Thread: Scam Alert - SashaFierce / Alastir

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Scam Alert - SashaFierce / Alastir

PSA:

Alastir scammed an uninformed player out of a golvern segment for 1m silvers (Market price 50-75M). Alastir was aware of the price and the rarity and yet did it anyways. He used an alt of his so he could feign ignorance and present himself as an uninformed buyer. He was using both of his characters to alternate spamming the merchant channel. I've posted the logs below.

Everyone should be very careful when going into new events that have new mechanics. Don't take any offers, be careful of people you don't recognize. If they look like a wolf in a red cape, run away.

And don't buy anything from Alastir/Sashafierce.

Line 11639: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a thin kakore strip and a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment"
    Line 14365: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a thin kakore strip and a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment"
    Line 15818: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a thin kakore strip and a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment"
    Line 15982: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a thin kakore strip and a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment"
    Line 16171: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment! Last piece needed! Paying well!"
    Line 16380: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment! Last piece needed! Paying well!"
    Line 16500: [Merchant]-GSIV:Alastir: "Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment - offering 11m."
    Line 16550: [Merchant]-GSIV:Alastir: "Well, I'll match any price, I actually have a pendant, and I only need the golvern segment"
    Line 17108: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment! Last piece needed! Paying well!"
    Line 17265: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment! Last piece needed! Paying well!"
    Line 17602: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment! Last piece needed! Paying well!"
    Line 18639: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment! Last piece needed! Paying well!"
    Line 19021: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment! Last piece needed! Paying well!"
    Line 21695: [Merchant]-GSIV:Sivalis: "I found a pendant, help me fill it! -- Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment! Last piece needed! Paying well!"
    Line 6541: [Merchant]-GSIV:Alastir: "Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment. Offering silvers, bloodscrip, whatever."
    Line 11549: [Merchant]-GSIV:Alastir: "Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment. Offering silvers, bloodscrip, whatever."
    Line 18107: [Merchant]-GSIV:Alastir: "Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment. Offering silvers, bloodscrip, whatever."
    Line 26932: [Merchant]-GSIV:Alastir: "Looking for a reticulated crystal-edged golvern segment. Offering silvers, bloodscrip, whatever."

EDIT:

More and more people have been posting that its "ok" and that its "legal" and "capitalism." So, first off, the term 'legal' or 'illegal' should be clarified. Legality infers criminal sanctions. There is generally no crimes associated with the above (that I know of) except in the context of abusing the elderly. E.g. Selling ant-aging creams to the elderly.

So, people are probably referring to 'civil liability', the non-criminal side. And, I hate to break it to you, but there is civil liability for buying extremely low and selling extremely high. In fact, there is multitudes of ways to void a contract (reverse the sale) when one party is uninformed or unknowledgeable, and the other the opposite. For any sale there is a contract, written or implied. In order for a contract to be formed, there has to be a 'meeting of the minds.' Parties cannot 'meet' if they do not understand what they are selling, or if one person is at an advantage to the other.

The legal term is called 'unconscionability'. This is an excerpt from a contracts book:

b. Substantive: The "substantive" sort of unconscionability occurs where the clause or contract itself (rather than the process used to arrive at the contract) is unduly unfair and one-sided. [485]

i. Excessive price: An important example of substantive unconscionability is where the seller charges an excessive price. Usually, an excessive price clause only comes about when there is also some sort of procedural unconscionability (e.g., an uneducated consumer who doesn’t understand what he is agreeing to), since otherwise the consumer will usually simply find a cheaper supplier. [485 - 486]
    And for the record. 1m to 75m = 7500% mark up.

TL;DR - Anyone who says 'capitalism' or 'its legal' or 'buyer beware' has no fucking clue what they are talking about.
    Last edited by Haldrik; 05-09-2016 at 02:57 PM.