Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Third Industrial Revolution Will Be Bigger Than the First Two

Here is another financial writer who fails to see the size of the problem. He calls the effects on commercial drivers "breath-taking," as if AI automation will only affect our roadways.

When I replace my car with something that can figure out on its own how to get me safely and quickly to my destination – a moment that can’t come soon enough, as far as I’m concerned – it won’t have much impact on the economy.

But what’s happening in the commercial sector will be a mini-version of the industrial revolution: doing away with professional drivers.

And the magnitude of this problem is breath-taking. Here are some numbers about the people in the US working in the trade:

More...

Another good article about what is coming..

The world is changing faster than ever, and Donald Trump’s campaign tapped into concern about where that change is taking the country. Many of the campaign’s central issues—jobs, globalization and immigration—had in common that they were rooted, in large part, in technological change.

The populist wave Mr. Trump rode appears to be on a collision course with the fruits of technology and the people who build it.

More...
    Economic turmoil relating to the third industrial revolution is just now beginning to creep into the economy. It will generate much greater political and economic turmoil in the coming decade.

The below quotation is from Keynes' 1930 essay "Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren." If you were to read the entire essay, which you definitely should -- a Google search will reveal multiple free online copies -- you would probably recognize several phrases that have made their way into popular culture, though you are not likely to have known the source. If you read it and consider how it relates to what is coming in just a few years, then I promise that it will occupy your thoughts for several weeks. Keynes wrote in this essay 86 years ago about economic possibilities for his grandchildren. Those possibilities will materialize for your children and, if you have a long life, perhaps for you.

Let us, for the sake of argument, suppose that a hundred years hence we are all of us, on the average, eight times better off in the economic sense than we are to-day. Assuredly there need be nothing here to surprise us.

Now it is true that the needs of human beings may seem to be insatiable. But they fall into two classes—those needs which are absolute in the sense that we feel them whatever the situation of our fellow human beings may be, and those which are relative in the sense that we feel them only if their satisfaction lifts us above, makes us feel superior to, our fellows. Needs of the second class, those which satisfy the desire for superiority, may indeed be insatiable; for the higher the general level, the higher still are they. But this is not so true of the absolute needs—a point may soon be reached, much sooner perhaps than we are all of us aware of, when these needs are satisfied in the sense that we prefer to devote our further energies to non-economic purposes.

Now for my conclusion, which you will find, I think, to become more and more startling to the imagination the longer you think about it.

I draw the conclusion that, assuming no important wars and no important increase in population, the economic problem may be solved, or be at least within sight of solution, within a hundred years. This means that the economic problem is not—if we look into the future—the permanent problem of the human race.

Why, you may ask, is this so startling? It is startling because—if, instead of looking into the future, we look into the past—we find that the economic problem, the struggle for subsistence, always has been hitherto the primary, most pressing problem of the human race—not only of the human race, but of the whole of the biological kingdom from the beginnings of life in its most primitive forms.

Keynes was really saying that capitalism would eventually remove the need for capitalism..

But beware! The time for all this is not yet. For at least another hundred years we must pretend to ourselves and to every one that fair is foul and foul is fair; for foul is useful and fair is not. Avarice and usury and precaution must be our gods for a little longer still. For only they can lead us out of the tunnel of economic necessity into daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    The below quotation is from Keynes' 1930 essay "Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren." If you were to read the entire essay, which you definitely should -- a Google search will reveal multiple free online copies -- you would probably recognize several phrases that have made their way into popular culture, though you are not likely to have known the source. If you read it and consider how it relates to what is coming in just a few years, then I promise that it will occupy your thoughts for several weeks. Keynes wrote in this essay 86 years ago about economic possibilities for his grandchildren. Those possibilities will materialize for your children and, if you have a long life, perhaps for you.

Keynes was really saying that capitalism would eventually remove the need for capitalism..
    Keynes was a nut, and his ideas are still nuttish today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
    Keynes was a nut, and his ideas are still nuttish today.
    Keynes' writing/theories are at the core of almost all macro-economic theory across the ideological spectrum from conservative to liberal ...

Quote Originally Posted by Aluvius View Post
    Keynes' writing/theories are at the core of almost all macro-economic theory across the ideological spectrum from conservative to liberal ...
    This. Also Keynes helped us stave off a depression not that long ago

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    This. Also Keynes helped us stave off a depression not that long ago
    He's a nut.

I'm glad to see that Bill Gates is finally beginning to recognize that I have been right about the magnitude of what is coming. But taxes are never the answer. No taxation without representation! Robots should not have to pay taxes, unless they get to vote -- and they'll vote Republican.

Robots are taking human jobs. But Bill Gates believes that governments should tax companies’ use of them, as a way to at least temporarily slow the spread of automation and to fund other types of employment.

It’s a striking position from the world’s richest man and a self-described techno-optimist who co-founded Microsoft, one of the leading players in artificial-intelligence technology.

More...

Blog Entries

Don't think I would ever want a self driving vehicle, enjoy driving too much.

I really don't think most people are prepared to have the conversations that need to take place before we make these leaps.

I would go as far as to say we will self destruct long before we reach what is being envisioned. Again the conversations that need to take place will break down primarily because of the strong PC society we have become.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

The digital revolution is in full swing. How will it change our world? The amount of data we produce doubles every year. In other words: in 2016 we produced as much data as in the entire history of humankind through 2015. Every minute we produce hundreds of thousands of Google searches and Facebook posts. These contain information that reveals how we think and feel. Soon, the things around us, possibly even our clothing, also will be connected with the Internet. It is estimated that in 10 years’ time there will be 150 billion networked measuring sensors, 20 times more than people on Earth. Then, the amount of data will double every 12 hours. Many companies are already trying to turn this Big Data into Big Money.

More...
    A good long read for those interested in this subject.