Page 995 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 4958959459859939949959969971005104510951495 ... LastLast
Results 9,941 to 9,950 of 16728

Thread: Things that made you laugh today (Political Version)

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    The water shortage is because the pipes froze and burst. Also because electricity was cut to pumping stations so there was less pressure. When pressure is low, the water becomes non-potable (you can't drink it) because it sits more, so people without burst pipes still had to boil it first anyways. Low pressure is also bad for fighting fires, they have to bring out an additional tank truck because the hydrants have little flow. It isn't about a literal lack of water.
    Ya - understand the overall mechanical operations of it.. was trying to say I'm 50/50 on "winterization" of such systems in a climate that 99% of the time doesn't require it. I personally tend to lean towards, if you build it - build it with the thought of worse case scenario - which is what occurred. But I have no idea on infrastructure projects so large what's feasible/reasonable/etc. so that's why I'd have to educate myself better.

And Orthin understood what I meant about a water shortage - with snow on the ground (it's water) - but he makes an excellent point about the weather warming up.
    Last edited by Shaps; 02-23-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    The wind sometimes doesn't blow, so you reach the conclusion that wind turbines are overall a failure.
    Not even close to what I said. Did you get dumber in the past couple of months?

Renewable are cheap, good for the environment and beyond construction, not dependent on dwindling fuel stock.
    Oh boy! So many things wrong I barely even know where to begin!

Okay so mining iron ore out of the ground to make the steel in wind turbines = bad for the environment
    Mining iron ore out of the ground to use in wind turbines = bad for the environment
    Mining copper out of the ground to use in wind turbines = bad for the environment
    Extracting oil out of the ground to make the plastic which is used to make wind turbines = bad for the environment
    Creating the steel to use in making wind turbines = bad for the environment

And I'm not just talking about a little bit of steel or plastic; wind turbines are over 250 feet tall, the blades are over 130 feet wide, and they are made up of about 80% steel, 10% plastic, and 2% copper. That's a whole lotta bad for the environment!

You can go ahead and try to make the argument that they are BETTER for the environment than coal, and you're probably right. Better than natural gas? Meh...better than nuclear? Get the fuck outta here!

But to say that wind turbines are "good" for the environment? Again get the fuck outta here.

This is kind of embarrassing, Seran.

Oh yeah almost forgot, as far as "not dependent on dwindling fuel stock", you do know we have a finite supply of iron and copper too right? I know I know, you said "beyond construction"...you do know wind turbines only last about 20 years right? And that's assuming they don't get destroyed sooner due to really bad weather. It's not like we build a wind farm and we're set forever for "free" electricity from them.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 02-23-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Except they do.

In case you're having trouble understanding that, the windfarm was producing 11,445 megawatts before the cold weather set in, and only 550 megawatts after the cold weather hit.

Yes that's even WITH "cold weather packages" wind turbines can't operate in -22F weather. Guess how cold it got in some parts of Texas? That's right, almost -20, throw in windchill and it was colder than -20, toss in some icy rain on top of that and it means bad news for wind turbines.
    Umm the article said wind turbines can operate up to -22 F, with a cold weather package, Texas got to around -20.. so yeah they would have still been working.
    Last edited by Solkern; 02-23-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    The idiot award goes to…

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    No idea, I haven't kept up with any of that.

I'm sure it's somehow Trump's fault though. Bush too.
    Of course!
    The idiot award goes to…

The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

Blah blah blah
    Speaking of not knowing where to start. The iron and copper of those turbines has a design life of 20 years, longer with regular maintenance, all the while producing electricity at an average cost of 2 cents per kw/h. While natural gas, a limited and non-renewable energy source averages 8 cents per kw/h and is subject to wild price fluctuations dependent on wholesale fuel costs.

Going beyond that, the iron and copper of the turbines themselves are recoverable and can be reused at the end of its life cycle for a new turbine. All told, the carbon footprint of a wind turbine is 25% of a gas powered plant.

Go back to bend you damned flat earther.

The iron and copper of those turbines has a design life of 20 years
    Funny how I point this out as a con and you just claim it’s somehow a pro.

Going beyond that, the iron and copper of the turbines themselves are recoverable and can be reused at the end of its life cycle for a new turbine.
    So wind turbines are perhaps the first product thing ever produced that is 100% recyclable.

Seran, you’re wrong, again. It’s time to move on.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 02-23-2021 at 11:39 AM.

So wind turbines are perhaps the first product thing ever produced that is 100% recyclable.

I'm still laughing at the random "flat earther" insult that came out of left field.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Your ignorance, whether deliberate to try and sell a falsehood to your narrow minded followers, or incidental due to your inability to actually research the bullshit you pander, isn't an excuse for being wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    Ya - understand the overall mechanical operations of it.. was trying to say I'm 50/50 on "winterization" of such systems in a climate that 99% of the time doesn't require it. I personally tend to lean towards, if you build it - build it with the thought of worse case scenario - which is what occurred. But I have no idea on infrastructure projects so large what's feasible/reasonable/etc. so that's why I'd have to educate myself better.

And Orthin understood what I meant about a water shortage - with snow on the ground (it's water) - but he makes an excellent point about the weather warming up.
    You still have to boil that water to drink it, because snow is dirty as fuck. If you have an electric stove and the power is out, you have no water regardless.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    You still have to boil that water to drink it, because snow is dirty as fuck. If you have an electric stove and the power is out, you have no water regardless.
    True, true. City folk are in a bad spot that way. Why I live close to trees and natural water sources, but I'm a bit overly cautious.