Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebon Gate and Microtransactions

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Holy shit, I remember playing that game in like 3rd grade and thinking it was the shit. No wonder a 30 year old MUD still keeps me entertained.
    Here you go, donno if it's against the rules (who reads those).

https://www.bat.org/race/duck

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allereli View Post
    Questions bc I don't play or have any interest in other MUD games:

Do they have large festivals like EG?
    How much item customization is there?
    How much do they take player feedback on item design?
    How much GM support is there for player-run events/groups?

(answers of "less/same/more" are cool if you don't want to write an essay bc I don't really want to read one)

One reason I support a change to EG is the change from it becoming a complete rat race to "get my money's worth," to instead be "pay for what I have time to do." I've already posted displeasure on the officials about the new shell currency along with audibly groaning at the 'con announcement loud and close enough for Wyrom to hear me, but I'm open to seeing the format change.
    My experience with other MUDs are mostly with free ones. They don't really have festivals like EG, though many would have simple events during holidays. Could be just a special turkey monster you kill for rewards during thanksgiving or 3x exp during christmas.

Usually there's less item customization. Keep in mind a lot of other MUDs out there are more hack and slash games similar to WOW, where you kill stuff, get stronger equipment, and move on. There's less of an emphasis on special items that make your character unique. Where there is item customization, there isn't as much rules about it (materials, nouns, etc) like GS have. I had a container changed into a "foul smelling chamber pot" in a different MUD years ago and the GMs were cool with it.

For the most part other games out there do take player feedback on items and game play in general, probably the same as here on average. Players are a precious commodity MUDs fight with each others over, if players provide feedback most GMs will listen.

There's support for player events/groups. Usually less than here.

A lot of stuff I mentioned above can be boiled down to a matter of man power. Most MUDs out there are not run by a for-profit corporation with a big staff. They're working with a much smaller staff of completely unpaid volunteers, and they adapt accordingly.

3. Default

The PC and their relationship with Wyrom...

I dislike making EG MC based. Id prefer if there there was a 100% ticket i could buy. Then if folks didnt want the entire ticket, they could just use MC for that part.

I HATE the digging thing. I like digging. They should make two digger games. The first is silver based and just like digging we always known. Then make special MC shovels that you can buy that uses a second simucoin only hopper. Honestly, im looking at probably not buying anything for EG this year instead of spending the money for a ticket.
    If you shoot for the stars you will burn up in the atmosphere

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malisai View Post
    I dislike making EG MC based. Id prefer if there there was a 100% ticket i could buy. Then if folks didnt want the entire ticket, they could just use MC for that part.

I HATE the digging thing. I like digging. They should make two digger games. The first is silver based and just like digging we always known. Then make special MC shovels that you can buy that uses a second simucoin only hopper. Honestly, im looking at probably not buying anything for EG this year instead of spending the money for a ticket.
    But then the simucoin only hopper would have all the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Malisai View Post
    I HATE the digging thing. I like digging.
    LOL, wut?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    LOL, wut?
    I took it to mean she hates that digging will cost simucoins instead of silvers because she likes to dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    LOL, wut?
    I like the digging game. I hate they are changing it to be a MC.
    If you shoot for the stars you will burn up in the atmosphere

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GM Wyrom
    I think at some point something must have been severely misunderstood. There have been a lot of accusations thrown out in the thread based on the announcement at SimuCon for Ebon Gate.

One thing I want to say is, we're not milking anyone of anything. At the end of the day, most everyone is enjoying themselves at these events. People are having fun. People are going to these new venues more than ever before. And not everyone is paying a whole lot. There is always the case where someone wants it all. There is always the cases of buyer's remorse. Not everyone feels they got their money's worth. But participation is still quite high.

On top of that, last year we had an immense number of high end items and services available for silvers. We probably did more last year than we have in the last 7 years. Only event that I can think that came remotely close is EG 2009, followed by RtCF/CCF. And those were gated by pricier tickets. The things last year? All non-pay events. Sure, we had pay events as well, but I am strictly talking about everything else. GS also has a very lively secondary market. Everything is basically on sale for silvers in the player market. You don't have to spend a dime at Duskruin, because there are people selling slips and tokens for silver around the clock. I see it every single time.

We are able to do much more with the game. We've conquered huge projects. And we have a great roster of GameMasters who are constantly working on things they both enjoy and make the game prosper. We're also giving back in ways we've never been able to before. We have the SimuCoin Rewards that are monthly extras for all of our subscribers.

Yes, we have a more robust event schedule. We do not plan each event to have the same attendance though. Surprised as you might be, but we have thousands of subscribers. We also have hundreds of active F2P users. We try to make things appeal to all of our players. If events aren't your thing, we have a great base game with plenty to do.

Touching base one last time about Ebon Gate, we haven't really talked much about the event. We will have activities that take silvers. We will have activities that take SimuCoin entries. We will use a mix of currencies. There will be a lot of options available to people. We've been doing a real decent job of balancing this event that appeals to those that felt the $50 was too much for a ticket, as well as those that don't mind spending the former ticket price.

You're definitely free to your opinions. If you're not having fun with GemStone IV, there is nothing stopping you from finding a new source of entertainment. We'll be here though if you want to come back. We'll likely be a bit bigger though (we peaked 700 online the other night for a short while).

Wyrom, PM
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Blog Entries

You're definitely free to your opinions. If you're not having fun with GemStone IV, there is nothing stopping you from finding a new source of entertainment.

The fucking arrogance though.