Thread: Hurling Bard - Training Suggestions?

1. Default Hurling Bard - Training Suggestions?

Nearly have my new Bard to a level high enough to be able to use the 5x discus throwing bandolier I got from the God Auction. I'd like some thoughts/suggestions on training. I realize this is probably a very niche/mutant build, but it's all for the sake of RP and fun! Kind of interesting to model a character around an item, too.

Some thoughts/questions:
    - I'm hoping to open aim. Should I stick with just 1x Combat Maneuvers? Or should I try to stick some Ambush in there? I doubt I'd be able to fully 1x Ambush, though.
    - 1x or 2x Perception? The wiki indicates Perception plays a role in Thrown AS along with CM.
    - 1x or 2x Brawling? This would be in addition to 2x Thrown to add some empty-handed DS or perhaps even a backup attack style (I do like UAC!)
    - Should I try to do some Elemental Lore - Air early on or drop it until later? I'm not sure I'll have the mana to maintain Sonic Shield or Sonic Armor, though eventually I want to use both.

I was looking at Whirlin's Bard guide and may take some suggestions from the Ranged Bard section, though the ability to use a Shield with Thrown makes it a bit different.

As reference for how many points there may be to play around with, here's what I have for her now (I have her as a Sword/Board build currently):
    1x Armor
    1x Shield
    2x Edged
    1x CM
    1x Dodging
    1x Physical Fitness
    0.5x Ambush
    1x Harness Power
    1x Elemental Lore - Air
    1x Spells
    1x Perception
    0.5x Climbing
    0.5x Swimming

I've had enough points for this training fairly well so far. It's just a question of what I can fit in once I switch the 2x Edged to 2x Thrown, which should be alright (I believe the costs are the same as Edged).

2. Default

I don't have real advice, but I would consider trying to get DS from shield use instead of going for multiple weapon skills. Also, given how useful air lore is I would try to hit the relevant numbers when possible (e.g., 50 and 75) but there is no need to increase air lore steadily between those key points that I know of.

Maybe:

60 Armor
    2x Shield
    2x Thrown
    1x PF
    1x CM
    level HP
    1x Spells
    1x Perception

3. Default

Thanks for the thoughts!

My only thought at having Brawling was the fact there will be times after hurling the weapon that she will have one empty hand and the shield in the other. Wasn't sure if this may help in this case or if the additional DS is miniscule/not enough to bother with.

Good thing is the recent increase of fast migration up to L20 will help a bit with this - I may be able to fiddle around and try out a few different paths. Probably won't be able to until early next week, though.

Blog Entries

Semi-hijack question: With the new changes to Sonic Weapon, can Bards now hurl their weapons and have them stick around for a full minute in the creature?
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Semi-hijack question: With the new changes to Sonic Weapon, can Bards now hurl their weapons and have them stick around for a full minute in the creature?

I can always make that one of my tests when I switch to the hurling build next week.

Seems like it'd be a waste of mana, though, since it'd probably dissipate and have to be re-sung.

Not even sure - can Bards sing up hurling-type weapons (discus, bola, etc.)?

Honestly as long as ya keep up with your songs and basic combat skills its fairly hard to fail as a bard once you are out of the low level everything sucks range
    Last edited by Ardwen; 01-19-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by LivderaDeralleur View Post
    Not even sure - can Bards sing up hurling-type weapons (discus, bola, etc.)?
    You can hurl more than just those specific weapon types. Like handaxes.
    Last edited by Maerit; 01-19-2017 at 03:31 PM.

8. Default

Alright. If anyone's curious. Yes- you can sing up Thrown type weapons. Yes - they dissipate upon hitting the target. (See clips at end of this post)

And here's my testing regarding training paths.

Training Path #1
    1x armor
    2x shield
    2x thrown
    1x dodge
    1x PF
    1x CM
    1x spells
    1x Perception
    HP to level
    Couple ranks in swim/climb (had to sacrifice 1 each to get the full 2x in shield)
    DS: +128 (off, open right hand, 4x medium shield in left hand)
    DS: +135 (off, 5x discus in right hand, 4x medium shield in left hand)

Training Path #2
    2x thrown
    1x shield
    1x brawl
    1x dodge
    1x CM
    1x PF
    1x air lore
    1x spells
    HP to level
    1x Perception
    0.5x Climbing
    0.5x Swimming
    DS: +137 (off, empty right hand, 4x medium shield in left hand)
    DS: +140 (off, 5x discus in right hand, 4x medium shield in left hand)

Training Path #3
    1x armor
    2x thrown
    1x shield
    2x brawl
    1x CM
    1x PF
    1x spells
    HP to level
    1x Perception
    Couple ranks of Climb/Swim (Also had to sacrifice some ranks to get full 2x in Brawl)
    DS: +140 (off, open right hand, 4x medium shield in left hand)
    DS: +140 (off, 5x discus in right hand, 4x medium shield in left hand)

The 1x CM/1x Perception @ L13 seems to have a fairly good success rate for aiming - granted I haven't tested thoroughly yet. I imagine this will go down as I level up.
    >rub band
    You pull a glacial blue rhimar discus gracefully from your bandolier.
    >aim head
    You're now aiming at the head of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.
    >hurl
    You are unable to find an opening for your right-handed throw.
    Roundtime: 1 sec.
    >hurl
    With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a glacial blue rhimar discus into flight.
    You throw a glacial blue rhimar discus at a lesser burrow orc!
    AS: +177 vs DS: +37 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +82 = +256
    ... and hit for 65 points of damage!
    Mighty swing separates head from shoulders.
    The lights in a lesser burrow orc's eyes dim and finally go out.
    The rhimar discus ricochets away from a lesser burrow orc, landing nearby.
    Roundtime: 4 sec.

And here is trying with a sonic discus, just for fun/research!
    >prep 1012
    You change your tune slightly, adding the element for Sonic Weapon Song to your song...
    [Spellsong preparation time: 10 seconds]
    Your spellsong is ready.
    >sing discus
    You weave another verse into your harmony.
    You begin singing and focus your voice into a vortex of air shaped like a sonic discus, centered on your right hand.
    Sing Roundtime 3 Seconds.
    >hurl
    With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a sonic discus into flight.
    You throw a sonic discus at a lesser orc!
    AS: +169 vs DS: +30 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +78 = +251
    ... and hit for 51 points of damage!
    Right kneecap smashed into pulp.
    The lesser orc is knocked to the ground!
    The lesser orc is stunned!
    Your sonic discus dissipates.
    Roundtime: 4 sec.

From the looks of it, Training Path #2 seems to provide the best all-around DS and lets me keep my 1x Air Lore for the eventual bonuses to having a Sonic Shield.