Page 56 of 104 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 1037

Thread: Wyrom Announcement:

  1. #551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0zymandius View Post
    Your analogy is somewhat flawed, I think? The way I think of it is this: Picture your local bar. The bar you've been going to for years has people screaming back and forth at each other all day long, overriding almost any conversation aside from that. They scream the most vile things they can at each other, nonstop, and anyone who goes there has to put up with it (or try to 'ignore' it as best they can). And for the most part, people have put up with it, for years and years. And some of those people (the non-epithet-spewing group) have even managed to make friends there, or been able to conduct business there. Hell, they might even think some of the drama-mongers are amusing, or agree with some of the epithets they hurl.

    Then a new bar opens up. This new bar advertises, loud and proud, that they're going to enforce a code of conduct, and that screeching epithets, personal attacks and overall vileness won't be tolerated from people who want to go there for their social/business needs. For those who feel like the old bar is the only way to live, and they should be free to express themselves in any way they see fit, the old bar isn't going anywhere or changing how they run their business (largely because the owner is never around). For those who are tired of that atmosphere, there's a new bar in town.

    To further inhabit my analogy, a lot of us have asked that the hate-screamers have their own soundproof room installed. That way we could enjoy everything else about the old local bar that we appreciate. We even had a contractor offer to do it for nothing, but the owner was unresponsive. Given that, when a new option was introduced, a lot of folks decided that was their chance to get the things they wanted without having to deal with all the constant screeching.
    Yeah great analogy. Except you missed the part where some people whined loudly and hatefully themselves about how much they needed a safe space bar because they couldn't handle the shit at the old bar anymore, and as soon as the new bar opened up those whiners all fled to the new bar but oddly enough still come back to the old bar to be dicks. So clearly it wasn't so much they were above all of the bullshit, they just wanted people to think they were above the bullshit, right?

    Also your analogy fails because no one was being forced to come to this forum, much like no one was being forced to go to your bar. Again in real life people would have left that bar ages ago if they really didn't like it, how come no one left this forum over the years even though many forums have attempted to destroy this community over the years? How come the new safe space forums hardly had a post until Wyrom made a big announcement that he was exclusively posting (LOL!) there from now on with the carrot that if everyone played nice more GMs would post there too.

    See, again, your analogy fails because if this place was so horrible and unsavory people wouldn't need a hook to move to the new bar, they would have moved a long time ago when the dozens of other opportunities presented themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by 0zymandius View Post
    Take my above analogy a half step further. Some of the people who might prefer the atmosphere of the new bar still like some of the aspects of the old one. Hell, they like some of the people that still go there. So they're going to stop in from time to time and see how the old place is holding up.
    Bullshit. You don't get to have it both ways. "Oh the PC is so horrible! Such a cesspool! We need a new forum with rules and moderation! Oh but I still like the fact that I can act like a giant dick on the PC, you know the very reason I wanted to get away from the PC in the first place! LOL!"

    Also I don't see people coming over there to make well thought out and reasoned posts with their old chums who haven't made the move. Instead all I see are insults, mud slinging, outright trolling behavior where the person admits they are trolling, and of course time4fun coming here to spew her hatred and bullshit over in the politics folder.

    Quote Originally Posted by 0zymandius View Post
    Now, I understand we see the whole thing differently.
    You're absolutely right we see things differently. I'm calling out the two-faced bullshit of the whiners who screamed the loudest for a safe space while you're defending the two-faced behavior because reasons.
    @Gelston notice me, senpai!

  2. #552
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    21,818
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    It tricks me too. I always think for a second that I must have been posting in my sleep or something.
    I almost copied your sig too.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheNorth View Post
    I don't have a problem with wyrom posting here. I actually think its smart. But its an un-official board. If he wants to bounce ideas and get feedback off the larger userbase these boards have cool, good idea. Taking his ball and going home to a smaller forum with more rules/cronies is exactly the same as him staying on the officials though.
    You may not have a problem with it, but I could see Simu corporate not wanting anyone officially connected with the company anywhere near some of the sort of things posted here.

  4. #554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    Which camp do I belong in?
    Honestly i dont know why everyone hates on you so much. It's kind of like youre the "kid" in the group that gets bullied but no one really knows why.

    OK to be fair sometimes you say dumb shit, no offense. But I think everyones allowed a quota of dumb shit?

    I just dont like the bullying that goes on here, it's not healthy for the community and now when I see it spreading to GM's I can see why this whole dust up is happening.

  5. #555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcostell View Post
    You may not have a problem with it, but I could see Simu corporate not wanting anyone officially connected with the company anywhere near some of the sort of things posted here.
    This. I'm actually surprised Wyrom posted here as long as he did for this very reason.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnix View Post
    I just dont like the bullying that goes on here, it's not healthy for the community and now when I see it spreading to GM's I can see why this whole dust up is happening.
    I don't think GM's should get abused either. And they aren't on the official boards. Why should being a GM shield you from life outside GS and not anyone else though?

  7. #557

    Default

    In fairness, it wasn't GMs it was one GM. Maybe if they were all allowed to post here and interact with the community, the harassment could be spread around enough so it wouldn't be so overbearing?!
    ~The person formally known as the player of Inurtia.

    ~Gelston is a vegan hipster that is lacking a standing desk, probably because he lost his jersey.

    ~Don't forget to tag me!

  8. #558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheNorth View Post
    I don't think GM's should get abused either. And they aren't on the official boards. Why should being a GM shield you from life outside GS and not anyone else though?
    I think the issue is: No one visits the officials (frankly because they suck, hard, from a feature standpoint so participation has dwindled to almost nothing), and dev team wants some connections with the playerbase, right now PC is the only option for that because thats where all the players (and a handful of trolls) are hanging out.

    Frankly I think there are some people on here who just get their kicks from flaming/trolling people GM or otherwise. And that is not "normal life" it is this hiding behind the screen and bullying others makes me feel like a bigger person thing. That will rot a community from the inside if its not dealt with.
    Last edited by nocturnix; 08-09-2017 at 02:26 PM.

  9. #559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnix View Post
    Yah verbal abuse of GMs should not stand. Having tons of rules or over-moderation is not the answer either. But I'm not sure people realize or appreciate how cool it is to have game designers joining a community of players to get input and share dev processes and how the game works etc. That's quite rare in the game world. It's not a matter of "Wyrom doing this, not doing that, taking his ball here or there" It's about showing respect.
    Except Wyrom wasn't subjected to any sort of harassment or hate that I can recall. Yeah, sure, he's getting shit in this thread, as well he should. This community built itself up over a decade, shit we're close to 2 decades now aren't we? It has its own set of rules (or lack there of) its own quirks, its own culture...sort of. But it's the only unofficial GS community in existence, shit to my knowledge the only unofficial SIMU community in existence since DR never moved to a new forum after their old unofficial forum shut down, again to my knowledge.

    So rather than coming here and working within the confines of how things work here, knowing full well how this place is (considering he used to post here all the time before he became a GM), he makes up some bullshit story about how he was inundated with harassing private messages and rep comments, how 3 people just one day decided to make a new forum that just so happen to have all of his wants and dreams met, and how the "real" reason he needed a new forum was because of the lack of a tag feature here. Which, you know, fine, fuck it, you need a new forum go make your new forum. But the clear intention wasn't to create a new community from scratch and appeal to people because of the awesome features and rules and policies, the clear intention was to tear people away from this already established community with the help of the only mod on this forum. Wyrom was more than happy with butt lickers like Alastir over here spamming the shit out of the new forums, relaying the information that we're just too big of meanie heads for Wyrom to post here anymore and if we wanted one on one discussions with the GMs we would have to play nice at the new forum.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 08-09-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    @Gelston notice me, senpai!

  10. Default

    This isn't an official board. It's like if a harley davidson rep walked into a hell's angels clubhouse and said HEY YOU ALL RIDE HARLEY DAVIDSONS SO FOLLOW THESE RULES. If they take over these boards from kranar or get them shutdown and we are forced to post other places that it's clear GM's get special treatment then fine so be it. As it is now these are Kranar's boards that have Gemstone IV related material. So he makes the rules not anyone else and it's pretty clear he doesn't want any.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •