Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mutant ohe/thw/twc build

Default Mutant ohe/thw/twc build

I've gotten my new rogue to 15 and have a week left before 30 days. Please take a look at the stat and skill info below to see if you think there are any glaring issues that I'll have serious troubles with. So far I've loved using a katana and the crit weighting it comes with, but I also hate the dodge/parry system when it comes to having my own shots blocked, which is why I also really like two weapon combat, so I thought I'd try to fit them both. I fudged my stats to get my tp's where I needed them for this build. I don't plan to ever pick boxes. I posted skills, then current stats, then my starting stats. I appreciate any feedback.

*Forgot to mention that I'll train in armor when I can. I'll stick with doubles for now until I can switch to brig, then just hang there for quite some time.

Code:
     Bob (at level 15), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
      Skill Name                         | Current Current
                                         |   Bonus   Ranks
      Two Weapon Combat..................|     128      34
      Armor Use..........................|      40       8
      Combat Maneuvers...................|      78      17
      Edged Weapons......................|     128      34
      Two-Handed Weapons.................|     133      34
      Ambush.............................|     128      34
      Physical Fitness...................|      78      17
      Dodging............................|      78      17
      Stalking and Hiding................|     128      34
      Perception.........................|     128      34
      Climbing...........................|      25       5
    Code:
    Race: Dark Elf  Profession: Rogue (not shown)
                      Normal (Bonus)  ...  Enhanced (Bonus)
        Strength (STR):    95 (22)    ...   95 (22)
    Constitution (CON):    83 (11)    ...   83 (11)
       Dexterity (DEX):    87 (28)    ...   87 (28)
         Agility (AGI):    97 (28)    ...   97 (28)
      Discipline (DIS):    74 (2)     ...   74 (2)
            Aura (AUR):    73 (21)    ...   73 (21)
           Logic (LOG):    75 (12)    ...   75 (12)
       Intuition (INT):    77 (18)    ...   77 (18)
          Wisdom (WIS):    27 (-6)    ...   27 (-6)
       Influence (INF):    32 (-14)   ...   32 (-14)
    Code:
    Level 0 Stats for Bob, Dark Elf Rogue

Strength (STR): 90
    Constitution (CON): 80
       Dexterity (DEX): 80
         Agility (AGI): 90
      Discipline (DIS): 70
            Aura (AUR): 70
           Logic (LOG): 70
       Intuition (INT): 70
          Wisdom (WIS): 20
       Influence (INF): 20
    Last edited by Viekn; 06-27-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Generally, I wouldn't recommend crit weighting for someone who ambushes from hiding. You'll get a decent bonus to crit weighting already, so I'd focus on a higher AS for ambushing.

Have you considered rolling a warrior? It doesn't look like you are interested in focusing on rogue skills. Aiming your strikes from the open with a katana or multi-striking with TWC are both great paths for a warrior.

If you are going to go the path of a rogue, your defense is going to be pretty weak. THW and TWC can both cause some problems with your DS. Since you are only singling in dodge and haven't pushed armor, you will be pretty squishy. Rogues can get around this by either being very good at hiding (usually 3x and Vanish as a backup) or using small weapons and stance dancing.

Your build will definitely work, but you might need to make friends with a cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhovan View Post
    Your build will definitely work, but you might need to make friends with a cleric.
    Ha, that was funny. Thanks for the thoughts. Going to consider them. The reason I went with rogue was because my plan is to ambush from hiding, which as I interpret it, rogues are mechanically better at than any others. My initial plan was to ambush from hiding using TWC flaring short swords to get the crit weighting from ambushing from hiding, getting a better chance at avoiding a dodge/parry from the critter by getting two strikes in, and having the flares help out as well. For my first 30 days or so, I just trained two handed weapons. Well I picked up a vaalorn katana and have since really liked using it. So despite the heavy tp requirements for using it one handed (plus the 10AS penalty for holding something in your off hand when you do), I thought why not dual wield the katana and a wakizashi, which is kind of how I ended up thinking about the build I posted. I just respeced him last night with one of my 5 fixstats and haven't had the chance to really try out the new build. In regards to ambushing from hiding with the katana, do you get much extra crit weighting when you use them both together, or none at all or not really?

I agree with Rhovan, you seem to be trying to play a badass, TWC Katana/Wakizashi samurai-style warrior, but you have seemingly chosen the wrong class. Also, ambushing with flaring short swords is arguable even more pointless than using crit weighted weapons to ambush, fyi.

If really want a TWC Katana ambusher, then that's probably as good as it'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by zennsunni View Post
    I agree with Rhovan, you seem to be trying to play a badass, TWC Katana/Wakizashi samurai-style warrior, but you have seemingly chosen the wrong class.
    That wasn't my original intent, it's just kind of what it evolved in to.

Quote Originally Posted by zennsunni View Post
    Also, ambushing with flaring short swords is arguable even more pointless than using crit weighted weapons to ambush, fyi.
    How so? I was under the impression that doing so not only grants me an additional chance at bypassing the critters dodge/parry, but I still get phantom crit weighting from ambushing from hiding. I would also keep my RT down by using short swords, and give myself a chance for more damage done per hit by having flaring short swords. Am I completely mistaken?

If you dislike getting your ambushes block/dodge/parried (as everyone does) you may want to look into UAC. Although it doesn't really shine for rogues until 50 when you can train off shielded brawler, it does still provide a lot of offensive benefits while working within the crush based system which is better than a katana or sword offers in terms of viability against all armor classes.

I would also reconsider your thoughts on armor training early on. Until you have the hiding/ambush/perception ranks to be consistent with your ambushing, you are inevitably going to be stuck with your dick in your hand sitting in offensive and round time after a botched ambush, and I feel that early on armor is a great way to mitigate a lot of deaths that you are going to see sitting in doubles or brig. You have a lot of frivolous points being wasted between not focusing on a particular combat style, and I think those points would be far better suited to helping you live in a heavier armor.

UAC is by far the most viable spec that has ever been available to rogues as far as offensive pressure and survivability, but if you simply don't have any interest in it I understand however I would still rethink your decision on armor training. If you do decide to go UAC send me a PM, i'd be happy to go over the very dynamic approach it has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    How so? I was under the impression that doing so not only grants me an additional chance at bypassing the critters dodge/parry, but I still get phantom crit weighting from ambushing from hiding. I would also keep my RT down by using short swords, and give myself a chance for more damage done per hit by having flaring short swords. Am I completely mistaken?
    if your shortswords are flaring, something has gone wrong, because weapons don't flare on dead critters

flares are very useful for an ambushing build just not usually on the <ambush> command, especially if you use hamstring (since you can prone something in 3 seconds vs 9 seconds) or spunch (since it's so cheap and nothing can defend against it)
    Discord: Ondreian#3875

I have turned PMs off on these forums, if you want to chat, use Discord to contact me.

knifty

Although hamstring is a better alternative to legging at 9 seconds, it's still just polishing the turd which is the spec. I suppose you can do as much song and dance with cmans as you like if you enjoy it. I gauge hunting viability based on the number of seconds it takes to kill a critter and the degree of punishment you can avoid/mitigate when things ultimately go wrong. Consistency balanced with contingency, and hunting with cmans is not sustainable under that model. I use stamina for surge, shadow mastery, and the remaining pool for vanishes as necessary.