Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flurry of blows

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by khorpulent View Post
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm doing here with greater fire vs trolls. I'm sure it'll become progressively less effective as I progress in levels and the grim get hardier. It's still nice cause I get to tier up against everything and fling a bunch of fire around in the process.

My AGI/DEX is so low because my monk's stats are set to max at cap and he's only 34. He's a halfling, at least, so he's still pretty quick. I could use Burst and shave off another second if I ever thought of it.
    You'll run into some stuff as you get higher that takes forever to kill by blood. It really gets noticeable around level 40 compared to your first easy 30 or so, but things kind of top out around 400hp I've found. And even then, not all of them hit that. I use pretty basic 5x fire flaring stuff and occasionally I'll just kill stuff by blood simply by mstriking. You get enough blows in there, build around your flares, maybe add some damage weighting into the mix, and that's gonna be a viable long term strategy against a good number of critters.

Add in that a lot of the time as you go mstriking and tiering up, you're gonna get a lot of random crit kills simply from hitting the right spot at excellent (anything but jab, but punch/kick with the best chances), you'll have really no trouble killing stuff by attrition later on. If nothing else, it'll save you points from not bothering with 24-30 ranks of ambush. I only use ambush to secure kills about half the time as it is because the first mstrike kills so often.

Yeah, I'm thinking about throwing some damage weighting on my gloves, but it's like 15k scrip for 20 services on them.

Seems like what is making Flurry effective here is that it's activating on the free jab you get from the mstrike plus all of the jabs I get from the mstrike jab. Gonna bump it up to rank 3 next level and see what that looks like in a room full of grim.
    Last edited by khorpulent; 08-30-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Shoulda just thrown 10 services on and see how the silver costs play out in future events. I found 10 services to be a bargain compared to 20.

Yep, that's actually what I ended up doing.

Flurry is absolutely fantastic at lower-levels, especially if you double up on MOC. I have a mid-teens halfling monk who absolutely wrecks camps with his Flurried mstrike punches.

Its usefulness tapers off pretty quickly after about 20, as critters start to get sturdier.

halfling monks sound like the flavor of the month, that the widely accepted monk master race?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigo View Post
    halfling monks sound like the flavor of the month, that the widely accepted monk master race?
    I think halflings in general are the best race, no matter the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Dintarl View Post
    Flurry is absolutely fantastic at lower-levels, especially if you double up on MOC. I have a mid-teens halfling monk who absolutely wrecks camps with his Flurried mstrike punches.

Its usefulness tapers off pretty quickly after about 20, as critters start to get sturdier.
    Yeah, my monk is at 36 now, and I'm still enjoying flurry, but I do suspect that some point Krynch or another martial stance will be more useful. I think the greater fire flares on my gloves will extend the usefulness for quite a while, as I'll be hunting troll camps/Icemule for quite a while longer. But yeah, when my monk was in his teens, I could just sit there and do nothing but jab with flurry up, and I'd clear a warcamp in no time. Now I actually have to punch and stuff.

I'm also curious about how flurry affects tiering up when mstriking. I'm wondering if the flurry jabs, which proc between regular mstrike attacks, actually reset the type of attack that you need to tier up for the next attack. I keep meaning to actually look back at a warcamp log to figure this out, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I got rank 3 recently, but I haven't found the third rank to be all that useful, as the odds of getting 3 jabs aren't especially high. First, you actually have to have 3 enemies in the room. Then, you have to get a second strike (75% chance) before you even have a 50% chance of the third. If my math is right, this only gives you a 37% chance of 3 strikes when there are 3 foes present. I think it'd be more useful if I hunted warcamps with a partner, so there'd a bigger chance of having 3+ creatures around at once.

As far as halflings go, I think the main reason they're such a popular choice for monks is because of their inherent TD bonuses. Monks are infamous for their TD issues, and the +40 elemental TD and +20 sorc TD go a long way toward mitigating that. Monks have access to spells that boost spirit TD, but nothing that really helps with the elemental stuff.

And since UAF factors in both STR and AGI, halflings don't have big penalties to their UAF like they would to AS. Halflings have problems with generating AS for melee combat, and they have problems with RT when firing a bow, so UAC is kind of a natural fit.

Plus, everybody loves some lush toe hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    I think halflings in general are the best race, no matter the class.
    I'd generally agree, but I think burger gnomes probably make better wizards and sorcs. From a mechanical perspective, at least.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by khorpulent View Post
    I'd generally agree, but I think burger gnomes probably make better wizards and sorcs. From a mechanical perspective, at least.
    If I had to do it over again (I'm a Bgnome Monk), I'd still be a gnome again. Halfling though as a Monk has a massive, massive bonus. The thing a Monk most lacks self sufficiently is elemental TD, and halflings get a massive natural bonus to just that, as well as a few other types.

UAC and Maneuver-wise Gnome/Halfling are about equal (read: very, very good). I went gnome for the super logic bonus, but I was very torn on going Halfling for the ETD bonus.