Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Request to Filter "What's New" view

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    I don't think anyone is unaware that there are alternative ways of viewing. It's also not the same view, not as easy, and doesn't give the same insight into everything that's happening to view from a folder by folder perspective. It's substantially more mouse clicks for reduced information. It's a fairly important feature that you're telling people that they have no right to use because they're asking for enhancements to the feature.
    I'm not telling them they don't have a right to anything. I'm just laughing at all these laborious mouse-clicks.

Reading posts from the Activity Stream is so jarring to me I don't understand why people like it.

Rather than going to "New Posts", finding a thread you want to read, then clicking the blue arrow to bring you to the first unread post then reading all new posts in order, you instead click "Activity Stream" and get all posts forum wide in order of which they were posted.

So you're reading about an auction in one post, then about who sexed up whom in GS, then about how much of an asshole Trump is then BAM! You're back to the sex thread, then you're back to Trump is an asshole, then you're on how much monks suck, then back to sex, then back to the original auction thread, then monks sucking Trump's asshole.

Just seems like an odd way to read the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Reading posts from the Activity Stream is so jarring to me I don't understand why people like it.

Rather than going to "New Posts", finding a thread you want to read, then clicking the blue arrow to bring you to the first unread post then reading all new posts in order, you instead click "Activity Stream" and get all posts forum wide in order of which they were posted.

So you're reading about an auction in one post, then about who sexed up whom in GS, then about how much of an asshole Trump is then BAM! You're back to the sex thread, then you're back to Trump is an asshole, then you're on how much monks suck, then back to sex, then back to the original auction thread, then monks sucking Trump's asshole.

Just seems like an odd way to read the forums.
    It's definitely a jumbled mess. I'm honestly surprised at how many people use it.

I bookmark usercp.php. I middle-click any thread I'm subscribed to that I care to see new posts in, which opens those threads as new tabs. Still in the main tab, I then click New Posts to see what else I want to suffer through. It's easy.
    Looking for: krodera items, the gleaming krodera long knife, oldstyle katanas

August 20, 2006
    >just ban
    You are currently banished from Wehnimer's Landing.

>ask clerk about citizen
    The clerk says, "Hrrrm, Mogonis, you do seem to be eligible for full citizenship. Just WRITE your name in the book if you wish to make it official."

>write book
    You sign your name into the citizenship registration book, fully agreeing to the duties and privileges full citizenship provides you.

The only nice thing about activity stream is it also shows when people post to people's walls, group messages, blogs, and stuff like that. So since I can't stand Activity Stream to begin with I tend to miss out on all of that stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    I'm not telling them they don't have a right to anything. I'm just laughing at all these laborious mouse-clicks.
    One for the folder, another for the thread, to realize it's a bullshit post... that's two mouse clicks, third mouse click to return to normal. Per entry. Activity stream by default shows 25 posts, so that's 75 clicks as opposed to 1. We can discount probably about 1/3rd of those due to repeat posts on threads, so lets go ahead and say 50 clicks

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    I don't think anyone is unaware that there are alternative ways of viewing.
    This forum is filled with unaware individuals. You are giving some of them far too much credit.

It's also not the same view, not as easy, and doesn't give the same insight into everything that's happening to view from a folder by folder perspective.
    It's pretty fucking easy. You literally would have to be dumb not to get it.

It's substantially more mouse clicks for reduced information.
    LOL.

If someone is that concerned with the "substantially more mouse clicks", they should probably be using some voice directed software to use the forums. Seriously though, how many people are that concerned about using an extra 2 or 3 mouse clicks?

It's a fairly important feature that you're telling people that they have no right to use because they're asking for enhancements to the feature.
    You might be losing it if you believe people's "rights" are being trampled on at this point. We get it... Kranar didn't respond to you and you're upset.

It's going to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerit View Post
    I'd love the option to select folders within the PC to hide / filter from the What's New view. I like reading about the game, but 90% of what you see in this view is Politics. This means I have to go hunting through each game-related folder for new dates to read about the game on a forum that is primarily designed to support a game community.

Much appreciated if there's any way this could be implemented!
    It's time4fun's fault.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    It's time4fun's fault.
    It really is. She trolls the fuck out of the political threads. Shit is dead and she pops back up and posts retardation that is hard to ignore.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    If someone is that concerned with the "substantially more mouse clicks", they should probably be using some voice directed software to use the forums. Seriously though, how many people are that concerned about using an extra 2 or 3 mouse clicks?
    I'd like to know how many of them are actually desk-jockeys browsing the forums at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    It really is. She trolls the fuck out of the political threads. Shit is dead and she pops back up and goes Potato 10 (or P10 or full Potato) that is hard to ignore.
    Potato Scale'd.
    Last edited by subzero; 08-02-2017 at 09:58 PM.