Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Books

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    Books? What a nerd.
    I know right? Who even reads? I watch TV in GS.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    Books? What a nerd.
    It's true. I'm such a nerd that I collect books in a text game.

How does one acquire books? Are they written by player on blanks?

Rohese has a small collection of books: some of which are random finds during events/games, altered prayerbooks and alchemy tomes. I also have a number I've written myself using the writeable books that have been available over the years.
    Rohese's GS Wiki page

You arrange yourself on the throne.

You attend to your gold wirework circlet, carefully smoothing the hair underneath, and adopt a regal air as you survey the area.

You think to yourself, "I got this"

Gloummerick was an GM/NPC book-binder who accepted submissions.

Still one of the coolest things that she who shall not be named did. If I reactivate at some point I'll search my lockers. I think I only have Nevrek/Azorack though.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nazagor View Post
    How does one acquire books? Are they written by player on blanks?
    The Gloumerrick books were all released as a set about 15 years ago. They were created by different players and generally written IC by their character. GM Jharra basically solicited anyone who wanted to submit a book concept and then came out with a merchant (Gloumerrick) who had those books available for sale. The first edition prints were all just physical objects - a "book" or "volume" or "tome" container that could open/close with individual "page" objects inside that each could be read. About a month later, Gloumerrick came back with second edition prints of those same books for sale that could actually be FLIPped and READ and didn't have the individual page objects inside; another GM (I don't recall who, but it may have been Lothwyn) coded the newstyle book based off of that.

There have very rarely been additional books released in game since then using the same code, but for the most part that set is it. There are also scripted books that actually don't contain written text; an example of that are the super-scripted books for sale at Duskruin right now, or the prayerbooks that have been released at various festivals. They're great for alter fodder and for props, but unfortunately don't have as much in-game history tied to them.

A few years ago, blank books with writeable pages came out and that really opened things up substantially more. I've seen some people use them very successfully as journals, art projects, or even as a pseudo-printing press for certain topics. While my focus here is definitely on Gloumerrick (and similar) books, I would be open to looking at some of those to add to my library.

<< a hydrological treatise >>

Say what?

I forget what this contained.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Askip View Post
    << a hydrological treatise >>

Say what?

I forget what this contained.

That one is actually from the Datum Line, which is one of the gnome stores under Ta'Vaalor. It doesn't do anything, but it seemed a nice addition! I snagged a couple from the shop to just throw on the shelves.

10. Default

A HUGE thank you to everyone who has reached out to me over the.. wow.. past two years. I've tracked down a number of books already, but I am still missing quite a few.

If you have old Gloumerrick books taking up space in your locker, or are recently returned to GS and want to unload some things.. please let me know!