Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Considering returning. Been a long time.

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LivderaDeralleur View Post
    I am pretty sure you can also self-cast Phase on yourself for a boost to CM defense now - that was recently released.

There is also a new 716 spell that, when self-cast on yourself, basically acts like poison/disease flares. So even if a critter completely misses you, they can flare and kill or incapacitate. Too early to remember the actual name of the spell though.
    That's pretty cool, old phase was useless. 716 used to just be disease, right? I'm a little rusty.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LivderaDeralleur View Post
    Also 709 is now Grasp of the Grave - bunch of arms come out of the ground to pull down things in waves.
    Is that an open spell, meaning players that enter the room are possibly targeted? Or just mobs? How long do the waves last, like a maelstrom minute?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roiken View Post
    There is also no reason to carry your entire inventory on your person, Join a house, create a f2p mule, Many ways to avoid getting bogged down so that the insta CM deaths don't happen as often. Puncture protection from a warrior is easy and cheap to add to your armor pending you find the right and willing warrior. If your character is that much older GS3 days you may not be fully 1x'd in perception and physical fitness, that will help a whole lot in surviving most CM attacks.. You don't have to get involved in any micro transactions to enjoy the game.
    This is also interesting to me. Always had a near full locker in a house but always played Standard with a 2nd character (or a few more) that was/were unhoused. I think I went to 1x on perc and fitness through 30 then went .5x after, those weigh into the failure rate (then??) now?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jhynnifer View Post
    You're going to find a lot of mechanical, as well as rp, changes in the game since you left. 99% of them are pretty awesome improvements. I'd suggest reading up on SMR on the wiki, they've made some great changes to allow pures better chances of evading cmans that take spell training into account. You'll also find that sorcerers are more fun to play than 10 years ago, especially with the changes to your spell circle and the implementation of ensorcell.

It's a good time to get back into playing if you enjoyed the game, regardless of the current state of simucoins. You are able to play the game without spending them, they just offer the chances to enhance your character mechanically and rp-wise that don't necessarily happen in other ways.

Definitely try coming back and see for yourself!
    Very informative. And additive to my previous response to the poster recommending perception and fitness. I always played with knife and shield as a sorcerer, flashback to books I read as a kid, and kept shield use at 1x and its cool that it is weighed in to SMR in some points. When I left I did not really understand cloak of shadows (it was relatively new) and didn't cast it a lot, nice to see that on the list as well.

5. Default

On the business side-front, I'm actually shocked that things like monks and paladins ever came about, or sorcerers teleportation (old to a lot of you, I'm sure). These are things that I had just plain given up on. I remember moving to GS4 over a summer with all those hopes and promises of being able to create a sorcerer and summon a demon though its function was never defined. I think that was around 1994 and I was 12 years old. Certain things never happened and I'd decided they wouldn't but it didn't detract me or deter me from playing, they just were the lay of the land.

This company lost me (and others) when they charged more than WoW for a standard account on a text based game that didn't deliver those continued promises for too long of a period of time. Emphasis on 'too long of a period'. I'm constantly nostalgic for the interactions and the people I knew in Gemstone and it was always a price-base v Value decision. Now as a software technical manager for a large company my decisions are different and what I do in my free time is not a value choice. But if they had a serious flaw in their plan, that's what I identify; that and not accepting my many applications to help program this shiz.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraydak21 View Post
    Very informative. And additive to my previous response to the poster recommending perception and fitness. I always played with knife and shield as a sorcerer, flashback to books I read as a kid, and kept shield use at 1x and its cool that it is weighed in to SMR in some points. When I left I did not really understand cloak of shadows (it was relatively new) and didn't cast it a lot, nice to see that on the list as well.
    You can definitely still play as a knife and board sorc, but I would challenge you to try swapping to a runestaff and see just how much farther you can push yourself... because runestaves are where it's definitely at. =)
    You slap Walkar's cheek, hard.
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

I have been enjoying my UAC sorcerer. I haven't had much issue with UAC, nothing dragonsclaw scrolls or merchant potions can't solve that I've used.

It pairs well with open handed casting for 702 as well and other things

If you want to keep your shield as a sorc you could run brawl/shield and benefit from strong DS without risk of being disarmed. Runestaff is awesome for flares etc (in addition to being free DS) but there's something appealing about never risking item loss.

With the changes to spells that improve their power open-handed, using the "sword & board" style actually reduces many spells in power. Brawling & Shield at least allows you to keep your right hand open to have the same casting power as you'd have with a runestaff.

Quote Originally Posted by audioserf View Post
    If you want to keep your shield as a sorc you could run brawl/shield and benefit from strong DS without risk of being disarmed. Runestaff is awesome for flares etc (in addition to being free DS) but there's something appealing about never risking item loss.
    I never worried about item loss with runestaves, either. 0x staves are pretty cheap off the shelf. Add an eblade and off ya go!
    Question for the pro-transgender, gender fluid, anyone can be whatever they want to be, people out there: Should a male be granted a combat license to enter a MMA fight to pummel females because he 'identifies' as a woman?