Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Biased mods?

Default Biased mods?

While this seems to be a far stretch(/sarcasm) I have noticed alot of this lately. Mods who have issues with a poster or the ideals of a poster take it out by deleting a thread/post which doesn't really deserve to be removed. Later the same mod will go on an off topic tangent but nothing is said or done to the mod. I can think of 3-4 mods who I have noticed this from a bit in the last month.

Then again, maybe its just me
    Discord: anebriated

Looking for old characters:
    Elrodin 100 Ranger
    Moider 100 bard

Aside from that unpleasant incident a month or two ago, I haven't really seen too many problems as far as post/thread removals go. Do moderators treat everyone nicely? Of course not. They're posters as well as moderators, and dislike bleeds through in what they post.

I'm trying to figure out what you could be referring to, and the only one that comes to mind for me is Tsa'ah and Iriscience. As far as I know (I am admittedly out of the loop), he hasn't actually edited anything of Iriscience's to make himself look better. Further, the only other recent instance I can immediately think of regarding any sort of editing at all is someone changing Ben's TIDAL WAVE thread post.

Again, I only just started reading/posting here again in the last week and a half, so you'll have to fill me in with examples if I'm missing something here.

EDIT: Also feel free to name names, since I don't really think anyone cares whether or not strangers agree with what they do/say.

[Edited on 12-29-2004 by Edaarin]

I wasnt directing it any any mods in particular, but its just something I have noticed. While the removal of Ben's post was one of the incidents, as was Tsa'ah vs Iriscience, they are not the only ones by far. I just think that in certain situations had they been another poster they would have been overlooked and no changes would have been made.

As for Tsa'ah vs. Iriscience, it's sort of sad to see a mod go after a poster because of a 'bought character' even though there are many posters who are/were posters on these boards but were never called out as Tsa'ah tried.

Just my 2 cents.

Elrodin 100 Ranger
    Moider 100 bard

4. Default

If you can point out specific examples (links to threads, moderators and members involved), either in here or if you're more comfortable to U2U me personally, that will be very helpful.

Thank you.

[Edited on 12-29-2004 by Kranar]

Based on some of the content of Ben's posts, I'm not at all surprised that it got pulled. Would it have been pulled if someone else had posted it? Assuming it was a racially insensitive/offensive remark, I'm going to have to venture that yes, it would have.

I went back and reread the tail end of the Tsa'ah/Iriscience "debate." While reading it was sort of like watching monkeys throw shit at each other, I wouldn't condemn it as a moderator bias. Technically since there's not supposed to be any gay bashing, if he wanted to be anal he could have edited Iriscience's post about showing him how to blow his boyfriend. Not the most mature exchange I've ever read here, but again I don't think any lines were crossed as far as abusing mod powers go.

Just my POV, but that one seemed more like a poster vs poster deal, not angry moderator vs angry poster deal.

[Edited on 12-29-2004 by Edaarin]

I think what bothers me most is that its become a "do as I say and not as I do" mentality with the mods.

Elrodin 100 Ranger
    Moider 100 bard

Originally posted by Elrodin
    I wasnt directing it any any mods in particular, but its just something I have noticed. While the removal of Ben's post was one of the incidents, as was Tsa'ah vs Iriscience, they are not the only ones by far. I just think that in certain situations had they been another poster they would have been overlooked and no changes would have been made.
    Each mod has their own moderating style. What one mod will over look in a folder they are responsible for, another mod may be more strict. There are certain things no mod should over look.

As for Tsa'ah vs. Iriscience, it's sort of sad to see a mod go after a poster because of a 'bought character' even though there are many posters who are/were posters on these boards but were never called out as Tsa'ah tried.
    I didn't call anyone out. The member had been called out by other members and by his own posts.

The point of me bringing up his purchasing habits was to point out truth in advertising. If he gets scammed out of real cash, he has a means of recovery if he chooses to pursue those avenues. His stance on scamming in game, no GM intervention, leaves the scammed with no avenue of recovery.

I certainly did not go "after" him. He just inserted himself into the debate and proved to be a viable example.

Just my 2 cents.
    And you have no idea how appreciative I am that you chose to use this venue.

I've mentioned this in the past, and it certainly warrants repetition. Some posters mark themselves, via posting habits, with targets. Not surprisingly these folks are the first to scream bias when they are no longer allowed to continue with their posting habits. These are the same people that love to troll through old posts and point out where someone, who does not post in the same manner, got away with the same thing.

Mods are human. We're not automated, we're not jacked into the boards 24/7, we don't screen posts before they are posted, and we miss things. This is why every member has a report option. Yet when the shit hits the fan ... no one has bothered to report, yet they will make a post in a thread pointing out that the mod is not doing the job that they (the complainer) believes they should.

Im not asking you guys to screen every post, nor am I asking you to be perfect. I also tried to not name names so that mods wouldn't come here trying to show they are right.

To be honest I've been posting here for quite awhile and never noticed the report button. Then again I dont really care what is posted for the most part. I just wish the mods were more consistant with what they pull/let go. I dont mean all mods together, I mean each individual mod was more consistant.

Not surprisingly these folks are the first to scream bias when they are no longer allowed to continue with their posting habits.
    It would seem that I was the one who 'mentioned' bias. It was not directed at any one event(Edaarin was the one who brought up the two recent events). I dont believe I have been told to stop my current posting habits though.

yet they will make a post in a thread pointing out that the mod is not doing the job that they (the complainer) believes they should.
    If I should not have made the thread then you can go ahead and delete this folder.

While I may have been wrong to say you called out Iriscience you have definately pursued the fact that he bought a character. The fact he bought a character became irrevelent in the thread, I dont see how that applies to the scam. It wasnt so much of a 'debate' as you put it, rather Iriscience defending himself for how he chose to spend his money.

2 more cents.(funny how you think I should use the report button but support giving your 2 cents to the public)

Elrodin 100 Ranger
    Moider 100 bard

Mods on these boards work fairly well. I've had issues with moderators and not seen eye to eye with them in the past, but hey, that's the nature of the beast.

Other than a few instances with me butting heads with policy (mods just enforce the policy) I've found that posting here has, for the most part, been fun. Just have to remember that the mods are people and each person views each TOS infraction differently. What Chica might let slide, Tsa'ah might not. Just as it goes.

Now, if you want a real look at biased mods and post deletion/editting take a look at the (now defunct) Stoner's Realm. It is extremely clear cut there, rather than just the squeaky wheel getting the grease.

Mind you, I do not think mods have made mistakes the past, they have, but for the most part they do do their job.

- Arkans

Originally posted by Elrodin
    Im not asking you guys to screen every post, nor am I asking you to be perfect. I also tried to not name names so that mods wouldn't come here trying to show they are right.
    Perfectly understandable.

To be honest I've been posting here for quite awhile and never noticed the report button. Then again I dont really care what is posted for the most part. I just wish the mods were more consistant with what they pull/let go. I dont mean all mods together, I mean each individual mod was more consistant.
    That's not an unreasonable request. Unfortunately some of us may need examples. It may be something you have perceived as bias, it may be something that was over looked, it may actually be bias, or there could be a reason one instance was over looked while the other was not.

It would seem that I was the one who 'mentioned' bias. It was not directed at any one event(Edaarin was the one who brought up the two recent events). I dont believe I have been told to stop my current posting habits though.
    This I understand. I wasn't coming down on you at all.

If I should not have made the thread then you can go ahead and delete this folder.
    I can't delete it and I wouldn't if I could. It's valid concern.

While I may have been wrong to say you called out Iriscience you have definately pursued the fact that he bought a character. The fact he bought a character became irrevelent in the thread, I dont see how that applies to the scam. It wasnt so much of a 'debate' as you put it, rather Iriscience defending himself for how he chose to spend his money.
    And everyone has a right to defend themselves or their position. I felt it relevant in that if he felt scamming in was ok, it wouldn't be a stretch for him, in my opinion, to scam for real cash. As I pointed out, one scammed outside of the game has avenues of recovery. Those scammed in game, under his philosophy, would not. I simply called him on his denial after my statement was made. At that point it is member vs member. The only removals from that entire thread have been the off topic trolling.

2 more cents.(funny how you think I should use the report button but support giving your 2 cents to the public)
    I was merely pointing out the habits of those that paint the targets on their back, an act that you have not participated in.

Report should be used when you feel something is off-topic or in violation. At that point it is up to the mod(s) of that particular folder to take action or not.

What you are doing is expressing a general concern in a venue meant for such things. You're not doing anything wrong at all.