Page 88 of 1640 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990981381885881088 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that made you laugh today (Political Version)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Have any of you guys actually read about or seen and heard what these people were saying at those rallies?
    So? Are they breaking any laws? This country is built on certain freedoms, such as speech. You may not agree with it, but it is their right. Trying to shut up people because you disagree with them has got to be one of the most UnAmerican things you can do.

Blog Entries

You are the guy who jumps to their defense talking about freedom of speech. I pretty much thought it was a foregone conclusion that what they preach is considered hate speech.
    Correct, and anyone elses. I can mock what they say but I will always defend their right to say it.

That is how it is supposed to work.

For what I've read and seen they were chanting, "Blood and Soil", " You will not replace us", and "white lives matter". How is any of that hate speech as defined by the law? I will agree with you that its a super shitty thing, but until they advocate violence its not criminal.

Blog Entries

As PB already said this quote beautifully explains my position.

" America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, 'You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.' You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the land of the free."

Michael Douglas in American President

Blog Entries

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Some English woman from the 1800s knows more about Freedom of Speech than Back does.

Hate speech isn't protected. Check out that Vice video. You'll see what they were really saying.

Blog Entries

Hate speech isn't protected. Check out that Vice video. You'll see what they were really saying.
    Gee, why aren't they all being arrested? No charges? Oh, because you're full of shit.

Hate speech is protected. That is why Westboro continues to operate.

Blog Entries

In June 2017, the Supreme Court affirmed in an unanimous decision on Matal v. Tam that the disparagement clause of the Lanham Act violates the First Amendment's free speech clause. The issue was about government prohibiting the registration of trademarks that are "racially disparaging". Justice Samuel Alito writes:

Speech that demeans on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, disability, or any other similar ground is hateful; but the proudest boast of our free speech jurisprudence is that we protect the freedom to express “the thought that we hate.” United States v. Schwimmer, 279 U. S. 644, 655 (1929) (Holmes, J., dissenting).[93]

Justice Anthony Kennedy also writes:

A law that can be directed against speech found offensive to some portion of the public can be turned against minority and dissenting views to the detriment of all. The First Amendment does not entrust that power to the government’s benevolence. Instead, our reliance must be on the substantial safeguards of free and open discussion in a democratic society.[93]

Effectively, the Supreme Court unanimously reaffirms that there is no 'hate speech' exception to the First Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Sure. You're right, I associate myself with myself. Glad to see you finally realize this after 7 years. Wow I was just kidding when I said you were calling me a Nazi, but here you are. So Tgo01, the person who almost always takes Israel's side in things, is a Nazi. Fantastic work, Latrin. Fantastic. This is like when those radical leftists literally refer to a Jew as a Nazi.
    It's too bad you've honed your persecution complex to such a razor edge. Oh well. For the record I said you associate with Nazis. This was so terrifying for you that you were literally incapable of reading it, and so invented a fake narrative where you were literally being called a literal Nazi. It's okay. Like I said, I didn't expect you to be able to take this learning opportunity anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by drauz
    For what I've read and seen they were chanting, "Blood and Soil", " You will not replace us", and "white lives matter". How is any of that hate speech as defined by the law? I will agree with you that its a super shitty thing, but until they advocate violence its not criminal.
    Laws that forbid the advocacy of violence in and of itself are unconstitutional. "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action" is the test. Let me know if you want to dismiss another inarguable example of your ignorance as condescension on my part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit
    No matter what he said or did, it still wouldn't be enough for some fringies like yourself. Trump can absolutely do no right in your mind.
    Fringies like Pin, Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, Bernie Sanders, Hilary Clinton... huh. It's almost like the overwhelming majority are the ones criticizing the President in this case. Huh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Methais
    Know what Trump should have said?
    "That's the end of my speech on infrastructure, no questions, God bless America."
    State loyalty > federal loyalty back then. That applied to pretty much everyone during that time. Perhaps if you picked up a book now and then you'd learn something. But first you'd have to accept the fact that facts won't always agree with your precious feelings.
    Article 3 Section 3 and Article 6 of the United States Constitution. Thanks for playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston
    Prior to the civil war, in many places, loyalty was to state before country. Lee went with Virginia. If he had gone with the North he'd be called a traitor to his state. He really couldn't win.
    He could win by not committing treason.

It's pretty simple.

Someone asks you to take up arms against your country, you say no.

Congrats! You didn't commit treason!
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

9. Default

This is the United States, not Canada.

Have any of you guys actually read about or seen and heard what these people were saying at those rallies?
    Who gives a flying fuck?

Black supremacists give speeches all the time about how backwards and inferior whites are. You don't see me showing up to their rallies with baseball bats.

Feminists give speeches all the time about how all men are rapists and we need to outlaw being male, you don't see me showing up their rallies with pepper spray.

Do what most rational adults do; laugh at them on the internet and move on with your life.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 08-16-2017 at 09:30 PM.