Thread: 6x vs 7x enchant ability

Default 6x vs 7x enchant ability

I just turned 40. I haven't even trained for the past couple levels cause I didn't know what I wanted to do yet. I'm not concerned about using 950 any time soon. I'm also not concerned about enchanting fusion any time soon. I've only ever enchanted up to 5x, and have had no issues. I'm quite sure I could do 6x, but would like to know how close I might be to doing plain vanilla 7x and if not, what level and level of wiz ranks I might need to get to in order to reliably do 7x.

My relevant skills are...

level 40
    Wiz ranks - 37
    Major elemental ranks - 23
    Minor elemental ranks - 30

I'm a bolter, and would like to start bringing up MjE and MnE to make that better and round out other stuff. If I could reliably enchant 7x at my current skills, I'll stop wiz ranks where it is and concentrate on other stuff. But if I'm on the cusp of being able to do 7x and it relies on me getting a few more wiz ranks, then I'll do that first then stop wiz ranks.

Let me know what you think. I really appreciate the help.

Stats will play a noticeable role in your success as well. Do you own any 6x gear? You can now test cast 925 at items to gauge difficulty if you were to temper it with the intent to enchant. I think you'll find you get difficult messaging on most 6x items but that is not to say you couldn't succeed. You would just suffer some temper resets and lost time. I've found that doing 5x at 30, 6x at 40, and 7x at 50 is a good estimate for my wizards. Though I've also blown up a 7x project at level 53 with 55 wizard ranks because the item had a hefty negative modifier. So between item material bonuses/penalties, your stats and usage of enhancives or daily login rewards, there's a large spread of what is easy and difficult.

In short, test cast a 6x item for 7x. Then when you see how difficult it will be go ahead and temper an item for 6x and work on that.

The old rule of the thumb for a lvl 25 pocket enchanter was 30 wiz ranks for 5x, 40 for 6x and 50 for 7x, also from experience being a workshop seems to have a massive positive influence. Workshops add a flat +20 bonus to magic item activation so maybe they also add +20 to a final enchant cast?

edit- House workshops add +20, no idea how much personal and public workshops add.
    Last edited by Winter; 06-10-2017 at 01:43 AM.

4. Default

Make sure when you do your test cast at a 6x that you're doing proper enchanting protocol, I tried testing a 6-7x just casually in town and it said 'miracle' which shocked the shit out of me. took it to a workshop and dropped 15 lbs and got out the familiar and it said 'unless you're horribly unlucky...'

big big difference

Train wizard ranks to 50 and 2x MIU/AS, use an enhancive stats boost, and for the final cast use a gift of eonak as well. You should naturally be in a workshop, be unencumbered, be full on spirit, and have your familiar present. You should be fine if you do all that, IME.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

I must be missing something, did they change enchanting the last couple of months while I was gone to make it harder? My wizard did his first 7x at 35 trains and he has never failed one. The only time he has ever missed a cast is one of the crappy 3% ones. He is classic bolt trained, 1x in wizard and MnE and just under in MjE but catching up. I have not tried any fusion or sanctified yet, mostly because I have not had a need too.

Get light, have a familiar in the room and go to a workshop.