Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMAN, Shield, and Armor - feedback requested

1. Default CMAN, Shield, and Armor - feedback requested

Hi! Below is my CMAN, Shield, and Armor training. Looking for feedback of any kind. Thanks! -LizardClan1

>cman info
    Ulaahn, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
    Specialization I wspec1 3
    Weapon Bonding bonding 5
    Combat Mobility mobility 2
    Surge of Strength surge 5
    Parry Mastery pmastery 3
    Block Mastery bmastery 3

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 3

>shield info
    Ulaahn, your Shield Specialization training is as follows:

Medium Shield Focus mfocus 3
    Deflection Training dtraining 3
    Spell Block spellblock 3

>armor info
    Ulaahn, your Armor Specialization training is as follows:

Armor Support support 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LizardClan1 View Post
    Hi! Below is my CMAN, Shield, and Armor training. Looking for feedback of any kind. Thanks! -LizardClan1

>cman info
    Ulaahn, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Specialization I wspec1 3
    Weapon Bonding bonding 5
    Combat Mobility mobility 2
    Surge of Strength surge 5
    Parry Mastery pmastery 3
    Block Mastery bmastery 3

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 3

>shield info
    Ulaahn, your Shield Specialization training is as follows:

Medium Shield Focus mfocus 3
    Deflection Training dtraining 3
    Spell Block spellblock 3

>armor info
    Ulaahn, your Armor Specialization training is as follows:

Armor Support support 5
    Do you run with strength on a lot? What race are you?
    No, I am not Drauz in game.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    Do you run with strength on a lot? What race are you?
    I hunt with cman surge up whenever I remember to do so. :-)

I am a giant.

Thanks!
    -LizardClan1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LizardClan1 View Post
    I hunt with cman surge up whenever I remember to do so. :-)

I am a giant.

Thanks!
    -LizardClan1
    Sorry, I meant 509 spell Strength.

Also, any Strength enhansives?
    Last edited by drauz; 05-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    No, I am not Drauz in game.

Lol i totally forgot about surge during duskruin and since. Thanks for the reminder about surge

Parry and block mastery are nice passive skills, but rank 3 is definitely expensive. Considering those diminishing returns, you might find a better use for those points. A few ranks of focus are nice for a warrior. I notice that you're only trained in passive skills -- you might find something active to train in for fun. I don't know anything about sword/board cmans, though -- my warrior used polearms.

I also only ever got more than rank 1 of mobility (that's the one that stands you up, right?). I found that usually when I was prone, I'd get swung at enough times for the 50% chance to kick in. But I've also met a few warriors who thought that was crazy.

I think drauz is asking about enhancives and such becuase the bonus from surge acts like any other enhancive bonus. Since you can't go past +20 bonus with enhancives, you don't need all 5 ranks if you use enough STR enhancives. That being said, STR enhancives are expensive and surge is pretty sweet, especially at rank 5 with the short cooldown.

Out of curiosity, why a medium shield? Usually warriors seem to prefer large/tower shields if they're gonna use one at all. A tower shield opens up a few maneuvers you can't get otherwise, most notably shield trample. Trample can knock down an entire room full of creatures and seems to be the most useful active shield maneuver I've seen.

I'm not really sure you need spell block either, honestly. Especially since you use a shield, I'd guess your bolt DS is high enough without having to worry about increasing your chances to block bolts.

How much shield use and dodge training do you have? Personally I found spell block excessive with 3x shield and/or spells. You will already have a bonus to block DS against bolts with a shield, however, medium shields only recieve a modest boost opposed to tower shields. This might be offset by the DS you would gain from learning shield swiftness if you have alot of Dodge training. If you find that bolts are ripping you apart when you are not blocking them then keep spell block until your base DS grows.

Quote Originally Posted by Aganii View Post
    How much shield use and dodge training do you have? Personally I found spell block excessive with 3x shield and/or spells. You will already have a bonus to block DS against bolts with a shield, however, medium shields only recieve a modest boost opposed to tower shields. This might be offset by the DS you would gain from learning shield swiftness if you have alot of Dodge training. If you find that bolts are ripping you apart when you are not blocking them then keep spell block until your base DS grows.
    Agree with the comment on spell block. It becomes redundant and a waste of points.

I also would look hard at surge and your enhancives. If you're not using much for strength enhancives, 5 ranks has some strong benefits, (faster recovery, more strength, etc), but the alternative is no ranks of surge and a handful of pretty readily attainable enhancives. I've done that with Kerl, and just maintain a single rank of surge at 2 points.

If you're using a shield, you should consider trample. I keep preaching trample, because it's pretty awesome. With trample mastery it's particularly pricey, but being able to knock down 5 foes in one 5 second maneuver is pretty nice, and because you can 3x in shield use, your success chances are higher than most other knockdowns. Also worth noting that giantkin get a bonus on trample, possibly all shield maneuvers but I'm not sure, since the only one I use is trample. Roblar and I tested it out and he was getting as much bonus as I was (human) and he was using a medium shield.

Focus kind of depends on what you are using for equipment and spells. I find that a mere +2TD isn't enough to make a difference, but +10TD starts to mean something. Unfortunately, it falls victim to cost benefit analysis for me. I think I have just 1 rank in it, because that first rank is pretty much a gimmie.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Archigeek; 05-16-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by khorpulent View Post
    I also only ever got more than rank 1 of mobility (that's the one that stands you up, right?). I found that usually when I was prone, I'd get swung at enough times for the 50% chance to kick in. But I've also met a few warriors who thought that was crazy.
    Rank 1 mobility has a 50% chance to stand you up, Rank 2 has 100%. Rank 1 vs. 2 is more if you want it to be guaranteed or not. Personally, I opt for rank 2. Dying to an unlucky streak of 50% chances not going your way isn't fun
    Last edited by Valyss; 05-16-2017 at 02:42 PM.

10. Default

Sorry, I was out of town yesterday. I'll start by sharing more information, and then I'll answer your questions (above) later today. Thanks!

>skills
    Ulaahn (at level 67), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 250 150
    Shield Use.........................| 190 90
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 238 138
    Edged Weapons......................| 238 138
    Two-Handed Weapons.................| 238 138
    Ambush.............................| 140 40
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 160 60
    Physical Fitness...................| 238 138
    Dodging............................| 169 69
    Arcane Symbols.....................| 90 20
    Harness Power......................| 20 4
    Survival...........................| 169 69
    Perception.........................| 169 69
    Climbing...........................| 140 40
    Swimming...........................| 122 31
    First Aid..........................| 169 69
    (Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

3 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2017.

Your 30 day migration period will begin when you choose to degrade a skill.

>info
    Name: Ulaahn Akbou Race: Giantman Profession: Warrior (shown as: Officer of the House of Argent Aspis)
    Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
    Strength (STR): 100 (40) ... 100 (40)
    Constitution (CON): 93 (31) ... 93 (31)
    Dexterity (DEX): 100 (20) ... 100 (20)
    Agility (AGI): 100 (20) ... 100 (20)
    Discipline (DIS): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
    Aura (AUR): 100 (20) ... 100 (20)
    Logic (LOG): 75 (7) ... 75 (7)
    Intuition (INT): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
    Wisdom (WIS): 76 (13) ... 76 (13)
    Influence (INF): 62 (11) ... 62 (11)
    Mana: 16 Silver: 0