Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardcore Mode Gemstone - We the players!

Default Hardcore Mode Gemstone - We the players!

So, a few of us have been in discussion about a Hardcore/Ironman mode playing type, and while obviously this will likely never get done mechanically thru Simu, we kept discussing it as a possible option for us to get involved in and follow guidelines set by us on our own will.

I'm curious as to what the consensus would be on such a typical mode, and what you'd see or prefer to see guideline/rule wise that would be set to follow.

There are a few gray lines we come across, things such as using the Simucoin store for example or not and I wanted to hear more input from a larger population instead of just our small chat group.

As of now, we personally feel that such a mode should be included to things like

1) Permadeath - This one is an obvious, since typically games with that mode are what it's all about

2) Item usage - We wanted it to be so that we can't just twink out our Hardcore guys with gear on our alts, or otherwise given to use. Some tossed back and forth the idea of only using gear we would find in the wilds, while others mentioned we could use gear we ourselves would purchase with saved coins, raffle wins etc.

3) Spells - We all agreed on the fact that no outside spells from others should be cast on the characters. This does not include scrolls or imbeds however, since one needs to train in those skills to use such things, we thought that ojnly made sense to be able to use imbeds and scrolls. Just not being able to receive spells from outsiders. (This can prove to be difficult though as sometimes players will just automatically cast spells on others with no question, so that's another gray area)

4) Boosts - This rule would similar follow the item usage rule, since obviously boosts are gained by our characters.

Obviously there is/would be more to things but that's the jist of it all for the time being.

I'm mostly curious as to what others views on such a thing would be, and suggestions or things they personally feel would apply to such a thing.

Obviously this sort of "mode" would be purely for fun, and obviously not everyone would either a) enjoy it or b) be honest about following the guidelines, since let's face it, people lie or bend rules all the time.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

2. Default

It's a neat idea. I'm not personally a fan of hardcore modes on games most of the time, but with Gemstone, I think you might be reaching. There are too many deaths that are instant and purely RNG where no amount of skill will save you. It kind of defeats the purpose of hardcore mode.

Edit to add: And on the other side of the coin, with pretty basic preparation, everything that -isn't- a guaranteed autokill is pretty easily survivable with a minimum level of skill and a single Dreavening. There's not really a lot of in between for hardcore mode to be super rewarding. If you could find a way to keep it challenging and skill based though somehow, taking out the RNG factors that would end it without input, you might have somethin' neat.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 07-19-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    It's a neat idea. I'm not personally a fan of hardcore modes on games most of the time, but with Gemstone, I think you might be reaching. There are too many deaths that are instant and purely RNG where no amount of skill will save you. It kind of defeats the purpose of hardcore mode.

Edit to add: And on the other side of the coin, with pretty basic preparation, everything that -isn't- a guaranteed autokill is pretty easily survivable with a minimum level of skill and a single Dreavening. There's not really a lot of in between for hardcore mode to be super rewarding. If you could find a way to keep it challenging and skill based though somehow, taking out the RNG factors that would end it without input, you might have somethin' neat.
    I was always a fan of Hardcore mode in games, especially for example Diablo.

Hardcore mode was never intended to be super rewarding for players, except for the fact that staying alive was the reward in itself, as most Hardcore players will agree with me when I say I don't play hardcore for the rewards, but the challenges it faces.

You should have seen me do my livestream even with Firaxis and X-Com when the new game came out, and Impossible Ironman existed. People would flock to watch it, as most hardcore players are another breed.

Clearly this game is it's cheap deaths, but so does every other game. Hardcore players know that going into it, some don't fully grasp it but most do. Even in Diablo, you have your cheap deaths and risks such as a simple internet timeout, power loss etc. Those things are unavoidable yes, but to some are part of the fun.

Nothing is more enjoyable than playing a Hardcore character knowing any step could be your last, but also climbing the ranks to reach some pretty high levels or do some amazing things. Hardcore in itself is the draw to most, not the "Rewards". Plus you wouldn't be able to use the Dreavenings, no outside spells fool!

4. Default

Sure, I understand. I just don't think Gemstone is really conducive to a hardcore environment, unless of course you found some really odd guidelines for everyone participating in it to follow. You can't set Gemstone on impossible level really. It's either autopilot-easy or instant death, with very little in between. Do everything right and you're basically just grinding and waiting for the first time something rolls a 170 on Earthen Fury or you accidentally walk into a room the same second a roa'ter burrows.

If you can come up with a ruleset that provides the challenge, then I think you'll have success. I think it's just going to be difficult to come up with that ruleset.

Edit to add: Maybe you could restrict it to a list of areas to hunt that are generally more difficult, for one. Force everyone into River's rest to hunt or somesuch.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 07-19-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Blog Entries

The ease of deaths combined with GS' time-to-level don't really sound appealing to me. Catch an open roll boil from an arch wight and you've just lost about a week of playing.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

It would be a good game to play with some close friends whom you trust not to cheat... who gets the highest level in hardcore mode on a F2P account.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    who gets the highest level in hardcore mode on a F2P account.
    Whoever plays the paladin wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerit View Post
    Whoever plays the paladin wins.
    Empath would be the easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by peam View Post
    Empath would be the easiest.
    I suppose if the "hardcore" mechanics allow sitting in town healing.

10. Default

1) Permadeath - This one is an obvious, since typically games with that mode are what it's all about

That one would suck because of some of the maneuvers and spells mobs have you could never hunt half the stuff on the game in fear of getting insta-killed.