Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Who here is stupid?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by C.Difficile View Post
    Discussed this during a MENSA roundtable.
    Oh do shut up, you giant gaping cunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    Oh do shut up, you giant gaping cunt.
    Lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by C.Difficile View Post
    Discussed this during a MENSA roundtable.
    This says everything I think when I see someone brag about being in MENSA: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2015/08/3...n-youre-smart/

Also, leading with that usually means most people stop reading whatever bullshit you are getting ready to vomit up.
    Last edited by Tisket; 08-15-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    I'm late to the party, but:

Setting aside the fact that a jet engine gains additional thrust from having air pushed into the intakes via movement (Thank you Kerbal Explosion Simulator), assuming the turbines generate enough thrust for takeoff, of course the answer is no...a 747 cannot take off like a harrier jet, no matter how much you wish it Gelston. Movement generates lift. If there is no movement, there is no lift. Not even if the engines were pointed straight upward. They'd have to be much, much stronger engines. The engines make the plane move forward fast enough that air assists the wings in generating lift, and then the engines keep it moving forward fast enough to keep generating that lift. Can't run on engines alone without lift.

Unless you change the question, which is what I think you think you've done but haven't.
    There would STILL BE MOVEMENT. Planes are not propelled by their wheels.

5. Default

There would STILL BE MOVEMENT. Planes are not propelled by their wheels.
    The question states: The conveyor belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels.

If the wheels are turning the exact same speed as the conveyor belt, there is no forward movement. That's the part you're not gettin'. The jet engines work to increase the speed of the wheels, but the conveyor belt matches it as per the terms of the question posed. Without any forward movement, there is no lift, and no getting off the ground. The only hope would be to change the power of the engines on a 747 to be able to vertical takeoff like a harrier...which is minimum 735,000 pounds per google on a 747 (A harrier comes in around 26,000 max takeoff capacity). I doubt jet turbines powerful enough to vertical lift 735,000 pounds exist, but if they did, that's the only hope for the scenario as posed.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 08-15-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Blog Entries

The question states: The conveyor belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels.

If the wheels are turning the exact same speed as the conveyor belt, there is no forward movement. That's the part you're not gettin'. The jet engines work to increase the speed of the wheels, but the conveyor belt matches it as per the terms of the question posed.
    The plane doesn't care about the tires spinning. Those only exist because the plane has to have contact with the ground during take off, landing, and when it isn't flying, because it can't hover like star wars things.
    Last edited by Gelston; 08-15-2017 at 04:49 PM.

7. Default

The plane doesn't care about the tires spinning. Those only exist because the plane has to have contact with the ground during take off, landing, and when it isn't flying, because it can't hover like star wars things.
    How then do you suppose the plane will move forward prior to achieving flight, if not by the wheels? In order to achieve lift.

Blog Entries

How then do you suppose the plane will move forward prior to achieving flight, if not by the wheels? In order to achieve lift.
    The engines on the wings propel it.

9. Default

The engines on the wings propel it.
    Gravity exists. The jet engine pushes it forward and gravity pushes it downward at 9.8ms^2. The downward causes the wheels to be necessary in the equation. And the wheels are being pushed backwards as fast as the engine pushes forward, again, per the terms of the question.

10. Default

6 pages and no one realizes Gelston is trolling the fuck out of y'all. You guys are slacking.