Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Third Industrial Revolution Will Be Bigger Than the First Two

The United States and Russia were among a small number of countries that blocked the U.N. from moving toward talks on whether to ban so-called killer robots.

During a week of meetings in Geneva, which ended in the early hours of Saturday, a group at the United Nations’ Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) discussed whether to take negotiations on fully autonomous weapons powered by artificial intelligence to a formal level that could lead to a treaty banning them.

More...
    Remember that guy who was distributing plans to print a gun at home? Well, just wait until we have plans to print killer robots at home and then we automate the printers.

Blog Entries

Skynet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Methais isn't even on my level bitch.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Skynet?
    Wintermute is coming.

Henry Kissinger in The Atlantic..

How the Enlightenment Ends
    Philosophically, intellectually—in every way—human society is unprepared for the rise of artificial intelligence.

HENRY A. KISSINGER
    JUNE 2018 ISSUE

More...

The speaker insisted that this ability could not be preprogrammed. His machine, he said, learned to master Go by training itself through practice. Given Go’s basic rules, the computer played innumerable games against itself, learning from its mistakes and refining its algorithms accordingly. In the process, it exceeded the skills of its human mentors. And indeed, in the months following the speech, an AI program named AlphaGo would decisively defeat the world’s greatest Go players.

As I listened to the speaker celebrate this technical progress, my experience as a historian and occasional practicing statesman gave me pause. What would be the impact on history of self-learning machines—machines that acquired knowledge by processes particular to themselves, and applied that knowledge to ends for which there may be no category of human understanding? Would these machines learn to communicate with one another? How would choices be made among emerging options? Was it possible that human history might go the way of the Incas, faced with a Spanish culture incomprehensible and even awe-inspiring to them? Were we at the edge of a new phase of human history?

Aware of my lack of technical competence in this field, I organized a number of informal dialogues on the subject, with the advice and cooperation of acquaintances in technology and the humanities. These discussions have caused my concerns to grow.

One author's meandering predictions about virtual assistants..

According to a 2018 report by National Public Radio and Edison Research, 8 million Americans own three or more smart speakers, suggesting that they feel the need to always have one within earshot. By 2021, according to another research firm, Ovum, there will be almost as many voice-activated assistants on the planet as people. It took about 30 years for mobile phones to outnumber humans. Alexa and her ilk may get there in less than half that time.

More...
    Within our lifetimes, these devices will likely become much more adroit conversationalists. By the time they do, they will have fully insinuated themselves into our lives. With their perfect cloud-based memories, they will be omniscient; with their occupation of our most intimate spaces, they'll be omnipresent. And with their eerie ability to elicit confessions, they could acquire a remarkable power over our emotional lives. What will that be like?

Why are virtual assistants all virtual women? Is it because people believe that women make better secretaries? Or is it a plot by feminists to take over?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    One author's meandering predictions about virtual assistants..

Why are virtual assistants all virtual women? Is it because people believe that women make better secretaries? Or is it a plot by feminists to take over?
    There is an Echo in almost all the rooms of my house. My husband has one in the garage I've become so accustomed to it now that I get a little jolt of panic when I ask Alexa something and don't get an answer right away.

I'd like it if a mellow male voice was an option instead of the female version but I don't really care either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    There is an Echo in almost all the rooms of my house. My husband has one in the garage I've become so accustomed to it now that I get a little jolt of panic when I ask Alexa something and don't get an answer right away.

I'd like it if a mellow male voice was an option instead of the female version but I don't really care either way.
    They should make Morgan Freeman an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Methais isn't even on my level bitch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    They should make Morgan Freeman an option.
    I'd like James Earl Jones. It'd be like the voice of God answering you. That or Sean Connery. Love me a Scottish Burr.
    Last edited by Tisket; 10-11-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    I'd like James Earl Jones. It'd be like the voice of God answering you. That or Sean Connery. Love me a Scottish Burr.
    They should use this voice:

Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post

We've come a long way, baby.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.