Thread: How can I dodge 917 and general reim questions

1. Default How can I dodge 917 and general reim questions

So, I'm having some trouble dodging 917. I've edited this a few times for readability purposes, but it still may is messy and is a lot of text.

Perhaps one of someone familiar with mechanics of could 917 provide advice.

This is what I prepared with prior to taking on the empress (I tend to avoid any mobs that can cast 917 at this point).

Wearing an almost full dreavening,armored evasion, over-trained in the armor I am wearing by about 6 ranks above the maneuver requirements (not a lot but I'm not undertrained), paladin bonded weapon to rank 4 that adds cman and wisdom, enhancements for dodge that tallies up to a bonus of about two or 3 , no encumbrance, used a lightening feather charm just to be anal retentive, simucoin weight reduction potion (yes, i gone that far for testing purposes), defensive symbols for voln up, but the first and only spell the empress casts is 917 for about 6 reim runs or 7 (I think I succeeded once and then died to an electricity trap when I went back in to grind up to the max scrips earned) , 100% hit rate on me, 100% fatality rate. (please note I'm not mastered in Voln yet, I've been lazy, on step 15 so they're not full on defensive symbols).

Also using bravery cast by the ales at the last festival and a small statue. Paladin spells are at 30 ranks and minor spiritual at 1.

1x in dodge, pole arm user, 1x in cman

Is there any way to avoid getting wrecked by 917 every time it is cast by a mob or is it just an instagib? Improvements I can think to to mitigate the insta-gib.

I don't have crit padded armor, which I'm looking into at this time to help deal with stuns from it that knock me over every time on the first hit which then leads to my head getting exploded every time or a rank 2 wound somewhere that stuns me again and then rank 3 wounds everywhere until I'm dead. It's expensive though, and will take time to get.

My perception is kind of low (just got the tps freed at level 20 up to start training it and it's only at 10 at this point) but I'm working on it.

Will the nature resistant armor in DR help out with 917 damage? I've gotten the electricity protection based helm because I get killed by electrified chests about every 4 reim runs so I'm checking to see if that helps avoid instant death for that, so nature resistant armor isn't out of the question (though a bit expensive).

I've never really spoken to anyone that regularly goes to Reim that could provide input. Any advice? I'd ask for tips, but I feel like I'm getting much more than the tip every time I go to Reim. .

I don't really go at a time when other players at level 30 - 31 are interested (thats about the 3 am time period Eastern timezone on Fridays and Saturdays and if I have a saved dreavening at about 5 or 6 am on weekdays if I have the energy after work), but I get the 4+ creatures spawning in a single room once at least 3 times within 60 minutes so I have to be extremely careful. I've resorted to using the eWave ales sold at the last festival to help manage those events. It's hard to deal with if I don't have a dreavening or the eWave ales, so I can't really go there just to grind on the peasants in the first area without at least a dreavening.

On top of that, I've had about 5 or 6 consecutive traps hit me (this was one time, not every time, within the past month), when I tried to run from the room during one of those large numbers of creatures spawning all at once with a cloud being cast in the room. If I do run from these 4+ mob spawns, I usually get hit with at least 1 trap of a varying type that puts me into RT, when I am not immediately stunned or put into RT by a mob maneuver and prevented from running. (I do use the reim trap dodging script).

Is the trap generation random or are there triggers for it that I can avoid setting off?

Next up, Is Reim intended only for groups?

I've found the only way I can go into Reim without getting killed within 10-20 minutes by 3+ of peasants all casting spells that strip my defensive spells and/or clouds, while getting knocked over by a cman of some sort after a perfectly timed rt inducing cman by a mob, and then 2 bow users perma-stunning me then getting whittled to death by everything else is to run from more than 1 mob unless one is near death when the second one spawns (others always wander in or spawn) or to have a dreavening. I already avoid the two rooms that have persistent vines and skip anything that is in them, even with a dreavening, as the vines always (or so close to always) have a 100% success rate for immobilizing me.

At this point, I'm looking at just not bothering to go to Reim (and honestly I'm kind of soured on these types of activities after this experience in Reim) after I grind out the 9k reim scrip. I'm a little more than half way to the one item I want. Originally it wasn't this bad from what I recall, or perhaps it was and I just chalked it up to an incorrect perception. I expected Reim to be interesting, not almost impossible. There should be some sort of enjoyment, this isn't even boring like a grind would be, it's just a question of can I live for more than 30 minutes without a dreavening and how quickly will the empress kill me if I go to the throne room with a dreavening. Even with a dreavening it's rather dicey if I get locked in rt a lot and forced in a kneeling position or knocked over and then locked into rt due to yells and other cmans while archers kill me.

I'm not sure what else I can do to prepare for solo Reim grinding successfully even without going to the throne room. I think the liklihood of finding a group of people to go with at the times I can go and are of the appropriate level to Reim is low so I'm trying to account for that.

Target selection:
    I target casters and archers first, and then anything that has hit me with a cman successfully (especially the rogue like mobs that hamstring). Casters are always first because they all seem to cast cloud or strip me of a protective spell. They're usually successful when I get stuck in roundtime due to a cman. I already got the crystal from DR that holds 1701 to try and mitigate the spell stripping attempts that happen every 5 minutes or so when they manage to avoid getting stunned.

On a different topic:
    I'm seriously considering just going GoS at this point as it seems the majority of undead are noncorpreal and immune to every cman I can do with a pole arm and are immune to shield bashes with a sancted spiked shield, which is why I switched to pole arms. May as well get the extra damage in if I can.

How are GoS pole arm or 2hw pallys? Is it viable or is it an absolutely miserable experience like Reim has been for me? Can I survive in a warcamp with a full dreavening, statues, bravery, eWave, and charging casters to knock them over or stunning them with 1615 and slowing them before they cast most of the time, and a fire flaring 6x paladin bonded weapon or is that like Reim and not enough?

I will concede I am a extremely concerned about the required warcamp destruction at rank 15 if its the same level of difficulty as Reim, which seems to be nearly an impossible place to hunt as a player who is solo by necessity due to timezones and levels.

I'm willing to put in the time and thought into stuff (as I hope I have demonstrated above strategies and tactics and mitigation steps I've taken), but Reim is a bit of out of hand from my perspective as a mostly solo player and really don't want to deal with the same thing again after I manage to get these 9k scrip, if I do persist in trying to get the scrip.

If you've made it this far, I appreciate any feedback that may help.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarous View Post
    So, I'm having some trouble dodging 917. I've edited this a few times for readability purposes, but it still may is messy and is a lot of text.

Perhaps one of someone familiar with mechanics of could 917 provide advice.

This is what I prepared with prior to taking on the empress (I tend to avoid any mobs that can cast 917 at this point).

Wearing an almost full dreavening,armored evasion, over-trained in the armor I am wearing by about 6 ranks above the maneuver requirements (not a lot but I'm not undertrained), paladin bonded weapon to rank 4 that adds cman and wisdom, enhancements for dodge that tallies up to a bonus of about two or 3 , no encumbrance, used a lightening feather charm just to be anal retentive, simucoin weight reduction potion (yes, i gone that far for testing purposes), defensive symbols for voln up, but the first and only spell the empress casts is 917 for about 6 reim runs or 7 (I think I succeeded once and then died to an electricity trap when I went back in to grind up to the max scrips earned) , 100% hit rate on me, 100% fatality rate. (please note I'm not mastered in Voln yet, I've been lazy, on step 15 so they're not full on defensive symbols).

Also using bravery cast by the ales at the last festival and a small statue. Paladin spells are at 30 ranks and minor spiritual at 1.

1x in dodge, pole arm user, 1x in cman

Is there any way to avoid getting wrecked by 917 every time it is cast by a mob or is it just an instagib? Improvements I can think to to mitigate the insta-gib.

I don't have crit padded armor, which I'm looking into at this time to help deal with stuns from it that knock me over every time on the first hit which then leads to my head getting exploded every time or a rank 2 wound somewhere that stuns me again and then rank 3 wounds everywhere until I'm dead. It's expensive though, and will take time to get.

My perception is kind of low (just got the tps freed at level 20 up to start training it and it's only at 10 at this point) but I'm working on it.

Will the nature resistant armor in DR help out with 917 damage? I've gotten the electricity protection based helm because I get killed by electrified chests about every 4 reim runs so I'm checking to see if that helps avoid instant death for that, so nature resistant armor isn't out of the question (though a bit expensive).

I've never really spoken to anyone that regularly goes to Reim that could provide input. Any advice? I'd ask for tips, but I feel like I'm getting much more than the tip every time I go to Reim. .

I don't really go at a time when other players at level 30 - 31 are interested (thats about the 3 am time period Eastern timezone on Fridays and Saturdays and if I have a saved dreavening at about 5 or 6 am on weekdays if I have the energy after work), but I get the 4+ creatures spawning in a single room once at least 3 times within 60 minutes so I have to be extremely careful. I've resorted to using the eWave ales sold at the last festival to help manage those events. It's hard to deal with if I don't have a dreavening or the eWave ales, so I can't really go there just to grind on the peasants in the first area without at least a dreavening.

On top of that, I've had about 5 or 6 consecutive traps hit me (this was one time, not every time, within the past month), when I tried to run from the room during one of those large numbers of creatures spawning all at once with a cloud being cast in the room. If I do run from these 4+ mob spawns, I usually get hit with at least 1 trap of a varying type that puts me into RT, when I am not immediately stunned or put into RT by a mob maneuver and prevented from running. (I do use the reim trap dodging script).

Is the trap generation random or are there triggers for it that I can avoid setting off?

Next up, Is Reim intended only for groups?

I've found the only way I can go into Reim without getting killed within 10-20 minutes by 3+ of peasants all casting spells that strip my defensive spells and/or clouds, while getting knocked over by a cman of some sort after a perfectly timed rt inducing cman by a mob, and then 2 bow users perma-stunning me then getting whittled to death by everything else is to run from more than 1 mob unless one is near death when the second one spawns (others always wander in or spawn) or to have a dreavening. I already avoid the two rooms that have persistent vines and skip anything that is in them, even with a dreavening, as the vines always (or so close to always) have a 100% success rate for immobilizing me.

At this point, I'm looking at just not bothering to go to Reim (and honestly I'm kind of soured on these types of activities after this experience in Reim) after I grind out the 9k reim scrip. I'm a little more than half way to the one item I want. Originally it wasn't this bad from what I recall, or perhaps it was and I just chalked it up to an incorrect perception. I expected Reim to be interesting, not almost impossible. There should be some sort of enjoyment, this isn't even boring like a grind would be, it's just a question of can I live for more than 30 minutes without a dreavening and how quickly will the empress kill me if I go to the throne room with a dreavening. Even with a dreavening it's rather dicey if I get locked in rt a lot and forced in a kneeling position or knocked over and then locked into rt due to yells and other cmans while archers kill me.

I'm not sure what else I can do to prepare for solo Reim grinding successfully even without going to the throne room. I think the liklihood of finding a group of people to go with at the times I can go and are of the appropriate level to Reim is low so I'm trying to account for that.

Target selection:
    I target casters and archers first, and then anything that has hit me with a cman successfully (especially the rogue like mobs that hamstring). Casters are always first because they all seem to cast cloud or strip me of a protective spell. They're usually successful when I get stuck in roundtime due to a cman. I already got the crystal from DR that holds 1701 to try and mitigate the spell stripping attempts that happen every 5 minutes or so when they manage to avoid getting stunned.

On a different topic:
    I'm seriously considering just going GoS at this point as it seems the majority of undead are noncorpreal and immune to every cman I can do with a pole arm and are immune to shield bashes with a sancted spiked shield, which is why I switched to pole arms. May as well get the extra damage in if I can.

How are GoS pole arm or 2hw pallys? Is it viable or is it an absolutely miserable experience like Reim has been for me? Can I survive in a warcamp with a full dreavening, statues, bravery, eWave, and charging casters to knock them over or stunning them with 1615 and slowing them before they cast most of the time, and a fire flaring 6x paladin bonded weapon or is that like Reim and not enough?

I will concede I am a extremely concerned about the required warcamp destruction at rank 15 if its the same level of difficulty as Reim, which seems to be nearly an impossible place to hunt as a player who is solo by necessity due to timezones and levels.

I'm willing to put in the time and thought into stuff (as I hope I have demonstrated above strategies and tactics and mitigation steps I've taken), but Reim is a bit of out of hand from my perspective as a mostly solo player and really don't want to deal with the same thing again after I manage to get these 9k scrip, if I do persist in trying to get the scrip.

If you've made it this far, I appreciate any feedback that may help.
    Be a monk

Blog Entries

New Boil is 10x the pain in the ass old boil was. Open rolls seem to be very common, so avoiding completely it isn't really possible, and with the amount of damage it can generate padding only lets you live long enough to get boiled again. Best bet is to shut down the caster, if possible, but I don't Reim so I don't know if you can.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

How about you get 95% fire resistance added to your main armor from a ranger, and 95% nature resistance from a ranger added to some leg greaves.

Or the reverse I cant remember. Wouldnt this nulify a lot of the effects, even if you didnt succeed on dodge.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

5. Default

If you're in voln you can try putting symbol of transcendence up right before you go in the room. You get it at step 12. That'll protect from the stun and nasty wounds. After that you need to quickly incapacitate the empress before the symbol wears off. Symbol of transcendence works pretty much whenever you use it, so I often use it as a get out of jail free card when the first hit of 917 manage to land on my character or if I'm stunned/prone/RT'ed from any other thing that managed to hit me.

Usually being higher level than the caster helps a lot with 917 defense, but I doubt it's possible with reim. 917 uses SMR2 so stuff like physical fitness ranks also should help.
    Last edited by bunnymustdie; 08-26-2017 at 11:53 PM.

As a wizard, 917 crushes me. One thing I try to do is very quickly leave the room after the first pulse of 917 hits (assuming I manage a decent enough roll to evade it). You could probably script this. Make sure you're not in RT when the casters' spells are about to go off, etc. Also, if you leave the room JUST before the spell is cast, sometimes the caster will go ahead with it with you outside of the room (you'll see the messaging in the adjacent room). But yeah, 917 is evil.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    New Boil is 10x the pain in the ass old boil was. Open rolls seem to be very common, so avoiding completely it isn't really possible, and with the amount of damage it can generate padding only lets you live long enough to get boiled again. Best bet is to shut down the caster, if possible, but I don't Reim so I don't know if you can.
    There is sort of a way, but you have to have the timing perfect on it.

8. Default

I'm not sure, that was my next plan was to get resistance based armor.

I wear heavier armor. Rangers only get to do that to cloth and leather armor according to the wiki.

https://gswiki.play.net/Resist_Nature_(620)

9. Default

Yeah, I need to try that. I managed to use it a couple of times after being stunned, but got nicked to death even with 161 hp pretty quick by the combined force of 917 and the emperor. I need to try it before going in to see how well it works.

Thanks for reading and the feedback. I'll look at training more physical fitness.

10. Default

Too bad about the heavier armor. I think you might still be able to wear leather or bone leg greaves with same fire resistance over your heavier armor though, so you can at least get one resistance to your legs.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!