Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profanity FE and Quality of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomad View Post
    I have a patch that does this (with colors; I'll look into ncurses underlines instead) and also cleans up the death window for the new death messages. I snuck a crasher in the death messages part, though, that I need to fix up before I submit a pull request. Just haven't had the time; life's a little busy.

edit: On that note, if anyone knows and can write up a quick overview of how the data for the SF popup menus work, I'd be thrilled to read it. Even when I try to log everything that gets sent to/from stormfront, it only seems to send coordinate data and stuff like 'menu item 1,3'; I can't seem to find the actual menu contents anywhere. Maybe this deserves its own thread.
    Sounds great. I've been using Profanity for several years now as-is so it's no rush.

I wonder for the death logs if there's anything interesting to be done. Like if I want to toggle highlights on ones that happen in certain towns or something...?

Figured I'd throw this here from the officials since it's relevant. The nerve thing is annoying but what can you do? This made me think about adding code to try to poll nerve status from Lich, but that seemed like a lot of dependency trouble for not a lot of benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by daid
    In Profanity FE, the nerve injury and scar indication is not distinguished. It always looks like an injury.

I had asked Tillmen about this "bug" and he indicated to me that it was coming through the game feed that way, and he wasn't sure what hacks the Simu FEs do to get around this error. He said he considered it on a time but hadn't done anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by krakii
    It may be that the front-end parses the string and displays X color if "string == scar" wording and Y color if "string == wound" wording.
    I know that some scars can hamper some activities--to include passive things, like experience absorption--in a similar fashion to a wound, so it may be "all wounds are wounds, even if it's an OLD wound [== scar]", all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pflats
    At least on the SF side, the "issue" is the XML the server sends. I've never bothered to log the wizard feed, but since Lich uses the XML feed, it's irrelevant.

Rank 2 leg wound: <image id="leftLeg" name="Scar2" cmd="cure left leg" tooltip="cure left leg" height="0" width="0"/>
    Rank 2 leg scar: <image id="leftLeg" name="Injury2" cmd="cure left leg" tooltip="cure left leg" height="0" width="0"/>

vs.

Rank 2 nerve wound: <image id="nsys" name="Nsys2" cmd="cure nerves" tooltip="cure nerves" height="0" width="0"/>
    Rank 2 nerve scar: <image id="nsys" name="Nsys2" cmd="cure nerves" tooltip="cure nerves" height="0" width="0"/>

It's not a bug per se. Stormfront is being told what image to load into the little picture of you on the side of your screen. It doesn't need to know whether the wound is a scar or not, just the name of the the image(s) to display on your little dude on the side of the screen. For most damage, wounds show up in red with a number from 1-3 (Injury1 - Injury3), while scars show up in orange with a number from 1-3 (Scar1 - Scar3). For nerve damage, a picture of your nervous system shows up in yellow, orange, or red, for minor, medium, major, regardless of whether it's a scar or a wound (Nsys1 - Nsys3).

The paper doll never distinguishes the two. If you have orange nerves and your radio setting is on "both", you have a rank 2 nerve, but there's no way to tell whether it's a scar or a wound without further interaction. That radio setting is actually a server-side feature, and tells the server what kind of wounds to send you: just wounds, just scars, or both. Then the server sends your client the image to display.

So, the roundabout answer: There is no hack. Everything is working as intended. Profanity is trying to add a feature (distinguishing between nerve scars and nerve wounds) that Stormfront doesn't have, and that the XML feed doesn't try support. Unsurprisingly, this doesn't work well.

To know your wounds exactly, whenever the XML reports a change in nerve wounds, Lich quietly types HEALTH (without showing the results to you) and does what Krakii suggests - it parses the wound strings to be able to tell whether Nsys2 is representing a scar or a wound this time. Profanity could do the same.

All right, There's two things left that I can't figure out if they are working, or not.

In the xml config, thoughts show as:

Code:
    <preset id='thoughts' fg='000000' bg='66ccff'/>
    But thoughts are no differently colored than anything else, I know it's just the first part of the line that is supposed to be colored.

Also, the color for monsterbold shows up on the creatures, but not on GM text in other things that happen in the story window, which do show up on a StormFront monsterbolded message.

The latter may not apply to other bolded messaging, I'm not sure. But the thoughts should, right?

Thank you!
    Luxie's adventures (because I must write) plus some guests from the past at my blog:
    http://www.thebardess.com

I threw together a script (;drizzleback) that will put brackets around Stormfront links in any FE. Should be a help to people in this thread. Throw complaints (like the fact that the instructions always show up on run) in my script thread.

When life calms down, I'll get back to work on my profanity patch.