Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Random Thoughts

My random thought today...

How appropriate is it to use promotional images of Carrie Fisher?

I was watching the latest trailer for The Last Jedi and obviously, since she's in the movie, she's in the promo. Cool. However, I feel like things go weird when they splashed Billie Lourd looking pensive and then immediately Carrie's soundbyte, "It's about family." I experienced an actual pang to the chest and then waves of sadness. Star Wars pretty much permeated my entire childhood and Princess Leia was my first human hero. I mean, I know she is in the film and that she's dead and I probably just need to deal with that either way so they might as well throw it at me now.

It made me wonder if this is just my experience or if there are others that feel that this is maybe exploitative?

Give a woman a bloody mary, and she drinks for a day. Teach a woman to make a bloody mary, and she is drunk for a lifetime.
    Last edited by Back; 07-16-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Give a woman a bloody mary, and she drinks for a day. Teach a woman to make a bloody mary, and she is drunk for a lifetime.
    Be nice Back, it's tough growing up in Hollywood!

In any event, no exploit here yet, in my opinion. If they start doing endless flashbacks in future movies, I would take exception.
    everan

trouble is a friend of mine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leifastagsweed View Post

It made me wonder if this is just my experience or if there are others that feel that this is maybe exploitative?
    It definitely made me feel a little weird. We live in an age where we can turn older actors into their younger selves through special effects, and even bring long-dead actors back in a form of digital necromancy. Presumably they got permission from Fisher's estate.

Interesting article on it:
    http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/rogue...-likeness.html
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    It definitely made me feel a little weird. We live in an age where we can turn older actors into their younger selves through special effects, and even bring long-dead actors back in a form of digital necromancy. Presumably they got permission from Fisher's estate.

Interesting article on it:
    http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/rogue...-likeness.html
    I imagine they were made before she died. The movie was completely finished before she died.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leifastagsweed View Post
    My random thought today...

I was watching the latest trailer for The Last Jedi and obviously, since she's in the movie, she's in the promo. Cool. However, I feel like things go weird when they splashed Billie Lourd looking pensive and then immediately Carrie's soundbyte, "It's about family." I experienced an actual pang to the chest and then waves of sadness. Star Wars pretty much permeated my entire childhood and Princess Leia was my first human hero. I mean, I know she is in the film and that she's dead and I probably just need to deal with that either way so they might as well throw it at me now.

It was a little emotionally manipulative but, I don't think Carrie would have cared. She had a pretty good sense of humor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    It was a little emotionally manipulative but, I don't think Carrie would have cared. She had a pretty good sense of humor.
    Actually, she was pretty peeved about a lot of Star Wars related promotionals, but she most definitely had a sense of humor! Prozac, anyone? She would just publicly snark amusingly then move on...and drink a bloody mary