Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's something to talk about: Bush 2004 Time Man of the Year

Default Here's something to talk about: Bush 2004 Time Man of the Year

You know, with Gemstone down and all we could use a little flame war to keep us busy.

http://www.time.com/time/personofthe...004/story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

Good for him. Had Kerry won I'm sure it would've been him. This election and all of the buzz surrounding it (F911, bin Laden tapes) was probably the biggest story of the year... was definitely the longest lasting.

Time's annual honors have more to do with impact than they do moral fiber.

After all, Hitler had that "honor" as well.

4. Default

What's to argue about? I wouldn't disagree. They don't base their choice on who's wonderful or popular or nice. Hitler also made the list. Bush is almost certainly the most influential and controversial figure of the year so wins hands down.

Raven

edit: Damn you, Tsa'ah. You beat me by a minute.

[Edited on 12-20-2004 by Ravenstorm]
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    ~ Mark Twain in Eruption

When Bush was told the news of him getting Time's Man of the Year award, he looked at his watch and said, "3:15"

6. Default

Hilter was named man of the year in 1936, before he started slaughtering Jews by the thousand.

You really think someone who killed over 10 million people would get awarded man of the year?

Originally posted by Rutilcaper
    Hilter was named man of the year in 1936, before he started slaughtering Jews by the thousand.

You really think someone who killed over 10 million people would get awarded man of the year?
    That's a straw argument at best.

Stalin was man of the year in 42. Hitler still made the top 100 of the century.

Again, in case you have some disability, the "honor" goes toward those who had the biggest impact on said year, not moral fiber.

If we go with your argument, Hitler would not have been named in the Time 100. Do note that the criteria are identical when comparing the Time 100 to each year's "Person".

Maybe perhaps read Time Magazine's own splash on it?

My top three minds of the past.

Marx. Freud. Einstien.

Top minds of now?

Hawking.

PS. How did G W Bush get that article? Easy. He took a loan out on it. Whats another few billion bones?

I was seriously irate when Time didn't name Gandhi Person of the Century in 2000. He was in the Top 3, I think, with FDR and Einstein, I believe, and was discounted because his ideas were "unrealistically idealistic".

Fuck that!

-TheE-, checking in from Africa. Merry Christmas all! See you sometime in the new year. Kinda odd having a 100 degree Christmas in the middle of summer (and the rainy season). Argh.
    A.M.D.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    D TEAM UNITE! YOUR HEAD CHEERLEADER IS CALLING, HIS ATTEMPTED RESCUE OF THEe IS FAILING.