Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stellaris

Blog Entries

Default Stellaris

Got this yesterday...

Holy fuck, amazing. Like, you start playing at 7, and then before you realize it it is 4 AM.

It is basically a mix between Sins of a Solar Empire and Europa Universalis. It is made by Paradox and uses the Clauswitz Engine.

If you love Galactic Civ and space 4x games in general, you'll love this. I got the Nova pack, but you don't really need it. You can create any race you want.

Fun thing I did, I created the "Roman Empire" in space... I came across our dear solar system... Earth was at about where we are right now, even had the ISS floating around.... So I built an orbital observation post. Now, when you have an observation post around a primitive planet, you have 4 options. You can passively observe- You do nothing, aggressively observe- You abduct shit a bunch, Technology share- you basically advance them and make them your protectorate, and Infiltrate- you send down agents disguised as them to infiltrate ever faucet of their leadership.

I went with Infiltrate. I nearly got caught towards the end, and since no one knew aliens existed yet they blamed another nation, and a nuclear war almost happened, but I was able to use my other agents to prevent it... Over the course of 40 years, I had infiltrated ever position of power in ever major government on Earth. When the time came, I revealed my empire to them and their world leaders (My disguised agents) immediately voted to join my intergalactic Empire.

Oh, you can also just land an army on their planets and wipe them the fuck out or enslave them.

Another thing that is cool as fuck, if you find a presentient species, you can screw with their genetics to give them whatever traits you want... You can turn them into a race of loyal, super strong slave soldiers if you so desire.
    Last edited by Gelston; 05-10-2016 at 09:40 AM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post

It is basically a mix between Sins of a Solar Empire and Europa Universalis.
    Yeah but there is no real tactical fleet commanding is there? From the streams I've watched it's like you can design and customize your fleet, but then just group them up and have them murder each other like CK2/EU4, just with lasers. I want to pick it up but I haven't finished Dark Souls 3 and Warhammer comes out in a couple of weeks.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Yeah but there is no real tactical fleet commanding is there? From the streams I've watched it's like you can design and customize your fleet, but then just group them up and have them murder each other like CK2/EU4, just with lasers. I want to pick it up but I haven't finished Dark Souls 3 and Warhammer comes out in a couple of weeks.
    No, not really. It definitely does lean more to EU, but it has nicer looking battle animations to make it appear as if it is a RTS. You can also have multiple fleets come in and such. You can have one fleet engage so you can retreat a different one and such, so it has that degree of fleet tactics. It mostly comes down to tech and design though. And numbers last of all. The battles aren't quite up to Sins level, but visually, they are close enough... And the game behind it is far superior.

Blog Entries

My last campaign, I played it how the Imperium of Man does stuff. You can create sectors, so that is what I did, and in each system I created a small fleet set to aggressive. They attack any hostiles that appear in. Then I'd have one massive sector fleet that responds to larger incursions. I called one Battlefleet Gothic, because it was in the Gothic Sector.

This game is definitely prime for a full scale Warhammer 40k mod though. It even has a purge option to kill xenos. You can have thousands of systems when set to huge.
    Last edited by Gelston; 05-10-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Blog Entries

How does this compare to Galactic Civ 3?

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    How does this compare to Galactic Civ 3?
    Graphically superior, I think the underlying engine is better. You can definitely tell this is a newer game. I like the research tree in GC way better though... Because there isn't a visible tree in this game... At least not that I've found.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Graphically superior, I think the underlying engine is better. You can definitely tell this is a newer game. I like the research tree in GC way better though... Because there isn't a visible tree in this game... At least not that I've found.
    Does it scratch a similar itch though, like with most 4x games though? Or does it revolutionize it enough that this'll be the only 4x game I'll want to play?

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    Does it scratch a similar itch though, like with most 4x games though? Or does it revolutionize it enough that this'll be the only 4x game I'll want to play?
    Yes and no. It seems like there are a lot more options available in it and diplomacy seems a little bit "smarter" than other 4x games I've played. It still has all the basics over all of them though.

I'd say it was well worth the $50 I spent (I got the Nova edition) and it ate my entire night. And hell, it is from Paradox, so you know they're going to be supporting it for a long time.

Steam currently has it at "Overwhelmingly Positive".
    Last edited by Gelston; 05-10-2016 at 10:48 AM.

I sharted on this game.

Blog Entries

I dunno, nowadays, my view of value is incredibly skewed with how many super cheap/F2P purchases I've found on Steam and gotten ridiculous amounts of gameplay with. If a game isn't fully revolutionary, I likely won't pick it up.
    Actually, that's kind of my view of Overwatch... It's a great game, but it's not unique enough and leaps and bounds above alternative F2P or cheap options to really validate the $40/$60 pricetag.

Gemcraft 2: $10, basic, well made tower defense game, clocked in 58 hours
    One Way Heroics: $3.50, clocked in 13 hours.
    Fallout 4: $60 Clocked in about 50 hours
    TERA: I'm a founder, but it's F2P now, clocked in 279 hours