probed into the President's Task Force on Puerto Rico's status.[22] In 1953, U.S Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge Jr., in a memorandum sent to the United Nations, recognized that "the people of Puerto Rico continue to be citizens of the United States as well as of Puerto Rico."[5]

More...
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

The first things that crossed Trump's mind about Puerto Rico were food, water and medical.

The Trump administration sent a massive Navy ship to aid the growing humanitarian crisis in Puerto Rico — two days after Hillary Clinton pleaded with him to dispatch the vessel.

More...
    Trump is sending the Comfort to Puerto Rico. Is it in response to Clinton's request?

But he's not suspending the Jones Act, whatever that is..

During times of emergency, the Department of Homeland Security can suspend Jones Act requirements. DHS did that very thing after Harvey hit Texas and Irma hit Florida. Unsurprisingly, many members of Congress have requested the same for Puerto Rico in the wake of Maria.

Reuters reports that DHS isn’t having it:

The Trump administration on Tuesday denied a request to waive shipping restrictions to help get fuel and supplies to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico, saying it would do nothing to address the island’s main impediment to shipping, damaged ports. …

More...

Hillary saved Puerto Rico! Impeach Trump and put Hillary in office!

Hill-ar-y! Hill-ar-y! Hill-ar15-y!
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Hillary saved Puerto Rico! Impeach Trump and put Hillary in office!

Hill-ar-y! Hill-ar-y! Hill-ar15-y!

/serious face
    Quote Originally Posted by Anticor
    If you and Jar Jar Binks had a child it would rule the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell
    Wikka wikka my nikka yo yo yo yo: CHECK IT. Tha thang in the thang and bedump bedump da BEBANG knowwhatIsayin?!

Trump reversed course on the Jones Act, sort of. He's waiving it for 10 days. Can you ship from the mainland to Puerto Rico in 10 days?

The White House announced early Thursday that President Trump has agreed to waive the Jones Act, which will temporarily lift shipping restrictions on Puerto Rico and enable the hurricane-ravaged island to receive necessary aid.

The waiver from the shipping law, which requires American-made and operated vessels to transport cargo between U.S. ports, will only last for 10 days and goes into effect immediately.

“At @ricardorossello request, @POTUS has authorized the Jones Act be waived for Puerto Rico. It will go into effect immediately,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote on Twitter, referring to Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló.

Lawmakers in Congress since Monday have been pushing for a one-year waiver from the rules in an order to help speed up deliveries of food, fuel and other critical supplies to Puerto Rico, which has been battered by two hurricanes in the last month. Officials estimate that the island could be without power for six months.

The administration faced fierce backlash for not immediately lifting the law for Puerto Rico, after it issued a two-week waiver for Texas and Florida after hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

More...

What is the Jones Act? Here's the answer.. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ct-puerto-rico
    In summary, it requires shipping from one part of the US to another to be on ships constructed in the US. Its purpose when it was enacted in 1920 was to promote US shipbuilding. But it has not worked out that way. Most ships today are constructed overseas. Even with the protectionism afforded by the Jones Act, the shipbuilding industry in the US is barely surviving, and there just aren't many ships that qualify. That shifts shipping to land methods and away from shipping by sea, unless you're on an island in the middle of the ocean, as everybody know Puerto Rico is. Puerto Ricans believe the Jones Act severely hurt their economy even before the hurricane.

This is the real Jones act:

Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

A child just died in Lithuania.

FUCK AMERICA! Heartless bastards......

Puerto Ricans can't vote. They're not going to be treated like Americans who can.

In the most imaginative way possible, Trump put to rest allegation that he should not spend his time at golf courses while Puerto Rico is recovering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOX7yv7V0zY