Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Stellaris

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I mean, is it really an empire if you don't control over 1000 systems?
    Fuck no!

This game really does grow on you once you get the hang of how to play and when things start moving on.

It's pretty different from most empire building games.

3. Default

How is the combat compared to Sins of a Solar Empire?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    How is the combat compared to Sins of a Solar Empire?
    It is closer to combat in Paradox's other titles. It looks like it is real time, but once units engaged they are locked in. You just point them at the enemy, and get them into comnbat and watch. You can reinforce and stuff or click the button to retreat, but that is about it.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

5. Default

Combat between the two is like comparing apples to sharting. You basically pick between ship options allowing various weapon sizes, outfit them as best you can depending on whether you want to do more damage to armor or shields, longer range, etc., throw them in a fleet, optionally recruit and attach an admiral, and send them off.

Then you watch them fly around each other with lots of pew pewing and explosions, and it basically autoresolves as you watch (lots of hidden dice rolls, I believe.) The only "tactics" involved is hoping you outfit, out tech, and outnumber the other guy. Basically highest numbers win.

Combat isn't the highlight. It's mostly just something that happens and you're commanding it from a strategic scale instead, with it being possible that you've got many battles happening simultaneously in addition to having to manage all your other efforts.

Yeah the combat is nothing special. Like Enceladus said the combat is just something that's there and you deal with it similarly to how you deal with investigating an anomaly or choosing what you want to build on a planet; that is you pretty much just point and click.

But that's fine for me, the game is plenty interesting without an overly involved combat system.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, I recommend the mod 2d Maps. The 3d part is just annoying.

In my current game I invaded a rival of mine encroaching on my territory, won the war, took as many planets as my warscore allowed and then purged the populations of all of those planets because they were disgusting snail people who had sentient robots. Looks like the universe doesn't look kindly on that because the rest of the civilizations surrounding me have allied together and have boxed me into my own sector of the galaxy. Now I'm basically stuck to colonizing every single planet in the territory I have. I can't go anywhere else because I'm hated by everyone and I doubt I could take them all on in another war.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kalishar View Post
    In my current game I invaded a rival of mine encroaching on my territory, won the war, took as many planets as my warscore allowed and then purged the populations of all of those planets because they were disgusting snail people who had sentient robots. Looks like the universe doesn't look kindly on that because the rest of the civilizations surrounding me have allied together and have boxed me into my own sector of the galaxy. Now I'm basically stuck to colonizing every single planet in the territory I have. I can't go anywhere else because I'm hated by everyone and I doubt I could take them all on in another war.
    Oh, just chill a bit. Their alliance will break apart over time. Use heavy diplomacy on a couple of them and win them over. You do get punished for being super evil, but it just takes time to get good again.

I did the same thing, but I replaced them all with robot slaves.
    Last edited by Gelston; 05-20-2016 at 02:59 PM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post

I did the same thing, but I replaced them all with robot slaves.
    Servitors?