Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The River of Blood

Red face The River of Blood

While reading up on the Trump family crest earlier today, I came across a photo of the crest on the "River of Blood" monument at Trump's golf course on Lowes Island, Virginia. Somehow, I completely overlooked the story of the River of Blood during the 2016 campaign. Here it is, copied from Wikipedia, for your edification..

On one of the courses, between the 14th and the 15th hole, Trump had a stone pedestal built with a flagpole on it, and had a plaque placed on the pedestal,[1] with the inscription:

Many great American soldiers, both of the North and South, died at this spot. The casualties were so great that the water would turn red and thus became known as "The River of Blood".[1]

The plaque bears Trump's name and the Trump Organization's crest.[2] The accompanying text reads, "It is my great honor to have preserved this important section of the Potomac River!"[1]

Historians say no such event ever took place at this site. One local historian, Craig Swain, cited the killing of two soldiers by citizens in 1861 as the only Civil War event that occurred on the island.[3] The site lies near Rowser's Ford, over which on June 27, 1863, General Stuart led 5,000 Confederate soldiers with no record of fatalities, and according to the president of the Mosby Heritage Area Association, the only Civil War battle in the area was the Battle of Ball's Bluff, 11 miles away.[1] Other historians consulted by The New York Times for a story in 2015 agree; one of them had written to the Trump Organization about the falsehood. Trump himself disputed the historians' statements:

"That was a prime site for river crossings. So, if people are crossing the river, and you happen to be in a civil war, I would say that people were shot — a lot of them."

"How would they know that?" Mr. Trump asked when told that local historians had called his plaque a fiction. "Were they there?"[1]

Trump said that "numerous historians" had told him the story of the River of Blood, though he later changed that to say they had spoken to "his people".[1] The story broke while the Donald Trump presidential campaign was in full swing, and the Daily Telegraph noted that at that time he "had more weighty facts to clarify, such as his claim that Muslims in New Jersey cheered on the day of the 9/11 attacks – an old rumour that has long been discredited – and his latest boast, that he watched people jumping to their deaths from the Twin Towers from his Manhattan flat, four miles away".[4]

More...
    Thank you, President Trump, for preserving this important piece of history.

The Trump family crest, by the way, is really the family crest of a former owner of Mar-a-Lago. Trump adopted it as his own with one modification. He removed the word "integrity" and replaced it with the synonym "Trump."
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

...and not even surprised anymore.
    You slap Walkar's cheek, hard.
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

If I remember correctly, (I was there), the Battle of Ball's Bluff led to the first casualties of the Civil War. I think Mr Trump has his site confused with Shiloh. This should surprise no one.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Hi. I'm Steve.

No actual battle happened at that marker, it made news already.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Fake news.
    You know what isn't fake news? Rasmussen, Trump's oh-so-favorite poll, now has him at 61% disapproval. A supermajority of disapproval, one might say, Tgo. Or are they now fake news that they've dared report the unwelcome truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    You know what isn't fake news? Rasmussen, Trump's oh-so-favorite poll, now has him at 61% disapproval. A supermajority of disapproval, one might say, Tgo. Or are they now fake news that they've dared report the unwelcome truth?
    Just answer the question, Ashliana. Be a man for just once in your life. If Holder decided to go after pot smokers in Colorado anyway, do you think Obama would have been within his right to fire Holder, or would that have been an obstruction of justice as well?

Just admit you were wrong. Why can't you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Just answer the question, Ashliana. Be a man for just once in your life. If Holder decided to go after pot smokers in Colorado anyway, do you think Obama would have been within his right to fire Holder, or would that have been an obstruction of justice as well?

Thanks for that. I didn't think you could muster up a substantive response.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post

Thanks for that. I didn't think you could muster up a substantive response.