Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Is Trump Resigning?

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    I'd ask you to explain this.. but we both know you are incapable.. that you just heard that from another retarded liberal (oh, sorry Briarfox... I meant retarded in the same manner you meant "asshole".. in nothing but a loving, appreciative and group hug type of way....)
    No problem PB! Try to get through the first sentence; I know reading comprehension is a skill you haven't mastered yet!

Which brings us to the House and the most underappreciated aspect of what’s propping up the Trump presidency: gerrymandering. Democrats need 24 seats to retake the House, and a new report from the Brennan Center estimates that “in the 26 states that account for 85 percent of congressional districts, Republicans derive a net benefit of at least 16-17 congressional seats in the current Congress from partisan bias.”

Congressional district maps were last redrawn after the 2010 Census — right when the tea party wave handed Republicans increased majorities in state legislatures, which meant control in more states over the new district lines. Thanks to technology, it’s easier than ever for one party to create new districts that maximize its seat share. In North Carolina in 2016, for example, Republican candidates received 53 percent of the total votes for the House, but won 10 of the 13 congressional seats. The results have been most pronounced in swing states; the report’s authors Laura Royden and Michael Li estimate that GOP-drawn maps in North Carolina, Michigan and Pennsylvania have netted Republicans between two and three seats on average in each state. (Some Democrats have played games as well: Royden and Li also estimate that Democratic gerrymandering in Maryland and Massachusetts cost the GOP a few seats.)

The GOP’s trickery means that instead of picking off a few Republicans here and there, Democrats need a wave to retake the House in 2018 and start honest oversight of the Trump White House. Such a wave is plausible given the Trump administration’s troubles — and the related difficulties Republicans have had enacting their agenda. But it’s equally plausible that gerrymandering could save Trump from a Democratic House. Trump opponents hoping for a quick conclusion should steel themselves for a long fight. And when congressional districts are redrawn again after the 2020 Census, Democrats — and honest Republicans — should back districts drawn in neutral fashion that actually reflect the will of the voters.

2. Default

LET'S BURN ALL THE STATUES OF GEORGE WASHINGTON TO THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In your safe space forums, calling George Washington an asshole would hopefully get you banned.
    My point is we should burn none of them, not that we should burn all of them. Remembering history, even its assholes, is important. It's just important that we remember them all accurately instead of with rose tinted glasses, like we remember Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
    No problem PB! Try to get through the first sentence; I know reading comprehension is a skill you haven't mastered yet!

Which brings us to the House and the most underappreciated aspect of what’s propping up the Trump presidency: gerrymandering. Democrats need 24 seats to retake the House, and a new report from the Brennan Center estimates that “in the 26 states that account for 85 percent of congressional districts, Republicans derive a net benefit of at least 16-17 congressional seats in the current Congress from partisan bias.”

Congressional district maps were last redrawn after the 2010 Census — right when the tea party wave handed Republicans increased majorities in state legislatures, which meant control in more states over the new district lines. Thanks to technology, it’s easier than ever for one party to create new districts that maximize its seat share. In North Carolina in 2016, for example, Republican candidates received 53 percent of the total votes for the House, but won 10 of the 13 congressional seats. The results have been most pronounced in swing states; the report’s authors Laura Royden and Michael Li estimate that GOP-drawn maps in North Carolina, Michigan and Pennsylvania have netted Republicans between two and three seats on average in each state. (Some Democrats have played games as well: Royden and Li also estimate that Democratic gerrymandering in Maryland and Massachusetts cost the GOP a few seats.)

The GOP’s trickery means that instead of picking off a few Republicans here and there, Democrats need a wave to retake the House in 2018 and start honest oversight of the Trump White House. Such a wave is plausible given the Trump administration’s troubles — and the related difficulties Republicans have had enacting their agenda. But it’s equally plausible that gerrymandering could save Trump from a Democratic House. Trump opponents hoping for a quick conclusion should steel themselves for a long fight. And when congressional districts are redrawn again after the 2020 Census, Democrats — and honest Republicans — should back districts drawn in neutral fashion that actually reflect the will of the voters.
    A simple "I have no idea what I'm talking about" would have sufficed from you.

Are you going for the record number of accounts with full red rep?

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Gerrymandering won for Trump.
    Look man, I'm not a Trump fan either - but this literally makes no sense, you can't gerrymander a state line.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    My point is we should burn none of them, not that we should burn all of them. Remembering history, even its assholes, is important. It's just important that we remember them all accurately instead of with rose tinted glasses, like we remember Washington.
    I'm pretty sure you've never seen statues of many famous (and infamous) people, yet still know who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    California preferred Hillary you mean.
    No, the majority of Americans that voted preferred Hillary.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pin View Post
    No, the majority of Americans that voted preferred Hillary.
    The majority of Americans didn't even vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    The majority of Americans didn't even vote.
    Hence the pronoun 'that'

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    Unfortunately, due to gerrymandering and the seats up for reelection and so forth, Republicans and even Trump have pretty good shots in the next election. It's not fair or honest, and it's certainly not representative of the actual democratic majority in the U.S., but there it is.
    Yes clearly gerrymandering is why Trump won a bunch of states that voted for Obama in '08 and/or 2012 or haven't gone red in years/decades.

It's a good thing we have experts like you around to speak facts and not let emotion cloud your judgement.
    Last edited by Methais; 08-19-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

You mean how you blamed gerrymandering on Trump's election and how he didn't even win the popular vote.. and when I asked you to explain it, you said it was an 8th grade concept and you didn't want to interfere with our circle jerk?

Yea, I agree.

Seriously though, thanks for playing the role of time4fun for a little bit. Not sure what absolutely triggggggggggggggggggggered you again, but get back on those meds and slink back to your safe space again.
    I'd just like to take a moment to point out how nice it's been here now that time4fun is posting like 90% less.

PC before time4cunt:

PC during time4cuck:

PC after time4kek:

Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible