Thread: Paladin bonding (1625) to a chainspear info

Default Paladin bonding (1625) to a chainspear info

Heyas, I just thought I'd share this with anyone in case they were interested. I searched and couldn't find any answers to some questions I had about using 1625 to bond to a chainspear.

1) It seems that 1625 does not register same level kills for advancing bonding ranks when using a chainspear as a thrown weapon.

I had to finally fixskill into a regular melee build to get the bond rank to advance from 0 to 1. I gave it enough tries that I'm virtually certain of this, I didn't make a specific count but I know I killed over 100 slk's through hurling and it took over 50+ when I stopped counting after turning to melee.

However, its possible that you might be able to just hit with a melee attack and then kill them using a thrown attack ... but I just assume it works off the killing blow.

I believe the problem is that you actually have a shaft in your hand when you throw it and the spell isn't seeing the shaft as the weapon to which you are bonded.

2) You do get the plasma flares from bonding when using it as a thrown weapon, I added a few ranks of thrown and used it enough to see a flare.

My plan now is just to continue ranking up to bond rank 5, then fixskill into a thrown build. It sure sucks having to use an extra fixskills potion to do it.

There's still no ensorcell flares on thrown.

On the plus side, the melee version sure flares alot. I'm seeing a 23.4% flare rate but only with a low number of iterations (22 flares in 94 swings), I'm betting it'll settle down to 20% with more testing ... which is still darn nice. This is not counting the plasma flares from bonding, just the scripted flares!

***Added on 12-29-16 after further testing***

The below statement appears to be partially incorrect at least for unaimed melee. I did some testing earlier in the year with my warrior used aimed melee attacks that definitely seemed to correspond like damage being done with a flare, ie slashing hit produces a slashing flare, etc. However, looking at my testing today I noticed that the flares were slashing damage and blunt damage and untethered to the type of damage done in the base hit. I've added flare examples of each type and will do some testing later on with aiming to see if I can reproduce what I remember from the testing with my warrior.

- Appears to be incorrect - You get either a piercing mechanical flare when the spear does piercing damage on a flare hit swing or a slashing mechanical flare when the spear does slashing damage on a flare hit swing.

- This part I think is still correct- If you use aimed attacks the flares occur on the same location as the swing hit location.

Also, the chainspear receives a large -50 AS penalty when used hurling with CMAN Crowd Press. When swung there is only a -1 AS penalty with CMAN Crowd Press. I'm thinking a neat tactic for certain critters would be to hurl, pull to knockdown, then crowd press, then melee to kill it. Likely it would require post cap training for my paladin but a warrior could do it while leveling up. You wouldn't want to do it every time, but some stuff its better to keep on the ground trying to stand/maneuver away from you.

Another neat finding, apparently halflings receive no penalties to Crowd Press at least vs humanoid size targets, ie warfarers.

Slashing flare example:

You thrust with a segmented cobalt imflass partisan at a krolvin warfarer!
    Your cobalt imflass partisan separates smoothly into long, kelyn-linked segments! AS: +289 vs DS: +104 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +38 = +251
    ... and hit for 104 points of damage!
    Deft slash!
    The krolvin warfarer is spun around and hit hard in his lower back.
    The krolvin warfarer is knocked to the ground!

** Necrotic energy from your cobalt imflass partisan overflows into you! **

You feel reinvigorated!

** The imflass head of your partisan catches across a krolvin warfarer! **
    ... 45 points of damage!
    Hard slash to the krolvin warfarer's side opens his spleen!
    The krolvin warfarer rolls over on the floor and goes still.
    The deep blue glow leaves a krolvin warfarer.
    Roundtime: 5 sec.

Crushing flare example:

You thrust with a segmented cobalt imflass partisan at a krolvin warfarer!
    Your cobalt imflass partisan separates smoothly into long, kelyn-linked segments! AS: +289 vs DS: +168 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +16 = +165
    ... and hit for 33 points of damage!
    Smooth slash to the krolvin warfarer's hip!
    Nice crunching sound.

** Necrotic energy from your cobalt imflass partisan overflows into you! **

You feel energized!

** One of the segments of your cobalt imflass partisan twists around and smashes into a krolvin warfarer's abdomen! **
    ... 30 points of damage!
    Blow ruptures the stomach!
    The krolvin warfarer is stunned!
    Last edited by Aluvius; 12-29-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Awesome research work and while this will help a very small community of folks, does not negate the usefulness of the knowledge.
    [Roll result: 120 (open d100: 94) Penalties: 10]
    You crouch, sweep a leg at Master Footpad Truaz and connect!
    Master Footpad Truaz falls to the ground! You deftly regain your footing.

[You have 1 repetition(s) remaining.]

** A spike on your spiked ora leg greaves jabs into the Footpad Truaz! **
    ... 15 points of damage!
    Well aimed shot, punctures calf!
    The Footpad Truaz is stunned!

Added some more info and correction for the flares and cman crowd press.

I know its a small audience but I always had alot of questions about chainspears and there's been very little information posted about them from users over the years. I figured since I'm having to fixskill to bond I might as well experiment.