Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Hypocrisy Run Rampant

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    Your return is having a strong defense protecting your home, every citizen enjoys this comfort. Your question is a red herring, your attempt at trying to prime me for an answer you wanted was pretty lame.
    I'm not trying to prime anything, my man. Quite to the contrary, your reaction is exactly what the politicians want when they say "defense spending". We count as defense spending that spending which the actual military actually says it doesn't want. It has literally no impact on the protection of my or anyone else's home... except those offices of Washington D.C. paid for by taxpayer dollars. Think it through. Why do you suppose those politicians don't devote those dollars to something like pay for service members? Follow the money, and you will see the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thondalar
    When viewed through the lens of our Republic, the Electoral College is, in fact, explicitly intended to govern by the will of the people. States are not equal by population, but they are (more, relatively) equal in vote. This is the correct way to do things, in a Republic. You know it, everyone else knows it. The alternatives are worse both in reality and potential.
    A republic is explicitly not the will of the people - that would be a democracy. For our republic in particular, I encourage you to reread Fed. 68.
    This...doesn't even make any sense.
    Ah, I take it you are unfamiliar with the First Amendment Defense Act, or perhaps President-Elect Trump's stated support of it. We all agree here that gay marriage is settled. There will I think be quite significant comedy when people of your ilk find that whoops, the GOP actually is still trying to get rid of it. Ha! Ha! Parkbandit will surely be entertained, at least.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    WTF? Clinton WON the popular vote.
    We can't say that for sure until we do a recount in California and New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    A republic is explicitly not the will of the people - that would be a democracy.
    And unfettered Democracy has proven time and again to be the catalyst for oppression of minorities. This is why we are, technically anyway, a Republic, and not, technically, a Democracy.

For national elections, we simply cannot allow a handful of States to make the decisions for the rest of the Republic. Again, you're looking at this as a strictly Republic vs. Democracy scenario, when it is not. WE are a Republic. There is no Republic vs. Democracy, because we're not choosing between the two. Under our Republic, the "will of the people" is represented by their State's vote, not their individual vote. That's how the system works. The Majority of States voted for Trump, so he won the election.

You're capable of grasping much more complicated concepts than this, I've seen it. This should be relatively easy for you.

For our republic in particular, I encourage you to reread Fed. 68.
    You know very well my familiarity with "the papers". I must admit I'm a bit confused by your reference here...nothing there disputes what I said. In fact, it reaffirms it, and explains why we have the Electoral College. Perhaps you should read it?

Ah, I take it you are unfamiliar with the First Amendment Defense Act, or perhaps President-Elect Trump's stated support of it. We all agree here that gay marriage is settled. There will I think be quite significant comedy when people of your ilk find that whoops, the GOP actually is still trying to get rid of it. Ha! Ha! Parkbandit will surely be entertained, at least.
    I'm familiar with it, and I see nothing wrong with it, other than it should only apply to private sector citizens, and not government employees. If you want to object to giving a marriage certificate to a gay couple, that's great, but your job is to give marriage certificates to legally qualified couples. If you can't do your job, then you need to find another job. I'm all for adding some sort of clause that states Government employees are required to follow the law. There's your "middle ground".

Quote Originally Posted by Thondalar View Post
    And unfettered Democracy has proven time and again to be the catalyst for oppression of minorities. This is why we are, technically anyway, a Republic, and not, technically, a Democracy.

For national elections, we simply cannot allow a handful of States to make the decisions for the rest of the Republic. Again, you're looking at this as a strictly Republic vs. Democracy scenario, when it is not. WE are a Republic. There is no Republic vs. Democracy, because we're not choosing between the two. Under our Republic, the "will of the people" is represented by their State's vote, not their individual vote. That's how the system works. The Majority of States voted for Trump, so he won the election.

You're capable of grasping much more complicated concepts than this, I've seen it. This should be relatively easy for you.

You know very well my familiarity with "the papers". I must admit I'm a bit confused by your reference here...nothing there disputes what I said. In fact, it reaffirms it, and explains why we have the Electoral College. Perhaps you should read it?

I'm familiar with it, and I see nothing wrong with it, other than it should only apply to private sector citizens, and not government employees. If you want to object to giving a marriage certificate to a gay couple, that's great, but your job is to give marriage certificates to legally qualified couples. If you can't do your job, then you need to find another job. I'm all for adding some sort of clause that states Government employees are required to follow the law. There's your "middle ground".
    .... Oppression of minorities? Seriously? NOW you care?

Agree with Thondalar here, even though it wasn't my desired outcome of the election. He's right. We DO NOT live in a democracy. We live in a republic. America has NEVER been a democracy and it was not intended to be. Its a republic where each state's voice is treated relatively equally. Cool. Trump won. Move. On.

However your numbers are inaccurate. There are only 146 million registered voters in the United States. From the same source there are 218 million voting aged citizens in the U.S., many of whom are not registered to vote. That means that roughly 82 million voters did not vote for Clinton, and no matter how you spin that number, more people chose not to vote for Trump. So the substantial majority of our country chose "none of the above." But this whole part of the discussion is irrelevant. When voter turnout is only 55% we end up with lesser of two evils candidates. Which is just a fucking shit show. I think we can all agree that this whole election was a shit show regardless of the outcome.

In other news, Trump will raise your taxes according to analysis by Fox news:
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/28/analysis-for-some-in-middle-class-trump-plan-would-mean-tax-increase.html

Just putting that here because it fits the title of the thread.

I hear Trump won the election in Michigan....AGAIN! Pretty soon we are all going to be calling the White House like, "Mr. President, please...Mr. President...we are so tired of winning."