Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official: Policy 16 Update

Default Official: Policy 16 Update

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrom

A quick one line has been added to POLICY 16.

- Circumventing a decision made by a GameMaster by "shopping" around.

Wyrom, PM
    This message was originally posted in Help for Players, Policy Discussions. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/19/210/2230/view/335

>policy 16

GemStone IV Player Policy: Quests And Special Events

Quests and special events may happen at any time. Simutronics is not required to give warning that a quest will be run. Some quests are announced ahead of time, while others are run spontaneously. The intent is to involve characters and players in a living story, much as they would if the world was real and the character was truly living and breathing within.

Because of this, quests and special events have inherent dangers in them over and above the normal dangers to your character while playing GemStone IV. This could mean the death of your character, the loss of inventory, the threat of kidnapping or capture, and many other possibilities due to choices your character, someone elses character or even a staff NPC makes. Not every quest or event will end up working out in your favor, so be careful with choices and actions with your character, as they will have repercussions, both good and bad.

You have the option of choosing not to participate in an ongoing quest, by typing ASSIST and requesting that you be removed from the quest. This must be done as soon as you are aware that there is a quest in progress. Once you have become involved, it is up to the GameMaster running the quest as to whether your request to be removed should be honored.

Some quests and special events have a limited capacity. For these limited space quests and events, not everyone who shows up will be able to participate. Most quests and events will be run again at a later date, but there is no guarantee of the frequency of these quests, or that any particular player will be able to participate in any of them.

If you participate in a quest, please do not discuss the details of the puzzles with other players, because this can decrease their own enjoyment of it when their turn comes around. Also, please do not broadcast puzzle solutions or other spoilers over general means of communication, such as the ESP network, or the public Message Board topics.

Awards may be given out at the end of quests and other events, but participation in an event does not guarantee an award. Even though a player may have contributed to the solution of a puzzle, or role-played well, their actions at those times may not be monitored. Simutronics is not required to monitor all quest participants.

Quest and/or event participants who are being disruptive may be removed from the quest at the discretion of the GM running the event and will not be eligible for any refunds. Examples of disruptive behavior in addition to the normal disruption definition are:
    - Making disparaging comments about the quest or the people involved.
    - Actively thwarting the progress of other participants.
    - Circumventing a decision made by a GameMaster by "shopping" around.
    - Players who have participated in a quest before or by players who have received puzzle solutions from other participants who lessen the enjoyment of other players who wish to discover the solutions for themselves (Such as solving the quest or giving out answers just to get to the next step).

Apparently it's against policy now to ask for an alteration more than once. Prepare for your warning & ban because you get a merchant who doesn't understand the rules, so you ask someone else.
    Last edited by SashaFierce; 07-18-2017 at 04:41 PM.

This does not have anything to do with asking for an alteration more than once because you think the merchant doesn't understand the rules. This is skillfully trying to circumvent the system and borderline GMA.

I have found that if you explain your opinion as to why something is okay merchants rarely get upset, they may not agree and may not create the alter, but its rarely an issue. If on the other hand you try to badger and whine your way into things that are well past the borderline I can see this rule being necessary, and yes wheedling, whining and even threatening does happen to merchants.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrom View Post
    This does not have anything to do with asking for an alteration more than once because you think the merchant doesn't understand the rules. This is skillfully trying to circumvent the system and borderline GMA.
    You have to shop around when one merchant interprets the rules differently than another. If they were consistent in their implementation these kinds of policies wouldn't be needed. It can be especially frustrating when trying to work with rare materials.

I'll use veniom as an example. I've spoke with you via PM about the material, and you've stated what is allowed, yet when you ask a merchant for what you say is allowed, they'll deny the request. So you have to ask the next person.

The policy update reads as if you're going to receive a warning now if GM A declines the alteration and then you ask GM B for it. Half of the time they don't even tell you why it's being denied. They certainly don't tell you not to ask anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardwen View Post
    I have found that if you explain your opinion as to why something is okay merchants rarely get upset, they may not agree and may not create the alter, but its rarely an issue. If on the other hand you try to badger and whine your way into things that are well past the borderline I can see this rule being necessary, and yes wheedling, whining and even threatening does happen to merchants.
    Yeah, I don't badger a merchant, just move on to your next idea and ask someone else. I mean, oops, no, don't ask someone else, or you'll get banned!!! Seems a bit overboard for something as harmless as asking for an alteration.

Blog Entries

Do GMs tell you explicitly why they turned down your alteration request? If not, I think it's fair to get an OOC whisper explaining why they won't perform the alter (policy X or My character thinks that's gross) if we are facing the potential of a ban for seeking the work done elsewhere.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

It has to be tough to be in the GMs position with so many different materials, descriptors, adjectives, and the way players will always push the boundaries.

With what Wyrom said though I don't think this update is specifically about alters.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    It has to be tough to be in the GMs position with so many different materials, descriptors, adjectives, and the way players will always push the boundaries.

With what Wyrom said though I don't think this update is specifically about alters.
    What besides alters do people "shop" around for?
    Last edited by SashaFierce; 07-18-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Why don't GM's come up with a list: Things I'm comfortable working on, or Things I'm NOT comfortable working on. Whichever is shorter. Let's take veniom in this case. If veniom is on the list, you can ask. If it's not, don't ask, and wait for the next merchant that has it on their list. I would imagine a list of all materials with checkboxes could be generated for GM's to check off and thus their sign can be created and posted every time they do work.

Some do have lists they work on, and many have lists of things they wont do, a ton of don't do dresses for instance.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by SashaFierce View Post
    What besides alters do people "shop" around for?
    All I'm saying is I'd take him for his word. His post in this thread says its not about alters.