Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spells vs. 3x PT

Default Spells vs. 3x PT

I have a mid 70s warrior... I really enjoy spells also. With that in mind, how badly would I be affected if I were to do the following:

Drop from 3x PF to 2x PF and learn 13 spells? With a priority once at cap to get to 3x PF (which I would have 18 spells at cap).

Would the DFredux hit be to much to handle or?

This would cut out my exchanging of MTPs to PTPs effectively.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Shaps; 05-21-2016 at 05:43 PM.

I'm not sure how much you would miss out on as far as redux goes but PF is nuts for maneuver protection.

My empath is 3x in PF and he laughs at maneuvers that typically kill my other pures.

Ya. I would still be 2x in PF, just see so many do fine till cap with 2x in it.. trying to figure out if would be okay to cap that way. 3xPF of course would be first skill capped once there (if I ever make it).

PF is so cheap for a warrior. I'd recommend getting to 3x as quickly as you can, then get the spells if you want to. One way to do it is to just build up your basic and tertiary skills, until they're a bit higher than you'd probably want them, then fixskill into your 18 or whatever spell ranks, with some tertiary skills at lower than desired levels, then just build them back up. This involves a bit more than tertiary to be really effective, (temp reductions in MOC and dropping a dozen third ranks of dodge aren't really tertiary , but this build up and then shave off method has worked well for me, giving me maximum enjoyment out of my TP's.
    Last edited by Archigeek; 05-21-2016 at 11:06 PM.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

You only really need spell ranks if you are going into the rift, I think. But I could be lying since I've neither had any spell ranks yet or hunted in the rift.

Appreciate the feedback.

Vorpodu - I am looking to hunt the rift, one of the reasons I'm considering it.

Archigeek - Agree. And that is what I had planned, but I have 24 levels to cap and I'm currently at Training Points: 0 Phy 24 Mnt (1468 Mnt converted to Phy).

By dropping PF down to 2x - I would then cut out any conversion of points. But I am not good enough on the math to know if that would hamper my survivability having that many spells prior to cap. If I stay 3x PF, then I will definitely use your conversion strategy post cap.

Full skills for those inclined with math and post level 75 hunting grounds:

(at level 76), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 256 156
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 256 156
    Polearm Weapons....................| 256 156
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 178 78
    Physical Fitness...................| 334 234
    Dodging............................| 256 156
    Survival...........................| 4 0
    Perception.........................| 178 78
    Climbing...........................| 150 50
    Swimming...........................| 150 50
    First Aid..........................| 4 0

Spell Lists
    Minor Spiritual....................| 1
    Training Points: 0 Phy 24 Mnt (1468 Mnt converted to Phy

You can easily get minor spiritual spells to 107 and ME to 414 with items and scrolls. That's a pretty viable option pre-cap, and even post-cap up to the point where you decide you want to pursue 425 and 430. I did that for a long time, then trained to 107 in one batch, then quite some time later I trained the elemental side.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

I agree with Archigeek 100%. Hold off on learning spells until you are able to convert some tertiary skills into a justifiable spell rank like 425, 430 or whatever you cannot easily obtain through scrolls and magic items. If you want to play a magical warrior MIU and AS will provide you with the most flexible and enjoyable training for now without disrupting your core training. Especially since you are interested in the rift it will be very easy to get all the minors from other players or scrolls and they will not fall off in the rift (just dont swim in). Personally, my warrior did this until he could justify converting some skills to learn 425.

As far as the impact of spells on your survivability such a small amount of spells wont cripple your redux but it might be noticeable since you are going from 3x to 2x PF. AFAIK, redux is only completely removed with 2x spell training which is something a warrior will never see.

I used magic items and rods imbedded with spells for the rift. I went with them for duration and the fact that 120 isn't something you really find on scrolls but is easily imbedded. You don't even really need spells in the rift until you start hunting plane 4 and the scatter. You could hunt them without but the difference in annoyance while hunting changes drastically in favor of using spells, of course.

I've never been fond of the whole train something just to unlearn it for something else. I've only used a fixskills 3 times since capping I think. Once when I used my fixstat potion. Another time when I figured out that PF helped a lot better in Nelemar then swimming ranks, and the third time was just 40 ranks of THW for polearms because the spire was released and it made the transition from THW to polearm enhancives extremely easy. Outside of maybe helping people to test things I'll never use another fixskills again.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Lysistrata: "And I'm pretty perfect sooooo... What can I say. I'm dedicated. (To Jeril's cock.)"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeril View Post
    I used magic items and rods imbedded with spells for the rift. I went with them for duration and the fact that 120 isn't something you really find on scrolls but is easily imbedded. You don't even really need spells in the rift until you start hunting plane 4 and the scatter. You could hunt them without but the difference in annoyance while hunting changes drastically in favor of using spells, of course.

I've never been fond of the whole train something just to unlearn it for something else. I've only used a fixskills 3 times since capping I think. Once when I used my fixstat potion. Another time when I figured out that PF helped a lot better in Nelemar then swimming ranks, and the third time was just 40 ranks of THW for polearms because the spire was released and it made the transition from THW to polearm enhancives extremely easy. Outside of maybe helping people to test things I'll never use another fixskills again.
    I think your second paragraph there is just a personal choice that's maybe more RP related. To some, maybe including Jeril, it seems jarring to lose a skill in an instant, and I get that. But the fact is that you can do it if you want to, and you're comfortable with it. Since I'm never totally slashing a skill down to zero, but am just trimming here to add there, I don't find it jarring from an RP perspective. Completely forgetting how to hurl and taking up archery, or something like that, would probably freak me out.