Thread: Easy shatter targets in mid 30's?

1. Default Easy shatter targets in mid 30's?

Hey all,

I'm currently hunting my empath, who is 33 and my wizard, who is 24 together. They are both pures. Now that the empath is too old for zombies I'm having a tough time finding something easy to kill with bone shatter... Any tips? I don't use spell aim. Currently I have them hunting frost giants on the glacier, but honestly I'm not a huge fan of being out there. Sometimes I fry, sometimes I don't, frost giants are still a bit too old and its too mana intensive.

I'd prefer to be in the landing /sol / IMT at the moment due to having friends in the area. If I can't figure something out I may head to River's Rest and hunt the jungle.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Default

Skeletal giants (33 trains) would be good for that train and being skeletal, are quite susceptible to shatter (storm giants are there as well, but being around 39 trains, it might be difficult to ward them). Its a relatively safe place to hunt right near Wehnimers.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronebiggums View Post
    Skeletal giants (33 trains) would be good for that train and being skeletal, are quite susceptible to shatter (storm giants are there as well, but being around 39 trains, it might be difficult to ward them). Its a relatively safe place to hunt right near Wehnimers.
    Excellent.. thank you!

Yeah, doing the pure empath thing is tough till you hit 50 or so, especially if you don't train in spell aiming and can't use wizard wands. You might try some of the stuff out the west gate in IMT -- Tundra giants/arctic manticores might be a possibility. Skeletal ice trolls in the trench on the frozen battlefield spawn pretty regularly. Maybe rotting corpses in Varunar, if you don't mind dodging roa'ters.

It does mean a hit to your CS, but I must say I think spell aiming is worthwhile for pure empaths. I killed a lot of shit at low-mid levels casting 1110 and watching the warding cycles go by. And being able to use wizard wands when you run out of mana is pretty damn handy. That being said, I almost never use spell aiming at cap, except an occasional 111 in a troll warcamp, or 1110 against automatons in the Arena.

5. Default

Thanks for all the input guys. I went over to storm giants and skeletal giants and had a lot of success there. Ended up getting frustrated though, as my friends do Reim runs quite often and my empath just can't keep up due to mana issues. Also wanted to try the Arena but knew I'd lose out due to mana issues.

Bought a fixskill and went back to swinging a two hander. So far, I'm crushing stuff. My CS did go down a bit but I can still hit stuff with bone shatter a majority of the time. Not that I need it much swinging a big ol' claid. Now I can hunt boneless undead without issue and have success in Reim again. I may go pure again in the future, may not, but for right now I think this was the right move. Hunting is more fun again!
    Last edited by LeftBench; 04-28-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Heh, I was actually tempted to recommend you go THW, but that seemed a bit drastic. Since empaths don't have a decent 2-mana warding spell like 702/302, mana is a problem for quite a while. THW is viable all the way up to cap for empaths, but I think pure empaths tend to be more powerful (and better healers, too).

I took my empath up to about 45-50 with THW and then did a fixskills to pure and was happy with the switch. Mana was still a bit tight, but I used wizard wands to help with that. My empath is a halfling, though, so THW wasn't quite as viable in the long-term as it might be with a bigger race. I might have pushed on into my 60s with THW if I could have had more AS from a bigger strength bonus.

Have fun! Empaths are the best. And don't forget about 1117.

Varunar isn't a bad spot either, but you have to look out for Roa'ters in the outer area. I never really had much of a problem with them though. Nice thing about varunar is that there is a node closeby, and you can easily transition up to skeletal lords and horses when you get higher level.

Anything around Illistim. One of the best hunting grounds for empaths
    Last edited by Erous; 05-01-2017 at 06:34 PM.