Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-L20 Stat/Skill Checkin - TWC Half-Krolvin Bard

1. Default

I checked Whirlin's Bard guide, as I remembered some DS calculations there that were broken down by build.

https://gswiki.play.net/Guides_by_Wh...pon_Bard_Guide

Polearm seems to have worse DS than TWC, though I'm not sure if this is taking into account whatever bonus a main gauche in the off-hand has.

I think I'm going to stick it out with the TWC OHB for now, as it fits my character fairly well. If it becomes really dire later on, I can burn my free FIXSKILLS to go OHB/shield.

I still have to decide whether to focus on Air lore or Telepathy lore, though, and whether to try to fit in some MMC ranks at some point. I admit I'd never considered using Song of Unravelling.

As to Climbing/Swimming - I know 10 ranks or so of each are usually suggested, though I can't think of any hunting grounds I usually frequent under L30 where a Climb/Swim check is required. I was considering picking up ranks on an as-needed basis.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LivderaDeralleur View Post
    I checked Whirlin's Bard guide, as I remembered some DS calculations there that were broken down by build.

https://gswiki.play.net/Guides_by_Wh...pon_Bard_Guide

Polearm seems to have worse DS than TWC, though I'm not sure if this is taking into account whatever bonus a main gauche in the off-hand has.

I think I'm going to stick it out with the TWC OHB for now, as it fits my character fairly well. If it becomes really dire later on, I can burn my free FIXSKILLS to go OHB/shield.

I still have to decide whether to focus on Air lore or Telepathy lore, though, and whether to try to fit in some MMC ranks at some point. I admit I'd never considered using Song of Unravelling.

As to Climbing/Swimming - I know 10 ranks or so of each are usually suggested, though I can't think of any hunting grounds I usually frequent under L30 where a Climb/Swim check is required. I was considering picking up ranks on an as-needed basis.
    For me even as sword and board and my TWC build wasn't too bad I focused on air lore using quick weapons for the potential double flares. 50 of climbing and swimming is suggested at cap and I think that's where whirlin was saying you haven't made any allocation for it yet. I think you can get by with a minimum of 25 each but it's been almost 10 years since I've played and I'm not sure how much that's changed. I'll just shut up. Not sure if I even know what the hell I'm talking about anymore.

Climb/Swim is entirely dependent on where you hunt. I have a warmage in the 60s that has 10 ranks in climb / perception and 20 in swimming, and he just hunts out on Teras where you don't need any points at that level. My 90s sorcerer has to have 60+ ranks in swimming to get to Nelemar reliably, and around 50 ranks previously to get into the Stronghold.

Climb/Swim really only matter when you're looking at hunting grounds at 70+. There's plenty of places you can go to hunt before then that doesn't rely on these stats. Plus, they're really cheap enhancives. You could probably get to 35 ranks in climb/swim relatively cheap from enhancives. Then you can also be in GoS and get Sigil of Resolve. After all, GoS is a great society for a physical bard. It will also help mitigate some of the defensive problems by giving you free HCP that stacks with any additional padding from other armor, or adds padding to your sonic armor.

I play a giantman bard, and my biggest regret about my initial stat placement was putting logic so low. That stat grows so painfully slowly, and combined with the negative racial bonus I was feeling the pain every single pulse. It doesn't matter much for survivability, but is huge in terms of quality of life.

You may also want to fool around with a stat calculator to look for little niggles that can get you a free stat point here and there (the most common trick: If you start a stat at one less than a multiple of its growth interval, it'll grow twice in a row early on, meaning that you essentially catch up for free. In your case, you can drop both Wisdom and Discipline by a point and get it back by level 4

Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    I wish Bards can use instruments as weapons, almost like a runestaff. What about ranged using bows? pew pew?
    You swing a flaming guitar at a greater construct!
    AS: +524 vs DS: +194 with AvD: +7 + d100 roll: +91 = +428
    ... and hit for 61 points of damage!
    Whoosh! Several ribs driven into lungs.
    The shimmering gold aura surrounding the greater construct flickers momentarily.

** Your flaming guitar unleashes a blast of sonic energy at a greater construct! **
    ... 15 points of damage!
    Nice blow to left leg!

** With a loud snap, a blast of energy bursts from your flaming guitar! **
    ... 60 points of damage!
    Strike to abdomen ruptures internal organs!
    Roundtime: 4 sec.
    Roundtime changed to 1 second.
    Make Shattered a $5 stand-alone subscription!

[Shattered]-GSF:Wiggles: "How come all the groups that make enemies with Ifor end up quitting Shattered once he decides to eliminate them? I'm not saying he's a secret GM, but if he was a secret GM...."

That is awesome

7. Default

Alright. I hit L19 this morning. I used one of the free Fixstats a level or two ago to see if I could get away with less tanking of Intuition. I lost a couple AS points and I think a single mana point and a few less training points, but I seem to be doing alright otherwise. (An added bonus is that I no longer have any negative stat modifiers.)

I really could use some opinions on the Stat placement, please and thanks.

I am still sticking with the TWC OHB for now. If it starts to get stale, I can Ficskills her to use OHB/Shield. But for now it's fun.

Level 0 Stats for XX, Half-Krolvin Bard
    Strength (STR): 70
    Constitution (CON): 60
    Dexterity (DEX): 60
    Agility (AGI): 80
    Discipline (DIS): 60
    Aura (AUR): 70
    Logic (LOG): 70
    Intuition (INT): 50
    Wisdom (WIS): 60
    Influence (INF): 80

Name: XX Race: Half-Krolvin Profession: Bard (not shown)
    Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
    Strength (STR): 79 (24) ... 79 (24)
    Constitution (CON): 69 (19) ... 69 (19)
    Dexterity (DEX): 69 (9) ... 69 (9)
    Agility (AGI): 86 (23) ... 86 (23)
    Discipline (DIS): 64 (7) ... 64 (7)
    Aura (AUR): 76 (13) ... 76 (13)
    Logic (LOG): 73 (1) ... 73 (1)
    Intuition (INT): 56 (3) ... 56 (3)
    Wisdom (WIS): 66 (3) ... 66 (3)
    Influence (INF): 88 (14) ... 88 (14)
    Mana: 62 Silver: 0

XX (at level 19), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Two Weapon Combat..................| 140 40
    Armor Use..........................| 99 23
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 90 20
    Blunt Weapons......................| 140 40
    Physical Fitness...................| 90 20
    Dodging............................| 90 20
    Harness Power......................| 86 19
    Perception.........................| 90 20
    Climbing...........................| 25 5
    Swimming...........................| 10 2
    Spell Lists
    Minor Elemental....................| 7
    Spell Lists
    Bard...............................| 13
    Training Points: 0 Phy 1 Mnt (78 Mnt converted to Phy)
    (Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)
    289 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2018.
    Your 30 day migration period will begin when you choose to degrade a skill.
    Further information can be found in SKILL FAQS.

It depends on what you want to do with your stats. Do you care about maximum stats at 100? Also, why do you care about your INT stat not being real low?

If you want to place for maximum at 100:
    Strength (STR): 58 (will be 100 at 99th level)
    Constitution (CON): 62 (100 at 99th)
    Dexterity (DEX): 60 (100 at 99th)
    Agility (AGI): 70 (100 at 100th)
    Discipline (DIS): 82 (100 at 96th)
    Aura (AUR): 68 (100 at 100th)
    Logic (LOG): 91 (100 at 96th)
    Intuition (INT): 38 (71 at 100th)
    Wisdom (WIS): 73 (100 at 100th)
    Influence (INF): 58 (100 at 99th)

If you want things easier on your journey to 100, you might put higher scores in strength, reflex, and dexterity. All 3 of those are important for two weapon combat. Your Aura and Influence are important for TPs, so higher scores in those will help you with the training point strain a two weapon combat bard gets put under. If you raise any scores, then I would lower DIS or INT to make up for it. You don't want to lower WIS, as that helps your TD. You could possibly lower CON, but that helps you carry more and provides some critical protection.

I would suggest setting your stats for maximum at 100 and trying to hunt. See how it affects your round time with two weapon combat. If you are happy enough with it, go for stats that will max at 100. If your round time is really bad, you need to adjust some things to up your reflex, dexterity, and possible strength (as strength affects your RT with two weapon combat depending on the weight of your off hand weapon).
    Last edited by Tenser; 08-04-2017 at 11:44 AM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
    It depends on what you want to do with your stats. Do you care about maximum stats at 100? Also, why do you care about your INT stat not being real low?

If you want to place for maximum at 100:
    Strength (STR): 58 (will be 100 at 99th level)
    Constitution (CON): 62 (100 at 99th)
    Dexterity (DEX): 60 (100 at 99th)
    Agility (AGI): 70 (100 at 100th)
    Discipline (DIS): 82 (100 at 96th)
    Aura (AUR): 68 (100 at 100th)
    Logic (LOG): 91 (100 at 96th)
    Intuition (INT): 38 (71 at 100th)
    Wisdom (WIS): 73 (100 at 100th)
    Influence (INF): 58 (100 at 99th)

If you want things easier on your journey to 100, you might put higher scores in strength, reflex, and dexterity. All 3 of those are important for two weapon combat. Your Aura and Influence are important for TPs, so higher scores in those will help you with the training point strain a two weapon combat bard gets put under. If you raise any scores, then I would lower DIS or INT to make up for it. You don't want to lower WIS, as that helps your TD. You could possibly lower CON, but that helps you carry more and provides some critical protection.

I would suggest setting your stats for maximum at 100 and trying to hunt. See how it affects your round time with two weapon combat. If you are happy enough with it, go for stats that will max at 100. If your round time is really bad, you need to adjust some things to up your reflex, dexterity, and possible strength (as strength affects your RT with two weapon combat depending on the weight of your off hand weapon).
    I usually aim for somewhere in the middle - high enough to be viable and fun at low levels, but with some room for growth.

My only reason for upping Intuition was because I originally had it tanked at 20 (see the OP) and it had a negative stat modifier even at L16/17. I believe Intuition plays into maneuver defense somewhat and I was worried that may affect me.

I may be able to drop it an extra 10 points, though, and still maintain a slightly positive modifier.

Your INT score won't make or break your ability to defend against manuevers. Keep 1x in physical training and 1x in perception and you'll be fine.