Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyranny of the ATF

Default Tyranny of the ATF

New rule and definition of who is a firearms dealer was published yesterday. It’s purposely ambiguous, but selling your own personal property to a private individual without a license could and may very well be considered a felony & land you in federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison. This will also lead us to a national gun registry as it’s the only real way they can enforce this law.

I’m writing letters to my State representative & Senator (fuck you John Cornyn you treacherous rhino SOB).

https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/justice-...iness-firearms

Justice Department Proposes New Regulation to Update Definition of “Engaged in the Business” as a Firearms Dealer
    Proposed Rule Seeks to Implement Provisions of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act and Provide Clarity on Who Must Obtain a License and Run Background Checks
    WASHINGTON – The Justice Department today announced it has submitted to the Federal Register a notice of proposed rulemaking that would clarify the circumstances in which a person is “engaged in the business” of dealing in firearms and thus required to obtain a license and run background checks. The Bipartisan Safer Communities Act (BSCA), enacted June 25, 2022, expanded the definition of engaging in the business of firearms dealing to cover all persons who devote time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business to predominately earn a profit through the repetitive purchase and sale of firearms. On March 14, President Biden issued Executive Order 14092, which, among other things, directs the Attorney General to develop and implement a plan to clarify the definition of who is engaged in the business of dealing in firearms and thus required to obtain a federal firearms license. Today’s proposed rule would amend the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) regulations by, among other things, conforming ATF’s regulations to the new BSCA definition and further clarifying the conduct that presumptively requires a license under that revised definition.

“The Bipartisan Safer Communities Act was passed by Congress to reduce gun violence, including by expanding the background checks that keep guns out of the hands of criminals,” said Attorney General Merrick B. Garland. “This proposed rule implements Congress’s mandate to expand the definition of who must obtain a license and conduct a background check before selling firearms.”

“An increasing number of individuals engaged in the business of selling firearms for profit have chosen not to register as federal firearms licensees, as required by law,” said ATF Director Steven Dettelbach. “Instead, they have sought to make money through the off-book, illicit sale of firearms. These activities undermine the law, endanger public safety, create significant burdens on law enforcement, and are unfair to the many licensed dealers who make considerable efforts to follow the law. The Gun Control Act’s exceptions to the license requirement exist to allow all law-abiding Americans to exercise their Second Amendment rights – not to facilitate the intentional evasion of the background-check system. This new proposed rule would clarify the circumstances in which a person is ‘engaged in the business’ of dealing in firearms, and thus required to obtain a license and follow the laws Congress has established for firearms dealers.”

Federally licensed firearms dealers are critical partners to federal, state, local, Tribal, and territorial law enforcement in our shared goal of promoting public safety. They help keep firearms out of the hands of prohibited persons by running background checks on potential purchasers; ensure that crime guns can be traced back to their first retail purchaser by keeping records of transactions; and facilitate safe storage of firearms by providing child-safety locks with every transferred handgun and offering customers other secure gun storage options. Unlicensed dealing, however, undermines these public-safety features – which is why Congress has long prohibited engaging in the business of dealing in firearms without the required license.

To increase compliance with the statutes Congress has enacted, the proposed rule identifies examples of conduct that would, in certain circumstances, be presumed to qualify as engaging in the business of dealing in firearms and thus to require a federal firearms license. And, in addition to implementing the revised statutory definition discussed above, the proposed rule would help to clarify the circumstances in which a license is (or is not) required by, among other things, adding a definition of “personal firearms collection” to ensure that genuine hobbyists and collectors may enhance and liquidate their collections without fear of violating the law. The proposed rule would also provide valuable guidance to the community of federal firearms licensees by addressing the lawful ways in which former licensees may liquidate business inventory upon termination of their license and clarifying how a licensee can lawfully transfer a firearm to another licensee.

Once the proposed rule is published in the Federal Register, the public will have 90 days to submit comments. The notice of proposed rulemaking submitted by the Department can be viewed on the Definition of “Engaged in the Business” as a Dealer in Firearms webpage.

Learn more about the rulemaking process.

###
    Last edited by Suppressed Poet; 09-01-2023 at 10:22 AM.

You think it's all a joke... until it's to late.

Look at what's happened in just 10 years... give it another 10.

The "Rights" enshrined in our Founding documents no longer matter... those in power have already decided that... and they've gotten people to give up those rights, based upon their "feelings".

What's hilarious is, the same insane Leftists that support this type of shit... think they're immune from it... not understanding they're just idiot pawns that will suffer along with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    You think it's all a joke... until it's to late.

Look at what's happened in just 10 years... give it another 10.

The "Rights" enshrined in our Founding documents no longer matter... those in power have already decided that... and they've gotten people to give up those rights, based upon their "feelings".

What's hilarious is, the same insane Leftists that support this type of shit... think they're immune from it... not understanding they're just idiot pawns that will suffer along with the rest.
    Yep.

The Islamic Republic of Iran & People’s Republic of China have written in their constitution guarantees of freedom of assembly, speech, religion, press, and petitioning of the government very similarly to our first amendment. You know what right they don’t have in their constitution though? Take a wild guess.
    Last edited by Suppressed Poet; 09-01-2023 at 11:34 AM.

I saw the headline and thought it said "Tranny at the ATF" and was not shocked at all.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    New rule and definition of who is a firearms dealer was published yesterday. It’s purposely ambiguous, but selling your own personal property to a private individual without a license could and may very well be considered a felony & land you in federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison. This will also lead us to a national gun registry as it’s the only real way they can enforce this law.

I’m writing letters to my State representative & Senator (fuck you John Cornyn you treacherous rhino SOB).

https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/justice-...iness-firearms
    It's almost as if the government of the United States is looking to enforce the laws that it passes. Shocker!

New rule and definition of who is a firearms dealer was published yesterday. It’s purposely ambiguous, but selling your own personal property to a private individual without a license could and may very well be considered a felony & land you in federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison.

The proposed new definition of "dealer" is quoted below. I don't know enough about the business of being a gun dealer to recognize the problem areas in the definition. What part of it is ambiguous? It seems unambiguously comprehensive. In addition to writing to your member of Congress, shouldn't you write to the ATF during the 90-day comment period, as they requested, so that they can address any problems with the proposed rule before it is finalized?

Dealer. Any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail; any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms; or any person who is a pawnbroker. The term shall include any person who engages in such business or occupation on a part-time basis. The term shall include such activities wherever, or through whatever medium, they may be conducted, such as at a gun show or event, flea market, auction house, or gun range or club; at one’s home; by mail order; over the Internet; through the use of other electronic means (e.g., an online broker, online auction, text messaging service, social media raffle, or website); or at any other domestic or international public or private marketplace or premises.

More...
    There's a separate too-long-to-quote definition of "engaged in the business." It all starts on page 96 of the above linked document.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    It's almost as if the government of the United States is looking to enforce the laws that it passes. Shocker!
    It is when you consider their handling of Immigration Laws... and quite a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    What?

There is a law on the books, then the ATF CHANGED THE WAY THAT LAW IS NOW DEFINED.

How do you go through life and not understand the most basic of concepts?
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    The proposed new definition of "dealer" is quoted below. I don't know enough about the business of being a gun dealer to recognize the problem areas in the definition. What part of it is ambiguous? It seems unambiguously comprehensive. In addition to writing to your member of Congress, shouldn't you write to the ATF during the 90-day comment period, as they requested, so that they can address any problems with the proposed rule before it is finalized?

There's a separate too-long-to-quote definition of "engaged in the business." It all starts on page 96 of the above linked document.
    I can read.

If a Gemstone IV player sells an item from Ebon’s Gate a few years back and happens to make a profit since the item is more rare/valuable today, is that person a Gemstone IV dealer?

I have lots of guns. Many of those guns become increasingly more valuable over time. If I choose to sell one to a private individual that I do not know to be a felon, I shouldn’t be troubled with registering as a FFL. Instead, me as an example and a law abiding citizen, could now be charged with a felony for selling a gun to my neighbor. It’s important to understand Congress didn’t make or change the law. The ATF simply made a new rule and new definitions. You don’t have to be into guns to understand why that is wrong & concerning.

Yes I will be writing to the ATF as well. It’s a formality & spoiler alert: they don’t care nor will they change their mind. It’s like writing to the Soviet Gestapo.
    Last edited by Suppressed Poet; 09-02-2023 at 10:55 AM.

I can read.

If a Gemstone IV player sells an item from Ebon’s Gate a few years back and happens to make a profit since the item is more rare/valuable today, is that person a Gemstone IV dealer?

I have lots of guns. Many of those guns become increasingly more valuable over time. If I choose to sell one to a private individual that I do not know to be a felon, I shouldn’t be troubled with registering as a FFL. Instead, me as an example and a law abiding citizen, could now be charged with a felony for selling a gun to my neighbor. It’s important to understand Congress didn’t make or change the law. The ATF simply made a new rule and new definitions. You don’t have to be into guns to understand why that is wrong & concerning.

Yes I will be writing to the ATF as well. It’s a formality & spoiler alert: they don’t care nor will they change their mind. It’s like writing to the Soviet Gestapo.
    Best thing to do is not write anyone... as it will put you on their radar. Best practice is... don't freely offer your name up to be put on a list. Just some friendly advice... Because if you think your rights, and your representatives, still work for you... you'd be wrong.