Page 91 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL players kneeling during National Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    They'll go the route of Marvel. When they alienate all their loyal customers by virtue signaling until they are blue in the face. Someone in the company will realize they aren't getting paid what they used to be and they'll drop the whole fucking thing because nobody wants politics in their fucking gear. Nobody wants it. Nobody cares for it. This has been proven to be the path to fewer profits and customers.

Companies need to stop attempting to politicize their products and just sell a goddamn product. Stupid. Whoever thought this up needs to be removed from any critical marketing decisions.

I know what certain people are going to say and no, this is not a racial issue. This is fact. Look at companies that muddle with social justice "issues" (for lack of a better word) and you'll see a very clear pattern.
    That's really funny. Marvel has *always* been political. The X-Men were originally an allegory on the Jewish experience, and in the 90s their entire mutant mythology was overtly transformed into an allegory on the LGBTQ experience.

They never hid that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    That's really funny. Marvel has *always* been political. The X-Men were originally an allegory on the Jewish experience, and in the 90s their entire mutant mythology was overtly transformed into an allegory on the LGBTQ experience.

They never hid that fact.
    Yes. It has been political but when they went further down the rabbit hole of social justice issues, it nearly fucking killed the comic book side of them. They actively made a statement toward that effect. There's also a different between drawing from those sources and creating a character that is inspiring and thought provoking and just shoveling shit into a consumers mouth.

This is a cash grab. I, personally, don't believe that overpaid athletes kneeling in protest is at all inspiring but I also hold that it's their right. Just as it's my right to completely disregard sports with impunity.
    Last edited by Astray; 09-05-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Ah! You referenced Russia, take a shot.

Last edited by Astray; 09-05-2018 at 01:02 PM.

[Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

and in the 90s their entire mutant mythology was overtly transformed into an allegory on the LGBTQ experience.
    Talk about historical revisionism. In the 90's mutants were never an "allegory on the LGBTQ experience", it had nothing to do with the LGBTQ experience at all other than some mutants happened to be gay. People of today saw some similarities between mutants and "the LGBTQ experience" and decided that must have been the creators' intent. It wasn't.

Furthermore there is nothing wrong with tackling social issues if it's done the right way. But to recreate old established character favorites and make them a minority or gay for no other reason than to make them a minority or gay apparently isn't the right way because a lot of people hated that and one Marvel higher up even admitted this was why their comic book sales were taking a hit before he was forced to retract that comment by the angry mob who probably never even bought a comic book in their life.

For example look at the way Buffy The Vampire Slayer handled "the gay experience." Willow came out to her friends that she was gay, they all kind of had an uncomfortable moment or two, then everyone went on with their lives and acted like normal when she had a girlfriend because it was normal. But now everything has to be in your face, have drag queens show up and read a book about being a drag queen to a bunch of 6 year olds and when they say they want to be a super hero when they grow up correct them and say "You could be a drag queen super hero!" Have a black super hero living in one of the most diverse cities in the entire world and of course he has to deal with the only known group of Neo Nazis in a 100 square mile radius because that's totally a thing.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Talk about historical revisionism. In the 90's mutants were never an "allegory on the LGBTQ experience", it had nothing to do with the LGBTQ experience at all other than some mutants happened to be gay. People of today saw some similarities between mutants and "the LGBTQ experience" and decided that must have been the creators' intent. It wasn't.

Furthermore there is nothing wrong with tackling social issues if it's done the right way. But to recreate old established character favorites and make them a minority or gay for no other reason than to make them a minority or gay apparently isn't the right way because a lot of people hated that and one Marvel higher up even admitted this was why their comic book sales were taking a hit before he was forced to retract that comment by the angry mob who probably never even bought a comic book in their life.

For example look at the way Buffy The Vampire Slayer handled "the gay experience." Willow came out to her friends that she was gay, they all kind of had an uncomfortable moment or two, then everyone went on with their lives and acted like normal when she had a girlfriend because it was normal. But now everything has to be in your face, have drag queens show up and read a book about being a drag queen to a bunch of 6 year olds and when they say they want to be a super hero when they grow up correct them and say "You could be a drag queen super hero!" Have a black super hero living in one of the most diverse cities in the entire world and of course he has to deal with the only known group of Neo Nazis in a 100 square mile radius because that's totally a thing.
    Civil rights plays a tremendous role in X-men, going back to its founding.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Civil rights plays a tremendous role in X-men, going back to its founding.
    Tackling anti-semitism yes, I can't say for sure about civil rights, but the LGBTQ is historical revisionism.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 09-05-2018 at 03:23 PM.