Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Third Industrial Revolution Will Be Bigger Than the First Two

You should read the whole article linked below and then spend a few hours worrying about it.

A decade ago, industrial robots assisted workers in their tasks. Now workers—those who remain—assist the robots in theirs.

For decades, the conventional view among economists was that technological advances create as many opportunities for workers as they take away. In the past several years, however, research has begun to suggest otherwise. “It’s not that we’re running out of work or jobs per se,” David Autor, an M.I.T. economist who studies the impact of automation on employment, said. “But a subset of people with low skill levels may not be able to earn a reasonable standard of living based on their labor. We see that already.” As automation depresses wages, jobs in factories become both less abundant and less appealing.

This process, Autor and other economists argue, can also exacerbate inequality. The labor market is built around the idea of labor scarcity: each person has a bundle of labor—his or her own capacity to work—that employers need and that she can sell in the job market through employment during the course of a career of thirty years or so. That model is eroding. “It doesn’t mean there’s no money around, but it’s just accruing to the owners of capital, to the owners of ideas,” Autor says. “And capital is less equitably distributed than labor. Everyone is born with some labor, but not everyone is born with capital.”

More...

An industrial robot will pick up the same object, in the same location, over and over. The challenge, and the multibillion-dollar business opportunity, was to teach a robot to function in an environment that was constantly changing. This was Winnie’s assignment. “There’s a saying in robotics: Anything a human being can do after age five is very easy for a robot,” one of Tellex’s students had said to me earlier. “Learn to play chess, no problem. Learn to walk, no way.”
    “The winds are changing,” Araten said. “I think part of the reason populism is rising around the world is that the gap is getting too big. Having so much inequality creates instability in a country. Maybe twenty years ago, we still had too many poor people, but they believed that they had a shot. I believe some of that is being sucked away.”

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    You should read the whole article linked below and then spend a few hours worrying about it.
    Sorry but the only MIT person I trust is Bobmuhthol.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

This is something you need to spend time worrying about.

Boomers and Gen X-ers: Your working world is in for major disruptions between now and 2030, according to a new report from the management consulting firm Bain & Co. “The depth and breadth of changes in the 2020s will set apart this transformation from many previous ones,” said the report, Labor 2030: The Collision of Demographics, Automation and Inequality.

More...
    “If you’re well-educated, and high-income, you will probably manage to keep working into your 70s if you want,” said Schwedel. “But if you’re blue-collar, with less than a high-school education and health problems, you’ll have a tougher time.”

The bottom 40% of older households “may see their income and workforce participation decline due to health reasons,” the Bain report said.

What about the robots?
    And those robots we’ve been told will be coming to take our jobs? Automation may be a reason to worry for many, but it could possibly spell opportunities for your career, and for your investment portfolio.

Bain said it believes the rapid spread of automation may eliminate as many as 20% to 25% of current jobs — equal to 40 million displaced workers. Hardest hit: workers currently making between $30,000 and $60,000 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    Dude it's still just hype... people like Elon Musk hypes up shit like this to drum up capital and raise stock prices.

I wonder if Necro realized that this account isn't wrecked yet.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Blog Entries

Reported for posting in a ClydeR thread.

Double reported for invoking old Necro accounts.

Necro's 2 inch boner is gonna pop out of his diaper once he realizes that hello is still active.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Necro's 2 inch boner is gonna pop out of his diaper once he realizes that hello is still active.
    You had to tell him...

What is wrong with you!?!?

Reported. Enjoy your ban.
    Last edited by Parkbandit; 04-26-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    You had to tell him...

What is wrong with you!?!?

Reported. Enjoy your ban.
    No need to worry, he should be getting wrecked anytime now.

His new gimmick is trying to convince us that there's a super secret network of long time posters that are creating new accounts pretending to be him, and he's sworn to secrecy on their identities.

BUT IT'S REAL!!!!1
    Last edited by Methais; 04-26-2018 at 01:15 PM.

See? Rekt.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    See? Rekt.
    Not really rekt if he just resurrects.

Zomg doesn't that rhyme?