Page 77 of 1666 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879871271775771077 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that made you laugh today (Political Version)

Quote Originally Posted by Pin View Post
    I wouldn't say we pretend they don't exist, but, we do seem to have a problem where we rationalize their behavior instead of calling it what it is.
    Who is rationalizing their behavior? Other than the racists themselves?

The only rationalizing I see these days is people thinking it's okay to punch someone you disagree with. Oh wait, no, it's only okay to punch a Nazi. Black supremacists are still off limits for some reason.

I'm not even trying to insinuate that he should have monuments erected to him, or that he is some sort of noble symbol we should all aspire too.
    No, but you are trying to insinuate that he shouldn't be lumped in with other racists, as if him being a slightly more palatable kind of racist makes him different. It doesn't. It was a statue of a traitor to the United States who believed black people were better off enslaved, and it was erected at a time when the state was making purposeful steps to keep black people from attaining more civil rights and to keep segregation the rule of the land. Any attempt to argue that it isn't a symbol of racism is, frankly, pretty ridiculous.
    Last edited by Tenlaar; 08-16-2017 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    Should Thomas Jefferson and George Washington be on our money then?
    I don't personally believe that they should be, no. Nor anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlaar View Post
    No, but you are trying to insinuate that he shouldn't be lumped in with other racists, as if him being a slightly more palatable kind of racist makes him different. It doesn't. It was a statue of a traitor to the United States who believed black people were better off enslaved, and it was erected at a time when the state was making purposeful steps to keep black people from attaining more civil rights and to keep segregation the rule of the land. Any attempt to argue that it isn't a symbol of racism is, frankly, ridiculous.
    I'm not arguing that. I'm saying that the man during his life was pretty progressive for his time, even though he would be considered racist today if he held the same views. I agree with you about his statues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Trump: [Inaudible.] You have some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group — excuse me, excuse me — I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlaar View Post
    I don't personally believe that they should be, no. Nor anybody else.
    Fair enough.

Trump: [Inaudible.] You have some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group — excuse me, excuse me — I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.
    How is that rationalizing racists? He specifically calls the racists "very bad people."

It's possible to be against the removal of a statue and the renaming of a park without be a card carrying KKK member.

Blog Entries

to the conversation

How is that rationalizing racists? He specifically calls the racists "very bad people."

It's possible to be against the removal of a statue and the renaming of a park without be a card carrying KKK member.
    Sure, if you ignore the fact that they marched there carrying torches, carrying the nazi flag, while chanting racial and anti-semetic phrases while giving the nazi salute and saying 'hail victory' (sieg hiel in English).

Oh, but all of that is ok because there were 'bad people on both sides.'

What was it you said?

I think you just called Trump a racist Tgo.
    Last edited by Pin; 08-16-2017 at 03:15 AM.

Blog Entries

I think money should only have Emperor Gelston on them. One day, it will.