Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Season 7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlaar View Post
    I'm just saying that killing The Mad King was probably the only actual seemingly "good" and selfless thing I can think of him having done.
    He saved Brienne from the bear, prevented her from being raped, gave her his sword and sends her and Podrick to find and protect Sansa. He's stood up for Tyrion multiple times.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    He saved Brienne from the bear, prevented her from being raped, gave her his sword and sends her and Podrick to find and protect Sansa. He's stood up for Tyrion multiple times.
    Doing something to assuage personal guilt after doing horrendous things isn't what I would call good or selfless.

Though I guess that simply leads me to the thought that we don't really know what The Mad King had made Jaime do in his name already. So killing him could have just been more of the same.
    Last edited by Tenlaar; 08-07-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlaar View Post
    Doing something to assuage personal guilt after doing horrendous things isn't what I would call good or selfless.
    The dude jumped into a pit to fight a bear... bear-handed. That takes a lot of guts, and isn't something a guy who pushes kids out of windows does. My point is that he's changed.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

I'm pretty sure that Jaime's transformation was what the author was trying to impart when he wrote the original books (which maybe not many of you had read?). It all started when he become the commander of the kingsguard. He was changed reading through the histories of the former commanders, and felt entirely inadequate for the role.

He's done a pretty shitty job of being on the kingsguard. Four dead kings under his watch. Two of them while he was commander.
    Last edited by Maerit; 08-07-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Nobody is denying Jaime has changed over the course of seven seasons; static characters are uninteresting to watch. But he is most definitely not a good guy. He's one of those characters who, when faced with a moral quandary, do the right thing or do the easy thing, will leave we the viewers never quite sure which choice he will make.
    Last edited by Tisket; 08-07-2017 at 02:03 PM.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    Nobody is denying Jaime has changed over the course of seven seasons; static characters are uninteresting to watch. But he is most definitely not a good guy. He's one of those characters who, when faced with a moral quandary, do the right thing or do the easy thing, will leave we the viewers never quite sure which choice he will make.
    I'm not sure that's quite true. He seems to always try and do the right thing, unless the right thing puts his family at risk. He's more than happy to throw himself into the thick of the worst situation ever, if that's the right thing to do. Tackle a bear to rescue an ally, charge at a dragon to save his men's life, and many other difficult things as long as they're right and not in direct opposition to his family's well-being.
    Last edited by Maerit; 08-07-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maerit View Post
    I'm not sure that's quite true. He seems to always try and do the right thing, unless the right thing puts his family at risk. He's more than happy to throw himself into the thick of the worst situation ever, if that's the right thing to do. Tackle a bear to rescue an ally, charge at a dragon to save his men's life, and many other difficult things as long as they're right and not in direct opposition to his family's well-being.
    Protecting his family isn't selfless. And he isn't always trying to do the right thing. Hell, he raped his sister next to the body of their son not that long ago. And didn't he cruelly kill his own cousin to escape Rob's camp? So much for family loyalty.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Blog Entries

Anyway, I think there needs to be a scene that portrays his remorse or regret for past deeds before I will be willing to consider Jaime a redeemed character.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    Hell, he raped his sister next to the body of their son not that long ago.
    It's different in the book, and GRRM and the directors/actors said that a rape wasn't what they were going for.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/why-we-...never-happened
    Last edited by Taernath; 08-07-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    It's different in the book, and GRRM and the directors/actors said that a rape wasn't what they were going for.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/why-we-...never-happened
    I'm sorry but weren't we talking about the television series? The two mediums have differed on significant points for a while now.