Thread: Is Trump Abandoning Tax Reform?

Arrow Is Trump Abandoning Tax Reform?

It looks like Trump's major goal is fighting the media. Tax reform would be more meaningful. Trump is repeating his mistake from a few weeks ago when his distraction with other issues is why the Senate failed to repeal Obamacare.

White House officials, including then-press secretary Sean Spicer, said in July that Trump would be hitting the road to lay the groundwork for tax reform before administration and congressional negotiators wrapped up their high-level work in September.

But with less than two weeks to go before Congress returns, and Republican leaders hoping to launch a major push to get tax legislation to the president’s desk by the end of the year, Trump has barely mentioned the subject.

More...

There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

It looks like my post woke up the White House. Trump is going to start talking about tax reform next week.

“‘Starting next week, the president’s agenda and calendar is going to revolve around tax reform,’ Mr Cohn said in an interview. ‘He will start being on the road making major addresses justifying the reasoning for tax reform and why we need it in the U.S.’”

More...

There were two important developments yesterday on tax reform. Ryan's comments make tax reform more likely. Trump's comments make tax reform slightly less likely. When push comes to shove, Trump will back down on his pledge not to cut taxes on the rich.

House Speaker Paul Ryan backed off months of promises that the Republicans' tax plan won't add to the nation's ballooning deficit, declaring Wednesday in an AP Newsmaker interview that the most important goal of an overhaul is economic growth.

Asked twice whether he would insist the emerging tax plan won't pile more billions onto the $20 trillion national debt, Ryan passed up the chance to affirm that commitment. GOP leaders made that "revenue neutral" promise in a campaign manifesto last year and many times since.

More...

WASHINGTON—President Donald Trump said Wednesday the emerging Republican tax proposal won’t cut taxes for the wealthy, and they may go up, an assurance that appeared to contradict the plan that his administration and GOP leaders are drafting.

More...

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    There were two important developments yesterday on tax reform. Ryan's comments make tax reform more likely. Trump's comments make tax reform slightly less likely. When push comes to shove, Trump will back down on his pledge not to cut taxes on the rich.
    Trump has *always* said that his tax relief would favor the middle class and not the wealthy. This is straight from his campaign and is only surprising to people who haven't seen his speeches or read his material.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerek View Post
    Trump has *always* said that his tax relief would favor the middle class and not the wealthy. This is straight from his campaign and is only surprising to people who haven't seen his speeches or read his material.
    Trumps already given the rich a tax cut through his corporate tax cut plan, which will invariably siphon back into the upper 2% of the income bracket through dividends, stock buybacks, and other capital gains. If he goes with Ryan to give the rich another tax cut that would be a double tax cut.

The Repubs depend upon people's ignorance of how our financial system works in order to pass shit off as something else.

But, seriously why give this guy...

more money?

While fucking over this person...
    Last edited by Kobold; 09-14-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
    Trumps already given the rich a tax cut through his corporate tax cut plan, which will invariably siphon back into the upper 2% of the income bracket through dividends, stock buybacks, and other capital gains. If he goes with Ryan to give the rich another tax cut that would be a double tax cut.

The Repubs depend upon people's ignorance of how our financial system works in order to pass shit off as something else.

But, seriously why give this guy...

more money?

While fucking over this person...
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible