Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: *WARNING* - Silvers Crashing

Quote Originally Posted by Tsk Tsk View Post
    I could see it being possible that people took things too personally on PC/lnet and quit the game, there are a lot of sensitive souls out there that don't have the willpower to just ignore people. With that said, it's a very very minor thing that may have happened a handful of times and the folks were likely already borderline ready to quit for numerous other reasons. A drop in the bucket to the billion other problems.
    Yeah but like you said how many people can it possibly be? People probably quit all the time over actual in game harassment/hard feelings that is much harder to ignore than simply doing ;lnet ignore person or ;untune lnet.

It's just funny watching him ignore legit actual concerns and pivot towards LNet and the PC for why people are quitting.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 08-22-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    @Gelston notice me, senpai!

Quote Originally Posted by C.Difficile View Post
    I'll start off by saying people like you are great for the game, as Wyrom intimated. You find what you enjoy and you enjoy it. That's great.

I won't gaslight by calling concern here hysteria, but it's fair to say a significant portion of the GS4 population has a significant real world investment in their item hoards, and the value of these items (i.e. the ability to "cash out" at some future date) relate directly to the health of the game long term. When you're talking real world values in the tens of thousands of dollars, it's not unreasonable for people to be concerned.

The issue with silver value and the corresponding concerns raised in this thread is that silver is a tangible representation of player "effort" in the game. That is, players are driven to do things and achieve things based on certain incentives in the game. A significant part of GSIV's incentive structure is gear upgrades over years and perhaps decades. In the past, you could buy crit padding/weighting, etc via silver, creating a direct link between in-game player effort and the primary incentive driver in the game.

With the new simucoin structure, you now have an in-game incentive system that's completely severed from one of the primary (and for many players THE primary) incentive drivers in game. The concern isn't really the value of the silvers themselves, but what the devaluation of silvers mean for its ability to act as an incentive mechanism for players to continue to advance in the game. This in turn affects players populations, longevity , etc. The implications are are incredibly significant for the game's long term existence.
    I appreciate the well-meaning response -- and I see where you're coming from, but I personally don't understand the whole "viewing Gemstone as an investment" mentality.

I understand that sometimes in-game things are worth real money (i.e., I could sell my WoW account with a ilevel 935 mage and 9/9 mythic achievements) but also understand that any changes in it could instantly make it all worthless (i.e., as soon as the next xpac hits in WoW).

Perhaps the relative stability of Gemstone -- i.e., 10x being the max power -- has led to the perception that doing so is somehow a good idea, or at least led to the defensiveness over preserving that "value" that a person has accrued.

But.. while something having value outside of the game might be an interesting byproduct of making a good game, intentionally catering to the idea that a game should have extra-game value is an odd one. The only other example I can think of like that is Blizzard's original conception of Diablo 3, which proved disastrously unpopular. Obviously that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but that's not the direction I'd want to see in the game.

Completely agree with you that Gemstone should have a meaningful currency, and that a player should be able to achieve increases in power correspondent with effort -- I'm just not sure that needs to translate into someone being able to "cash out" in order to make the game one worth playing.

IMO, the size of the playerbase is the overriding concern with regard to the lifespan of the game, and that SimuCoins should've been a replacement for, not an addition to, subscriptions. Milking the ever-dwindling whales until the game collapses doesn't seem like a smart strategy. \_(ツ)_/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Yeah but like you said how many people can it possibly be? People probably quit all the time over actual in game harassment/hard feelings that is much harder to ignore than simply doing ;lnet ignore person or ;untune lnet.

It's just funny watching him ignore legit actual concerns and pivot towards LNet and the PC for why people are quitting.
    Inurtia quit because she ran out of chowder.

Almost as if he's bragging.

Let me guess; the silver market has been responsible for players quitting?
    The people who try to make a living off of scripting and selling, sure they'd quit because the milk has gone bad.

I mean the market has been flooded for some time and people are willing/desperate to move currency. There are temporary surges, but when someone's dog dies/sob story here gets involved it's about getting cash over currency regulation.

It's not easy to see, but the writing has been on the wall for some time.
    LadyXXXXXXX: I guess I just like swallowing.
    LadyXXXXXXX: OMG that thing is HUGE

Tyrillian [General]: "Do you worship V'tull?"
    You [General]: "V'tull worships me."

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    Perhaps the relative stability of Gemstone
    That's exactly it. I don't know so much if people "invest" in GS in the traditional sense, that is buy 100 million silvers with the hope of selling them at a later date to make a profit, because for the most part the silver market either stays the same for a while or drops at a slow rate then sometimes they get a small temporary boost, so actually "investing" in the game doesn't make sense. But I think the thought process is "Hey I can buy this awesome sword of doom for 1000 dollars, get a lot of use out of it and have some fun with it, then maybe in a couple of years if I get bored with the game and decide to quit I can sell it for 900 dollars, so I'm only out 100."

I don't know if we're quite there yet (with items themselves losing a lot of real world value), but if it does happen someday then you'll have more people questioning "...do I really want to drop 1000 dollars for an in game item that might be worth 200 dollars in a few months?"

That's exactly it. I don't know so much if people "invest" in GS in the traditional sense, that is buy 100 million silvers with the hope of selling them at a later date to make a profit, because for the most part the silver market either stays the same for a while or drops at a slow rate then sometimes they get a small temporary boost, so actually "investing" in the game doesn't make sense. But I think the thought process is "Hey I can buy this awesome sword of doom for 1000 dollars, get a lot of use out of it and have some fun with it, then maybe in a couple of years if I get bored with the game and decide to quit I can sell it for 900 dollars, so I'm only out 100."

I don't know if we're quite there yet (with items themselves losing a lot of real world value), but if it does happen someday then you'll have more people questioning "...do I really want to drop 1000 dollars for an in game item that might be worth 200 dollars in a few months?"
    I get what you're saying, but I think the take-away here should be examining what's going through the mind of a person who thinks it's worth spending 1,000 real dollars for an item in a video game. To each their own, I suppose..
    Last edited by Ashliana; 08-22-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunseed View Post
    It's not easy to see, but the writing has been on the wall for some time.
    For sure. I think we all had an inkling this would happen some day when SimuCoins were released but since the SimuCoin store didn't compete too much with silvers we largely dismissed it. Now that the SimuCoin store is directly competing with silvers for just about every damn thing in the game it's hard to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
    The (silver) market is soft right now, and likely indefinitely. -Wyrom on the officials.

There you have it.
    Just like to say one thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I think the take-away here should be examining what's going through the mind of a person who thinks it's worth spending 1,000 real dollars for an item in a video game. To each their own, I suppose..
    In this particular case it's because, as you said, GS has been relatively stable in terms of a working in game economy, so a lot of people don't view it as spending 1k on an in game item, they see it as only losing a few bucks if they decide to sell the item later because it retains a lot of its value. If the perception that items are losing their value and fast I think there will be a lot fewer people willing to drop that kind of money for some items.

As far as people with 1k to burn on an in game item, meh, people spend all sorts of money on their hobbies. If you're playing GS for 3+ hours a day, 5+ days a week, then you're getting a lot of use out of your hobby, why not spend some extra money to enjoy it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
    Just like to say one thing...
    You really think that gif is more scathing than it is. You may have the record for most re-used stupid gif.
    The moons Lornon and Liabo collide and are both destroyed. Their remains fall upon Elanthia, destroying all living things and tearing apart the lands until Elanthia, itself, disintegrates.
    You rest peacefully.