Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trump Ends DACA

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    If dreamers are not responsible for the actions of their parents, then why are white people today responsible for what some white slave owners did 150 years ago and are asked to pay reparations?
    Don't try to use logic with liberals. Doesn't work.

Just use feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    If dreamers are not responsible for the actions of their parents, then why are white people today responsible for what some white slave owners did 150 years ago and are asked to pay reparations?
    One, the purpose of reparations is to help address the lingering consequences of slavery, which exist to this day in the form of various inequalities. Not to arbitrarily punish the descendants of those slaveowners. Most people didn't own slaves.

Two, I'm pretty sure you've never paid a penny in your life towards reparations, either in the form of any kind of tax or willful donating to such a cause.

Incidentally, I don't support the notion of "reparations" as argued by many, in the forms of cash payments to individuals, but efforts to help the underprivileged as a whole -- which are disproportionately black -- I absolutely support, regardless of race. Society itself unquestionably benefited from the exploitation of slaves, and those eventually-freed-but-disadvantaged slaves, and their disadvantaged descendants, deserve that inequality to be addressed, as it persists today, as you say, 150 years later. It's not "white people whose ancestors owned slaves" that are responsible; it's American society that's responsible.
    Last edited by Ashliana; 09-08-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    One, the purpose of reparations is to help address the lingering consequences of slavery, which exist to this day in the form of various inequalities. Not to arbitrarily punish the descendants of those slaveowners. Most people didn't own slaves.

Two, I'm pretty sure you've never paid a penny in your life towards reparations, either in the form of any kind of tax or willful donating to such a cause.

Incidentally, I don't support the notion of "reparations" as argued by many, in the forms of cash payments to individuals, but efforts to help the underprivileged as a whole -- which are disproportionately black -- I absolutely support, regardless of race. Society itself unquestionably benefited from the exploitation of slaves, and those eventually-freed-but-disadvantaged slaves, and their disadvantaged descendants, deserve that inequality to be addressed, as it persists today, as you say, 150 years later. It's not "white people whose ancestors owned slaves" that are responsible; it's American society that's responsible.
    This is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
    This is retarded.
    Which part? In what way? Oh. What's that? Can't scrounge up an independent thought?

Yeah. Didn't think so.
    Last edited by Ashliana; 09-08-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Blog Entries

I have an ancestor that was killed because she was a "witch", I also have ancestors that were murdered because they were Mormon. Give me free stuff now!

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

I'm sure you haven't donated a penny either.. but then again, this is the Internet.. I'm sure you can come up with a nice fictional story so you don't look like the flaming hypocrite you are.

So.. who should pay these "reparations"? Just families that were in the US prior to 1865? Just white families? Do we look at their skin color to determine how much they owe.. or should we do some ancestor search on everyone to make sure they aren't like 1/32nd black?

If I can prove my family came to the US in 1870, am I exempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    I'm sure you haven't donated a penny either.. but then again, this is the Internet.. I'm sure you can come up with a nice fictional story so you don't look like the flaming hypocrite you are.
    I never claimed or implied to have donated. In fact, I explicitly said "I don't support reparations as argued by many," specifically the notion of cash payments. That is, however, what most people generally think of. But okay, PB. You're desperately clinging to a fictional straw man you set up. Have fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit
    So.. who should pay these "reparations"? Just families that were in the US prior to 1865? Just white families? Do we look at their skin color to determine how much they owe.. or should we do some ancestor search on everyone to make sure they aren't like 1/32nd black?

If I can prove my family came to the US in 1870, am I exempt?
    I already said: Society. Not individuals, not the descendants of those slave-owners. Regardless of whose family most directly benefited, much of the entire southern economy, in way or another, rested upon slavery, and the impact to the slave population, both in terms of the slaves themselves, but more importantly in 2017, their descendants, it's society that owes them a debt.

And I already said, my way of addressing existing inequality would be a larger effort to help the underprivileged as a whole regardless of race. But thanks for proving, as always, that your reading comprehension and general intellect are as ridiculously poor as I've always asserted.
    Last edited by Ashliana; 09-08-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Blog Entries

I never claimed or implied to have donated. In fact, I explicitly said "I don't support reparations as argued by many," specifically the notion of cash payments. That is, however, what most people generally think of. But okay, PB. You're desperately clinging to a fictional straw man you set up. Have fun with that.

I already said: Society. Not individuals, not the descendants of those slave-owners. Regardless of whose family most directly benefited, much of the entire southern economy, in way or another, rested upon slavery, and the impact to the slave population, both in terms of the slaves themselves, but more importantly in 2017, their descendants,, it's society that owes them a debt.

And I already said, my way of addressing existing inequality would be a larger effort to help the underprivileged as a whole regardless of race. But thanks for proving, as always, that your reading comprehension and general intellect are as ridiculously poor as I've always asserted.
    Then by all means go help, nothing is stopping you. Rush on over to the south side of Chicago and tell them you're here to help. Be the change!

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Which part? In what way? Oh. What's that? Can't scrounge up an independent thought?

Yeah. Didn't think so.
    lol @ your rep

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    Please tell us more about something you know nothing about.
    Please enlighten me, which part is it that I'm wrong about? The length, complexity, and inaccessibility of the immigration process to most poor Mexicans? That going through the process for legal citizenship is admitting to the government that your family came here illegally and can involve handing their address to DHS, which is a common dilemma for people applying?

Or did you just want to go "nuh uhh you're wrong!!" because you feel that I am?
    Last edited by Tenlaar; 09-08-2017 at 05:13 PM.